Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 14, 2013   #16
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Wasn't Simpsons Farm in Jamul? I always liked Walter Andersons Nursery, they seemed to always have a nice selection.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013   #17
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Simpsons Nursery was in Jamul, but Mr and Mrs Simpson retired last year and closed up their nursery (which was really large, so it was unfortunate that their kids didn't want to keep it going). Andersons is old and kind of funky, but they always have many interesting varieties. Andersons does have a newer, larger location in Poway now also. Not too many independent nurseries left in the San Diego area anymore, which is too bad!

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013   #18
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I remember touring Simpsons Nursery, a neat place to take the kids when they were smaller. So Walter's is changing too. Too bad because I think I always liked them better than big box stores in the area. We have a couple of independant nurseries here in the coastal bend but even the big ones are starting to close up. One even became home builders instead, go figure.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2013   #19
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

37 again this morning...ugh.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2013   #20
ninilie
Tomatovillian™

I think it is suppose to get warmer come Wed. I sure hope so because I took a couple of days of from work for other reasons but has been able to bring plants in and out because of it. I go back to work on Wed and leave at 5:30am so hope for good weather. Heres to looking forward to warmer days.
ninilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2013   #21
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

left this morning and...it was 37 in Newport again.

I think i need to figure out some ventilation on my row cover cause it gets to 110 during the day when its only 50-65 out. hard to monitor being at work and all. But my min/max temp gauge shows the swing. Just seems like such a waste on a $10 row cover. KISS
Old January 16, 2013   #22
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Crandrew,

I think you can hold off on a ventilation system for now and take off the row cover -- the 5 day forecast for coastal southern CA is back up to the mid 40s at night. And supposed to get up to the high 70s during the day by Saturday. Finally!!

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2013   #23
ninilie
Tomatovillian™

Now it hot enough outside to wear shorts yay. My plants all seem happy today. My purple pok choi is getting more leaves, which makes me happy as I got the 4 plants 2 weeks ago from the farmers market. The only problem now its that one of my two cats or my dog likes how it tastes lol. Not sure if they ate some of the leaves when I brought them in the house at night or if they are going on the balcony to do it. I guess at least they are getting their greens. I put other potted plants around them now to hopefully keep my critters at bay. Funny thing is they havent touched the lettuce yet. I guess I will have to make up some cat grass, which they love. I cant make the container for the cat grass to big or they think I made them an out door cat box. I had to put wooden skewers in some of my pots that dont have big plants in them to keep the kitties out.
ninilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2013   #24
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Yay, it was only 42 this morning, its indeed warming up.
Old January 24, 2013   #25
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
I've also used a string of those little Christmas lights
That is a neat idea!

Cold nights make my tomatoes mushy, even when I get them to survive.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote