Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 23, 2016   #46
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I looked for a while on the Lincoln Nebraska website for something to help.
What a conglomerated red tape nightmare.

My question is there has to be people that buy these things there and put them up.

Something doesn't smell right to me almost like a wild goose chase down red tape lane.

Worth
There are quite a few greenhouses around, but they are either:
1. Smaller then 120 SQFT, negating the bldg permit requirement
2. Built on land not zoned as residential
3. Outside the reach of the city's jurisdiction

Since my structure is 440 SQFT, built on land zoned as AGR-Residential (the designation for an acreage), and outside city limits, yet still within a 3 mile "zone of influence" I have no other choice.

If my lot was 0.01 acres smaller in size, I would really be SOL since additional structures greater then 120 SQFT are not allowed on smaller lots.

I finalized my plans last night and sent them to the engineer for review...fingers crossed it meets the design criteria.

Ended up having to put hoop sections 3 ft. on center, upgrade to all 1-5/8" OD 14 gauge material, use 3 ft. deep concrete footers for each hoop section and ground posts have to be 1-7/8" OD 14 gauge. Each hoop is also braced out the wazoo.
pecker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #47
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

You've taken due diligence, if something freakish or catastrophic happens it'll be a lot better for you legally, and for your own conscience.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #48
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

What's funny is how I keep trying to convince my dad that he needs a greenhouse. Why?
1. his farm is on 80+ acres, zoned as Agriculture; owns another 1000+ acres
2. well outside any city limits and code jurisdiction
3. could easily apply for the NRCS grant program and get the entire structure paid for by the GOV

He keeps telling me "you city slickers love to be outside after work, I want to be inside". It's funny how your perspective on hobby/work changes according to your everyday job.

Again, I'll keep everyone posted on how this unfolds.
Old February 23, 2016   #49
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I read about the zone of influence somewhere in that mess.
We have zone restrictions too but it is easier to find.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2016   #50
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I read about the zone of influence somewhere in that mess.
We have zone restrictions too but it is easier to find.

Worth
I need to hire you as my bldg code consultant!
Old February 23, 2016   #51
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker88 View Post
I need to hire you as my bldg code consultant!
I do things on the up and up here at home too, some people dont and they get away with it all of the time.
I am a fire alarm tech and have to deal with codes all of the time.
Not only mine but the NEC, State Elevator and building codes.

When I put my underground sprinkler system in I studied all of the national plumbing codes for water contamination and cross connections.
It is amazing what the rules are.
But they are there for a reason.
I can run a chemical plant on the back side of the reduced pressure assembly I put in for back flow prevention.
This is something you might want to look into if you ever want to do fertilizer injection in the greenhouse.
I dont begrudge you one bit for wanting to do things the right way.

Worth
Old February 23, 2016   #52
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I can run a chemical plant on the back side of the reduced pressure assembly I put in for back flow prevention.
Hillarious

I work with Fed. compliance regulations on a daily basis, so following rules is nothing new to me either. I just don't want to get a nasty gram in the mail from the city instructing me to tear it down after spending thousands.

I tapped into the 1" sprinkler line that feeds a valve box and buried about 50' of PVC to where the greenhouse will be. The sprinkler contractor has obiv. already taken care of the back flow prevention. No injection here; I'm keeping things simple to start.

I also plan on stringing out an extension cord and gas line in the winter for heat. Don't want to rent a trencher and deal with electric/gas contractors, permits, ect........Yet.
Old February 23, 2016   #53
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker88 View Post
Hillarious

I work with Fed. compliance regulations on a daily basis, so following rules is nothing new to me either. I just don't want to get a nasty gram in the mail from the city instructing me to tear it down after spending thousands.

I tapped into the 1" sprinkler line that feeds a valve box and buried about 50' of PVC to where the greenhouse will be. The sprinkler contractor has obiv. already taken care of the back flow prevention. No injection here; I'm keeping things simple to start.

I also plan on stringing out an extension cord and gas line in the winter for heat. Don't want to rent a trencher and deal with electric/gas contractors, permits, ect........Yet.
I asked the lady at town hall about green houses some time ago I just have to get a permit and there are requirements for square feet and so on.
Ted the Inspector and approver is no idiot.
I called so he could come out and inspect twice.
Once for ditches and once for the final.
He asked why I put the Back flow prevention by the house.
I told him theft and I didn't want to run 120 all the way to the street for freeze protection.

Here is my reduced pressure assembly everything up to code.
It not only leaks water below 34 degrees but has heat trace on it that goes on at just above freezing and is insulated.
If the water pressure on the supply side gets below the pressure on the right side it dumps out the bottom.
So not only 2 check valves but the extra protection.
Noting from my yard can get into the city water supply.

2013-01-29_15-07-02_191rs.jpg
Old March 8, 2016   #54
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Update 8 March:

After a few revisions, we now have a final set of plans, Engineer will be stamping them later this week. I spoke with the folks at city hall and they said if snow, wind and soil design criteria are listed on the cover page, along with the Eng. seal I will have a bldg permit in minutes. I sure hope that's the case because I've spent about $3k on building material so far.

Also had a surveyor out yesterday and put stakes every 20 feet along the lot line. Wish I would have done this before building a swing set / playground! Lets just say I hope the adjacent lot stays vacant for awhile longer, or the new neighbors don't mind swing sets!

Final Plans below:

Last edited by pecker88; March 8, 2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old March 8, 2016   #55
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks great the concrete footers remind me of the mail boxes people put up here.
They are about a foot in the ground and are falling over.
Some goof ball kids were going down the road and running over them and hitting stuff in peoples yards.
I dont have a mail box but I put in an address post on my property.
It is 3 feet in the ground sunk in concrete with another foot of concrete above the ground.
If a goof ball wants to hit it they will be in for a surprise.

Worth
Old March 8, 2016   #56
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Think of it as a second home and it will seem less expensive.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #57
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Think of it as a second home and it will seem less expensive.
If I dont' get it constructed soon and move on my wife will make it my home for me!!
Old March 8, 2016   #58
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Wow, tornadoes are going to bounce off that thing.

Good luck with everything. I can't imagine having to deal with bureaucracy just to build a greenhouse.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #59
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Wow, tornadoes are going to bounce off that thing.

Good luck with everything. I can't imagine having to deal with bureaucracy just to build a greenhouse.
I sure hope so. Sucks having to deal with the city officials but there is nothing I can do short of buying land zoned as Agriculture.

Sure I could just build it, but my luck I would get a nasty gram in the mail ordering me to take it down. I would bet my only neighbors next to us are going to have a fit. The HOA president told me a few nights ago that they called him asking if there were covenants that required lot owners to mow the non-developed lot next to them. They were sick of all the "extra bugs and critters" coming onto their property...The pres. said they need to move back into the city.
Old March 9, 2016   #60
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Update 9 March:

BUILDING PERMIT IN HAND. Yes, I'm shouting with excitement.
Going to start bending hoops this wknd, next weekend start on footers.