Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2017   #31
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Excellent work and very entertaining, and glad you did it on that show because it was always one of my favorite gardening shows
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #32
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

craig, what do you do when you have violent spring time storms? figure your weather pattern might be similar to mine, and it is a roll of the dice when fronts collide. I often lose several plants a year due to violent weather, but don't grow so many transplants that I cannot take in & out if need be.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #33
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

That was fantastic! I really enjoyed it.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #34
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

I learn more about growing tomato in that 30 minutes than I did all last year.
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #35
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much! I enjoyed the video. I always plant 35 seeds in 4 inches pot to share a lot of plants with friends. I also got to grow several dwarf kinds that you sent seeds. And learned you named Cherokee Purple! Thank you for the inspiration.
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #36
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

That was great! Thanks for sharing Craig. They really did a great job producing the episode. Enjoy planting time!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #37
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
So if I came across as goofy or weird or some other issue, I can trust you all to give me direct feedback, I hope! Believe me....it was very odd for me to watch (Sue was sitting next to me - Joe sent me the link late on Friday night, so before we walked the dog, Sue insisted we do the deed and sit and watch...I think I was squinting at the screen)!!!

Hi Craig,
My honest assessment is; you came across to me as a man who is joyfully passionate about “all things tomato” and anxious to talk about it. I sense this because when it comes to talking about “all things tomato”, I am the same way.

I hope the folks here at Tomatoville and all those reading this understand that this interview was “of you” and “not by you”. No person(s) and/or organization(s) should feel slighted because they were not mentioned in this interview. The things you talked about were limited by the questions you were asked and you likely didn’t have much say so in deciding what would make the final cut and what wouldn’t.

I would like to add that similarly to what PH (PureHarvest) said earlier in this thread, I would enjoy walking through the tomato patch with that guy in the interview (you Craig) taking about “all things tomato”.

Thank you for posting the video link!
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; May 2, 2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Grammar and format
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #38
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Dutch - thanks so much for your kind words. Also, a very perceptive comment with regard to what is in and what was left out. The 20 minute clip was made from three visits of 2 days each - we are talking hours and hours - and as one says, "you should see what is on the cutting room floor!".

It was eye opening in terms of how much work it is to produce video. If the fun of what I've been doing for decades came through at all, that makes me happy!
Old May 2, 2017   #39
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
If the fun of what I've been doing for decades came through at all, that makes me happy!

Then you should be ecstatic right now. Came through loud and clear.

And if you think they left a lot on the cutting room, it's nothing compared to what a typical Hollywood film tosses out. When they were filming "Captain Philips" a few years ago, Paramount Pictures spent several weeks and who knows how many hundreds of thousands of dollars filming scenes in the Metrowest and Worcester areas of MA. In the end, only about one minute of all that footage actually made it into the final release. If they got 20 minutes of footage out of six days of interviews with you, I'd say that's darn good in comparison!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #40
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Great Video Craig!! It was fun for me to see your operation at your home. Having a GH and Garden myself, I am simply amazed at what you are able to accomplish in the basement of your home, garage and in your driveway. Including how organized you must be to catalog and keep track of all the different varieties that you plant and monitor! Not to mention all that you do with the Dwarf Project! Congratulations for a very impressive video and success in growing tomatoes!!

Hudson

BTW - Thanks for your book "Epic Tomatoes" and the Cherokee Purple!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uBtXzL49SHSadL1MkPc1bQ_thumb_5bd.jpg (188.1 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by Hudson_WY; May 3, 2017 at 09:03 AM.
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #41
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

Helllo, just watched your video and thought it was great, very informative and well presented by yourself.
I've used those types of bags before to grow potatoes, for some reason didn't think they'd be big enough for toms but I'll give them a go. Also I was surprised by the high ratio of cow manure to compost that you use, I thought that would be too strong, I use cow manure but only in small amounts and will now increase it. Only thing to worry about is that the manure I use retains a lot of water and I might have to adjust for that.
Nice to see your Dwarf Project plants I've read about them and only the other day received my first seeds so I can grow them next year.
kevrow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #42
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

That was a really interesting video, and you were great, Craig!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #43
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Craig, I am sitting here watching your video on Public Television. I am recording it. Just thought you would enjoy knowing I am seeing it broadcast.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #44
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Thanks Steve - I was told that Growing a Greener World (like lots of PBS shows, I suspect) rolls out in different markets at different times with different episodes. My episode won't air in Raleigh for a year or so, it seems!

I appreciate all of the nice comments, folks.
Old May 13, 2017   #45
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Craig:

Loved it! First, you put to rest for those of us with "more trees/less sun" that 6 hours is enough! Second, I'm going to adopt your dense sowing and fast transplant methods. Finally, more of my tomatoes are going to start sneaking their way to my driveway! (Shush! Don't anyone mention it to the HOA.)

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote