Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 13, 2017   #46
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Craig I wish that video had been available 40 years ago. So much useful information in a very short but concise video. Unlike most gardening videos the presentation was very clear and easy to understand even for a novice. Simple explanations and simple instructions on how you do what you do without going into the distracting details which can make a show like this hard to follow. Your method of growing could be very useful for gardeners with soil problems that are rather severe in areas of the South. Using your techniques could eliminate the need to learn to graft which for many is a step too far. Using those simple techniques you showed could also free so many to grow heirlooms instead of being tied to hybrids due to the soil problems that are endemic in so many locations.

I think you came across as someone who is absolutely in love with his tomato growing. I can certainly relate but unlike you I do not have the patience or perseverance to keep up with all the data. I think that is a remarkable feat and shows great dedication. Thanks for posting the video and I will be recommending your book and videos to some of the many gardeners that I converse with. What you do is far simpler than the lengthy and rather difficult methods that I use and I feel would be much more readily accepted by the average gardener or the beginning gardener just looking to have a good tasting tomato. You have shown a simple and effective way to do that without it becoming too much of an effort or expense. Of course we both know that with a little success the obsession for growing heirlooms may not be far behind; but no need to mention that.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #47
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

What a really lovely post, Bill - thanks so much for taking the time to share your very kind words with me. It is really deeply appreciated.
Old May 14, 2017   #48
peebee
Tomatovillian™

A must-see video for all tomato lovers/growers, experienced or newbies. I just loved it, quietly enjoying my midnight hour here. Thank you so much Craig! Inspiring.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #49
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I really enjoyed the video, Craig. Your passion for gardening shines through it. What a great mentor and inspirator you are!

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #50
psa
Tomatovillian™

Sadly, the video has been taken down, it appears, and I cannot watch it.
psa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #51
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

It plays for me - this link? http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/...epic-tomatoes/
Old May 14, 2017   #52
psa
Tomatovillian™

Following that link, I see:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 2.47.03 PM.png (134.5 KB, 53 views)
Old May 14, 2017   #53
psa
Tomatovillian™

Ok, switched browsers and it plays now. Not sure why it wouldn't play for me on Chrome. Thanks.
Old May 14, 2017   #54
psa
Tomatovillian™

That was a very enjoyable watch. And very familiar.
Old May 14, 2017   #55
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Great episode Craig. I watch GAGW regularly and I can honestly say this was one of the best episodes I've seen. It is so hard to find decent shows on gardening anymore so it was good to see them actually provide something with less fluff and more information that will actually help the general gardening community.. I posted a link on my FB page and I tell all my customers to sign up here and ready your/Carolyn's books. Still need to see you give a talk at some point. Are you doing anything around Asheville this year?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #56
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am glad that things are resolved - suspected it could be a browser issue (I had an email into Joe Lamp'l just in case).

BVV - not Asheville -but a big event in Charlotte in July - working out details now. Keep an eye on my events page on my website - I am working on 2018's sched.

Thanks for the kind words, folks!
Old May 14, 2017   #57
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Craig I wish that video had been available 40 years ago. So much useful information in a very short but concise video. Unlike most gardening videos the presentation was very clear and easy to understand even for a novice. Simple explanations and simple instructions on how you do what you do without going into the distracting details which can make a show like this hard to follow. Your method of growing could be very useful for gardeners with soil problems that are rather severe in areas of the South. Using your techniques could eliminate the need to learn to graft which for many is a step too far. Using those simple techniques you showed could also free so many to grow heirlooms instead of being tied to hybrids due to the soil problems that are endemic in so many locations.

I think you came across as someone who is absolutely in love with his tomato growing. I can certainly relate but unlike you I do not have the patience or perseverance to keep up with all the data. I think that is a remarkable feat and shows great dedication. Thanks for posting the video and I will be recommending your book and videos to some of the many gardeners that I converse with. What you do is far simpler than the lengthy and rather difficult methods that I use and I feel would be much more readily accepted by the average gardener or the beginning gardener just looking to have a good tasting tomato. You have shown a simple and effective way to do that without it becoming too much of an effort or expense. Of course we both know that with a little success the obsession for growing heirlooms may not be far behind; but no need to mention that.

Bill
+1
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #58
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Agreed, Bill more eloquently stated how I think most of us feel about your efforts and ideas.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017   #59
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Craig's favs (well, on Wednesdays at least):

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-farming-gardening/stories/stories-behind-your-6-favorite-heirloom-tomatoes
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #60
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I use the same mix ratio of 1:2 compost to potting mix. I feel invalidated now.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote