Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old August 4, 2011   #31
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
Harbor Freight has reduced the price of their 10' x 12' greenhouse kit to $599.99 - Both Suze and I bought one last fall when they were $799.99. The assembly isn't for the timid and it's needs to be a bit reinforced, but you definitely can't beat the price - especially if you watch the newspaper for one of their 20% off any item coupons!

You can also find their 20% off coupons in the back of a lot of DIY magazines, such as Home Handyman and Popular Mechanics.

Below is a link to their website and assembly information in PDF format. They also have many retail locations and you'll save the shipping cost if you can find one near you.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x...nts-93358.html

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=

http://www.harborfreight.com/store-finder

http://www.harborfreightcoupon.org/
Somewhere I found a thread outlining how you assembled your greenhouse and problems you ran into, and now I can't find that discussion. Can you tell me where it was? I was considering purchasing one but was concerened about our New Mexcio sun and wind. I remember reading something about the poly panels not holding up in the sunbelt, has anyone found this to be true?
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011   #32
svalli
Tomatovillian™

We followed this blog http://hfgh10x12.blogspot.com/2007/0...t-link-it.html when building our greenhouse. It has also some information about damage caused by sun.

The reinforcements are needed for it to last any kind of wind.

Sari
Old August 8, 2011   #33
themartaman
Tomatovillian™

When I bought mine it was $500. Used the HB vent actuators and put a ceiling fan in. Have a 220 volt heater for winter. Hangs from frame. Used silicone caulk around all panels as the wind caused the clips to pop out. Then had to look for panel and clips. Have grown hydro tomatoes in it but used mostly to put all my wife's tropical plants. In winter temp stays 50 or above. I am 20 miles south of Atlanta, GA.
themartaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2011   #34
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

Martaman,
how long have you had yours up and in the elements? Have you had any yellowing or deteriation yet? Any other maladies other than the panels blowing off?
Thans, Mike
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2011   #35
themartaman
Tomatovillian™

Have had it for 5 or 6 years. Directions are ridiculous. The clips were the only problem. I actually think putting silicone caulk around all the panels makes it sturdier. Also stops leaks of air. The panels have yellowed slightly but I don't plan to clean them. The vent actuators from HF need to be installed and checked several times or they will stay open slightly. The ceiling fan runs all winter in reverse to blow heat around outside walls. Don't know wattage of heater as it was free with no labels. Works great though. Hope this helps.
Old August 8, 2011   #36
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Just be careful if you are in a windy area. I lost mine twice, once in a minor hurricane and once in just a bad thunderstorm. I have to confess, it did survive one hurricane intact.

And if I ever get another one, I will definitely use the silicon rubber on all seams. It will make it much stronger, think aquarium.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2011   #37
themartaman
Tomatovillian™

With all I have fastened inside the weight is probably 4 times as much as original. Made plant hanging rods and shelves out of conduit and some pvc. Fan hanging down and the heater weighs about 50 pounds. It is amazing how much stronger the caulking makes it seem. Seems to weld it all together.