Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 7, 2006   #1
jan
Tomatovillian™

Default 1 vs 2 per container

I know a lot of people put 2 plants per 18US gal Rubbermaid tote. But if you've got 2 **of the same type of tomato** are you better off planting 1 or 2 of them in a tub (when you're running out of containers) for the best overall production?

I guess here in the PNW, I also have to think about the benefits of just 1 having better air circulation than 2.

Thanks for any input,
~jan
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2006   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Determinate or Indeterminate tomato?
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2006   #3
jan
Tomatovillian™

Well, I have extras of:
Kimberly --semi-determinate;
Orange Russian --not Orange Russian #117; I'm assuming this is indeterminate, but I don't know for sure. My seedlings of these seem a bit smaller than most of my others;
or
Silvery Fir Tree -- determinate -but I'm not likely to use this size of pot for this plant.

In my climate, my determinates produce for about as long as my indeterminates.

Thanks,
~jan
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #4
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Jan if you have two containers why not experiment and put 1 in one and 2 in the other?

If you only have one container I think one is better for optimum production and health

however if you just want to 'taste' more tomato varieties go with the two.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #5
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Jan, I have tried that experiment and I didn't see much better production by having only one per 18 gal tote, So I optimize the space by putting two per.
Old June 8, 2006   #6
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Last year I had some tubs with 2 plants each and some 5-gal. buckets with 1 plant each sitting on the driveway, besides having some plants in the ground. Planting 2 to a tub didn't seem to reduce production at all, they did just as well as the ones in the ground.

As far as having better air circulation with just 1 to a container, I noticed something interesting last year. The ones that were planted singly in buckets did have better air circulation resulting in much lower humidity around them, which was much to the liking of the hordes of spider mites that flourished on those plants. The plants that were in the ground or planted 2 to a tub weren't bothered.

Spider mites have never been much of a problem outdoors in our climate, so I was really surprised to see what a mess they made of the plants in the buckets. This year I'm putting 2 to a tub again to help keep the spider mite population under control.

Early blight was just as bad on the other plants as it was on the ones in the tubs, so I don't think planting 2 to a tub made any difference at all for that.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #7
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Jan, Kimberly has gotten really big for me so I wouldn't advise putting it in with anything else. This year I have treated Sophie's Choice and Silvery Fir Tree like potted flowers because they really are pretty plants. Very bushy and round so you might consider that in your planning. Good luck in your decision, it's always hard when you have plants left over and want to plant them ALL!!
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2006   #8
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

Bcday, -- That is interesting. I have one per 18 gal. tote, and would like to have two in them next year. Did you cage or stake? If you staked, did you limit the number of vines at all. Thanks.

Bret
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2006   #9
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Bret, some of the plants were determinate types that were grown in short cages and not pruned at all. A few were indeterminates that were trained to tall stakes rather than caged, and I only removed the suckers below the first blossom cluster. I also pinched out the tops of the indeterminates near the end of the season because they were getting too top-heavy and any fruit at the top wouldn't have time to ripen before frost anyway.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2006   #10
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I think you'll be fine putting two plants in the container - as long as they are not Sungolds. They grow so aggressively that they really compete for the space. The year I grew two Sungolds in a self-watering container, I never had so many of those tomatoes, but I had to keep figuring out creative ways to tie them up so I could keep them off the ground.

This year, I had an extra self-watering container and a bunch of extra plants ... since I already had a couple of Sungolds in my in-the-ground garden, I've planted one Sungold and one German Johnson in the same container. It's clear the Sungold is winning in terms of taking over the space, but the other plant is giving me some production too.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote