Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 8, 2021   #46
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
@ Fred Hempel- How big is the Creamsicle plant, say relative to Pink Cherrywine or Madera? 1.5-2" long fruit (from your picture)? Would it be container friendly, maybe in a 15 gallon bag? I've found that quite a few IND tomatoes do very well in grow bags, and yield well, but do not grow huge.
It is usually one of the biggest and most productive small-fruited plants in our field. Massive vines. The only OP grape of ours that we are happy with.

Last edited by Fred Hempel; August 8, 2021 at 03:06 AM.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2021   #47
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I found Sungrape at Osborne Seeds. The only "Sun" product that I've had trouble with is Sungold -- splits very badly for me. Sunorange solves that. So for me in 5b, anything "Sun" from Tokita is likely going to be a good bet.

I also think that Napa Grape hybrid from Burpee might be worth another try. I grew it years ago when introduced, so I don't remember much about it. It is supposedly a smaller IND plant that looks like it would be container-friendly. I'm definitely looking for plants that will do nicely in an EarthBox or GrowBag.

Last edited by Greatgardens; August 8, 2021 at 08:05 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2021   #48
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Ha ha Karen. Guess I'm lucky to have dogs and chickens to eat the new-to-me varieties that didn't pan out . Mine have all tasted watered down so far, due to several heavy rains and picking at first blush didn't even help.......

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2021   #49
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Ruby Crush - One gardening friend I provided 2 RC seedling to has reported back that yes, thick skin and not the best taste, but growth is very easy to control, and it is very productive in pots.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2021   #50
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
So for me in 5b, anything "Sun" from Tokita is likely going to be a good bet.
I'm definitely looking for plants that will do nicely in an EarthBox or GrowBag.
For me, Sun Lemon is always a shorter Tokita, and the taste is great when it is allowed to properly ripen. I also find that Golden Cherry is the shortest of it, SunGold and SunOrange. I don't find much difference in taste between the 3. But the rest of the Tokitas are monsters.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2021   #51
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I will certainly continue to experiment with other varieties (such as AAS Celano), but I'm glad that I grew Ruby Crush. To me the taste was excellent, and the plant really had no other faults. It has a very strong "tomatoey" flavor. I've personally never tasted a grape tomato that was really sweet, as with some cherries. RC is versatile -- great for slicing in half or quarters on salads as well as snacking. They remind me of Juliet, but smaller fruit and on a very manageable 4-ft plant. It was very surprising that RC did so much better in an EarthBox than in the ground. Nearly all of the fruit from the EB are large, while the plant in-ground had significantly smaller fruit, and tasted inferior also. My cherry tomatoes in the ground are right next to RC, and they did great.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote