Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2017   #1
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Default Supporting a Monster

I have a plant that is now at the top of my 8 foot stake, and it isn't even June yet! I would like to allow this thing to continue, but I would love to hear some ideas on how to support it. I haven't had luck with making a turn at the top, and coming back down- I had some stalks snap that way. I was thinking of running a wire from the top of the stake to something sturdy, and tying the vine up on that as it grows. Any other ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLH 5-20-17.JPG (189.6 KB, 153 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #2
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

That is amazing!! Exactly what type is it?
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #3
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
That is amazing!! Exactly what type is it?
Dotson's Lebanese Heart (DLH). Out of 36 seedlings in the tray, this one just outgrew everything else and is twice as tall as anything out there now. It is a new heart variant of the Omar's Lebanese tomato that I discovered in my garden back in 2015.
Old May 20, 2017   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

The leaves on all your plants are gigantic. Have you grown tomatoes in this spot before? Some magic must be at work here. Did you cast a TTF (texas tomato food) spell on them?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #5
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
The leaves on all your plants are gigantic. Have you grown tomatoes in this spot before? Some magic must be at work here. Did you cast a TTF (texas tomato food) spell on them?

- Lisa
No, but 100 lbs. of rabbit poo seems to have done the trick
Old May 20, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Dotson's Lebanese Heart (DLH). Out of 36 seedlings in the tray, this one just outgrew everything else and is twice as tall as anything out there now. It is a new heart variant of the Omar's Lebanese tomato that I discovered in my garden back in 2015.
Actually it's a variant of what's called Omar's Lebanese Heart, since without Omar there wouldn't be a Dotson as well you know.

Darin,just letting you know that when I was going through my seeds recently I found the envelope where you had sent me seeds for which you said "possibly" a heart, and it sure was as you know.

We heart lovers,and I'm one of many, always love it when a heart variant of an original non heart appears, and there have been several,such as.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ge_Minsk_Heart

Carolyn
Old May 20, 2017   #7
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Awesome plant, oh my gosh.

I would use some 2x4 or just 2x2 and build a very tall frame to put around it. It might be kind of hard to build it around the plant though. It seems to me that a frame like that would help support the limbs growing up the sides as well.

Something similar to this, only built from wood.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/tomato-...1.html#start=1

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

If you make something like Rockporter suggested (out of 8ft lengths of 2 x 2 , in square shape and frame it together at the top and few place between the ground and top )it should work It should cascade. And if a limb cracks a bit , it will still grow and fruit.
To me, that plant is getting too much N.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #9
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Awesome plant, oh my gosh.

I would use some 2x4 or just 2x2 and build a very tall frame to put around it. It might be kind of hard to build it around the plant though. It seems to me that a frame like that would help support the limbs growing up the sides as well.

Something similar to this, only built from wood.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/tomato-...1.html#start=1
Thanks Rockporter! I'm afraid that without sinking the wood into the ground deeply, the whole kit and kaboodle would come down and decimate the rest of my plants! I can string the top to many objects around there, well off the ground. I may have to have 2 or three anchor points to keep it stationary. The other plants arent too far from 8 feet either- gracious.
Old May 20, 2017   #10
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
If you make something like Rockporter suggested (out of 8ft lengths of 2 x 2 , in square shape and frame it together at the top and few place between the ground and top )it should work It should cascade. And if a limb cracks a bit , it will still grow and fruit.
To me, that plant is getting too much N.
They are all getting the same amount of nitrogen. And yes, it's probably too much. Little Bunny Foo Foo did his thing.

I've been treating with Ca(NO3)2, as well as high phosphorus Super Bloom. Gardeneer- this plant did this in the seed tray, in the first pot, in the second pot, and now in the ground. It has flat out doubled in growth rate compared to the other seedlings, even it's own kind.
Old May 20, 2017   #11
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
I have a plant that is now at the top of my 8 foot stake, and it isn't even June yet! I would like to allow this thing to continue, but I would love to hear some ideas on how to support it. I haven't had luck with making a turn at the top, and coming back down- I had some stalks snap that way. I was thinking of running a wire from the top of the stake to something sturdy, and tying the vine up on that as it grows. Any other ideas?
That's a dandy Darin. Been following that big boy from the beginning.. Even the branches at the top are thick!. Everyone will be lookin for rabbit poo now.. Hope you figure out without having to build an Eiffel Tower.. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #12
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Are you getting good fruit set? If so I wouldn't worry about to much nitrogen, but if you have that much rabbit poo you likely dont need the Ca(NO3)2. As for staking a huge plant all I offer is good luck! I switched to stringing them because of this very reason. I lost so may tomatoes to falling plants. Your best bet may be topping it then growing each sucker out to the desired height.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #13
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Jimbo! Vader- I'm not getting good fruit set with this particular variety, but excellent fruit set with many others. I actually asked about this in another thread. I have flowers everywhere on this plant, not one dropped blossom, and only two set fruit. I am seeing some swelling in the lower ones, though. Rebel Yell is doing it too. I do like the idea of topping and allowing it to bush out underneath.
Jimbo is right, the stalks at the top of this plant are bigger than my thumb! I just wonder why this seedling took off like this from germination until today?
Old May 20, 2017   #14
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Vader- explain stringing- how did you do this. Thanks!

D.
Old May 20, 2017   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You need to buy some 2x4x8's and 2x4x16's some screws and build what looks like and old wood cable tool oil drilling derrick.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote