Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old July 15, 2006   #16
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinking black plastic to heat up the soil.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2006   #17
username5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Vic
"Next year I will be using framed raised beds and will preheat the soil to see if it makes a difference." [Username]

User, that sounds like a good idea.

I don't know how many plants you intend to set out in frame-topped beds or what you intend to cap the frames with ...
Well, I was thinking of heating the beds BEFORE setting any plants out. Since the beds will all be framed and raised I figure covering with clear plastic (used for solarizing soil) will be cheap and effective.

I probably will cut small holes in the plastic at planting time to try and keep the soil warm in the spring. Once the real warmth sets in I would remove it. Another issue I have with warming soil is the spring rains which are heavy and frequent. It is very cold water. I figure the plastic will reduce the amount of cold water that gets in while retaining the warmed water already in.

Quote:
But in the interest of economy, have you thought of over-diggin' your planting holes, ploppin' a shovel full of hot steamy horse pie in the bottom of each hole, covering that with about 8 inches of planting soil to prevent root burn, setting you seedlings in, and covering the surface of the planted bed with strips of black plastic?
You know, I have. I have had some absolutely crazy ideas over the years including this really nutty one based upon pig roasts. You know how pigs are sometimes cooked underground for a luau? A deep hole is dug and wood is burned until just hot embers are left. A pig is tossed in and covered with soil. This traps enough heat that the pig cooks and is really tasty. I have considered burning wood in early spring, digging a trench and putting the hot ashes/embers in and then covering.

I figure the idea is doomed to failure as the heat would disipate soon enough.

Using fresh manure or any other quick to heat up compostable is another idea, but the problem is I am quite adverse to digging in my clay/rock soil. Laziness and the desire to not sweat get's the best of me each year.

So, I figure I will build up in the cool of fall and then just cover for heat. It suits my lazy nature.

Quote:
That may warm up your planting bed sufficiently to jump start your crop without covering the beds with more expensive framing.

PV
Well, I am not one to work hard, so no worries there. Erecting framing is work. Building the framed beds this fall and pounding in stakes to support vining crops is more work than I would be willing to do if not for the fact that the work will provide benefits for years to come.

When it comes to heating the soil my work will be limited to putting down clear platic over the frames and securing it in place and then getting back inside and laying on the couch while the sun does the rest.
username5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2006   #18
bugsy
Tomatovillian™

supergirl,

I have a garden in the Bay Area as well as one in Southern California. In San Jose, May isn't too late to set out plants though I think you could set out the cool loving ones earlier. For instance, in your area, I would set out Brandywine a tad earlier but I'm not sure how much earlier since I'm in Berkeley which is a little cooler.

The Bay Area gets that spell of warm weather around September which seems to really do the tomatoes good. Instead of trying to grow your tomatoes earlier, you could just try growing stuff like carrots and lettuce in the early months. You have a long growing season and have no need to stretch it. Personally I prefer southern California, but I have to admit, the summers up here are much nicer to live with.
bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2006   #19
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks bugsy. I know our season is long, and there are plenty of other things to grow. I think I'll just aim for a couple-three weeks earlier, and I'm going to throw in a couple of slightly earlier (not actually early, more early mid-season, since I don't feel like I need to rush it) varieties into the mix next year. I was just pretty jealous I did this post. It seemed like everyone else -- including folks in much cooler zones -- was getting tomatoes already, and I didn't even have a blush on anything yet! I've been getting tomatoes for the last week or two now, so I'm feeling more content.
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2006   #20
pbud
Tomatovillian™

Supergirl,
I'm across the bay from you in Oakland, very near Emeryville - so, definitely cooler. I ususally aim to start my seeds in Feb and get plants in the ground around April 15 - tax day is easy to remember. Then my plants grow and look great for months yet have no ripe fruit, and people who started plants much later in cooler zones start posting tasting reports and I wish I had a bit more heat. So far this year I've had ripe Kimberly, Galina, and Black Cherry - that's it of about 20 plants. Carbon and Marianna's Peace are blushing and Cherokee green's about to blush, but that's it. (I actually have a few plants in much warmer Martinez from which I've eaten bigger tomatoes - Earl's Faux and Burraker's Favorite - but nothing over here).

I've planted out before April 15th, but haven't found that strategy to work well often enough to make it worthwhile.

Good luck,
Paul
pbud is offline   Reply With Quote