Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 10, 2018   #1
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Default Weather Leaf Roll - No Shade

Planted some un-planted plants in a area that sees sun from 10:30'ish going well into 5:30pm today, before it starts to die down in intensity.

Plants are in fabric pots.
Same plants in fabric pots in another area are just fine.
I suspect these are just weather stressed from the sun. Roots get hot, etc, etc. The lower half of each plant just has leaf curl. Watering is on drip and is fine and consistent.

Just short of figuring out some shading, anything I can do otherwise.
Same area that sees same sun intensity but in dirt, no leaf curl
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Around here there are some white food buckets 5 gallons with tight fitting lids which you can get free or for a couple dollars from stores that distribute those foods (mine are salt beef buckets).
If you fill those buckets with water and tightly seal the lid, then group the buckets around your fabric pots on the sunny side, it will prevent them from overheating.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2018   #3
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure if it's the roots feeling the heat that is causing the left roll or just the sunlight. They are not happy either way, with them rolling up to protect themselves. Some have fruits already and plenty of blossoms. I did spy a couple of dried out flowers.

Going to redo the watering emitter for this area Add a extra emitter per pot and also increase the frequency to early afternoon drip session as well
Old June 12, 2018   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Its been very hot for this area, relentlessly. Every 3 or 4 days a monster thunderstorm comes along and dumps over an inch of rain, and I generously water every day at least once. It hasn't helped with the varieties experiencing the worst of the leaf roll. They are the early varieties and mostly in pots. I think it is the heat.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018   #5
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Remind me. Once the roll - do they eventually uncurl.
Old June 13, 2018   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

Some will uncurl and some might not.

I had some plants that were curling due to too much watering earlier this spring. Let em dry out and they uncurled alright. Those were upper leaves.

OTOH I have had plants that curled their leaves in a cold spell, and they stayed curled all summer... maybe they grew that way and could no longer change back.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018   #7
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Bower.How do you get too much water in your container plants...for me, just due to my medium, it's actually a bit too airy. It's been a very loooong time I planted veg in a plastic pot, which I know can hold water...my container setup is fabric pots, and bark/extra coarse vermic.
Old June 14, 2018   #8
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

We as giant competition growers see leaf curl all the time, if it's not curling your not pushing them hard enough, so everyone is good with leaf curl,my WR certainly had leaf curl. So it's not always a bad sign ☺
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018   #9
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I do sorta know why I need to adjust the emitters on my pots. On a whim, I decided to add more containers to my stash, and I basically recycled my mixes with bark that was really composted to be a good medium. So it's a bit touch too non-water rententive. Come next spring, the mix will be nice and composted and I will just need to top-off with more coarse vermic. As this stuff breaks down, it settles down quite a bit in the pots in the winter months.

The leaf roll is just eyesore...when I have another stash of pots with perfect happy leaves.