Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 6, 2021   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Are there tomato varieties resistant to sunscald?

Sunscald has been a big issue this summer with my regular tomatoes. Much less so with cherries and grapes. These tomatoes get about 7 hours of direct sun daily. Both my project dwarfs (Dwarf Arctic Rose and Rosella Purple?) had major problems with sunscald. Are there dwarfs that have good foliage cover -- i.e. "bushy?" Do lighter skin tomatoes (yellow/orange) have less sunburn?
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2021   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Pinks seem most susceptible to me. Followed by reds. Most resistant are gwrs and yellows, probably due to the lack of the red pigment that degrades at high temps. I did have a dwarf that was particularly susceptible, so maybe there is a relation. New big dwarf has very good cover.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2021   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

It appears to be geometry related from what I've observed. The larger and flatter the surface of the fruits, getting direct rays of the sun, seems to have the highest degree of sunscald. Very large, oblate beefsteaks get it the worst, round cherries basically never, and medium sized globes are in between those extremes.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2021   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Also foliage amounts and shapes help to protect or allow sun scald. Tall, thin or wispy foliage allows the sun to affect fruits. Bushy and dense foliage protects tomatoes from sunlight. On my skinny and small leafed plants there is more sun scald.
Old August 6, 2021   #5
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I use a living mulch and let the plants sprawl
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote