Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 14, 2018   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default This years garden tomatoes

I'm going to grow only 2 type of tomatoes this year.Cherokee Purple and Brandywine pink.I'm going to get fresh seeds this season as the one's I have now are 5 or 6 years old.I'm also going to use a heating mat for the first time.Once I have my seedlings growing well I'll build a cold frame to harden them off in May using the frame.I now have to wait for the seeds to arrive in the local stores in this area.Pepper plants will be Nardello sweet and Long Cayenne for my hot variety.Can't wait for spring to arrive in Northeast Ohio!
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I was at walmart and Home Depot yesterday for seeds.
Old January 14, 2018   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

How was the selection?I will check that out this week,Thanks!!!!!Hope all is well with you.I think of you everytime I exit Rt 261 off of R t21 when I go to my daughter's house in Wadsworth.
Old January 14, 2018   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Well, I am finding the selections wanting. I also went to menards last night. I found two of my selections at Menards, neither at the others, but I was looking for specific hybrids. last years packet was marked 2.59 at Menards and not available this year except through the website for burpees at 5.99. oyvey! the seed racks/selections are getting smaller and smaller.

Hope to see you sometime. stop in when it warms up a bit and things are growing. nothing much going on right now. unless you want to shovel snow with me some morning. Saturdays was a doozy with the drifting. 20" or more by the doors and a dusting out by the street. 80 units. it took 3 of us 1 ¾ hrs to clean it up. usually it is and hour and a half for two of us.
Old January 14, 2018   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

If I had a truck I'd bring my snowblower over.They have a Menards going up a mile from me in the Falls but it's not ready to open.I'll get over this year,planning to retire in August so I should have time to stop your way when heading to our daughter's.We have a new grandson born 11-30-17,so we'll be in Wadsworth a lot this year.lol
Old January 14, 2018   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

congratulations!

I thought about the leaf blower yesterday.... it was light and fluffy in some places and hard in others. the snow blower would be hard to use, I do all the short sidewalks and the first 10' of each drive to keep the plow blades away from the garage doors. it is just that there are 80 of them in the development.
Old January 15, 2018   #7
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

No need to wait for your local garden center to open. There are many online sources for Cherokee Purple & the Pink Brandywine (Sudduth's Strain).
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #8
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I was looking online but for a few packs the shipping cost as much as the seeds in some cases.Then there's the seed count,some are 25+ to 75+ seeds per pack.I'm only looking for 2 types.Burpee's prices seem high to me for the seed count.
Old January 15, 2018   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

let me look through my seeds. I might have the brandywine strain... might. if I do you can have them.
Old January 15, 2018   #10
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

I agree that Burpee is too expensive. You can get what you need elsewhere, for far less.

Sample Seed Shop has your varieties for $1.75 ea. but only 15 seeds per packet. Its owner (Remy) is active here at the forum.

I've never ordered from Urban Farmer but it has them for $2 ea. (25 seeds per pkt.) & shipping to OH is just $2.

Seeds N Such has them for $2.79 ea. & shipping is a flat $3. I've ordered from that co. 3 years in a row. No problems thus far.

Last edited by nyrfan; January 15, 2018 at 07:34 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

ahh, sorry, I have black krim reg leaf (2013) and potato leaf and kellogs breakfast/ Landreth strain (2013? not marked not mine.. seed exchange). you welcome to either of them if you want them. pop me your address and I will put them in the mail box.
Old January 15, 2018   #12
asaump
Tomatovillian™

Ordered from Burpee last night. They have a BOGO sale right now. Sale ended yesterday but has been extended. This is my first go around with trying to start my own seedlings. If it was not for the BOGO at Burpee's I was going to pull the trigger and order from Seeds N' Such.
Will be my first try at a larger crop. Wish me luck!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seedorder.JPG (43.4 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by asaump; January 15, 2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added seed order
asaump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #13
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
ahh, sorry, I have black krim reg leaf (2013) and potato leaf and kellogs breakfast/ Landreth strain (2013? not marked not mine.. seed exchange). you welcome to either of them if you want them. pop me your address and I will put them in the mail box.
That's very kind of you,I have black krim.Cherokee purple is our favorite and does well,been having trouble with black krim might be to old seeds.Plants seemed very weak and did not grow well.I hoping with my tillage radishes planted for my winter crop I'll have better loose soil since I'm doing notil.

Last edited by cjp1953; January 15, 2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old January 15, 2018   #14
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I ordered my usual. Sweet Success, Golden Egg, and Juliet. Decided to try the Creme de la Creme melon for my fourth pack to get free shipping.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #15
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Those sound very interesting,can't go wrong with free shipping