Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 4, 2015   #31
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am going to grow Green Cipia.
That will be my only variety close to GWR types.
I grew Green Zebra once but did not like it.
Anybody here has grown Green Copia ?

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #32
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Tormato, LOL.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I am going to grow Green Cipia.
That will be my only variety close to GWR types.
I grew Green Zebra once but did not like it.
Anybody here has grown Green Copia ?

Gardeneer
Green Copia, AKA Green Vomit.
Vomitar Verde in Spanish.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #34
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I've read almost every topic in this forum and avoided GGWT as a fad. The name turned me off too and I'm reading this now only because its 4am and I was trying to get sleepy. So... I'm a huge fan of the citrus overtone Green Zebra. Am I missing out on a close cousin in flavor?

This is a pretty one for sure. Too much eye candy did me in last year. I got burned. I grew a row for looks that barely qualified for even the sauce pot. Sadly my love affair with a row of beautiful looking tomatoes is history. I want all tasty productive disease resistant workhorses. The ordinary gal with the best flavor is the one for me. Is this she?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #35
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Folks, if the name turns you off, or you think this is too attractive to taste good, then just don't grow it, right? We who have already, have posted about how good it tastes. Totally up to you, it's your garden.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #36
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I saw it and immediately thought of the Fred's Tie Dye I grew for the Dwarf Project.
Ginger is growing it now and said it is 6' tall and made no mention of it being a dwarf so I think it can't be FTD.

I hope Gardeneer grows it beside his green copia because it would be neat to see the comparison. That said so many tomatoes have similar characteristics these days that I would rather celebrate what this tomato is rather than what it isn't. What it is is a beautiful fruit with beautiful taste. I like the name because it will be easy to put on a tag as 'GGWT'. Nothing else has those initials so no mix-ups!

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #37
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Girl Girl, Dog Dog...hmmmm. I think this is an excellent time to say.... go out and adopt a dog or cat. One of the great benefits is that they come pre-named. In Calgary, my neighbour, who enjoyed his beer excessively, named his cat Meow Meow. Fortunately, the cat did not stay long, and probably returned to its original or new owner. We can only hope that Meow Meow wasn't renamed Cat Cat.

GGWT is on my 2016 grow list, so I will let you know how it likes the Mendoza heat.
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #38
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPete View Post
Ginger is growing it now and said it is 6' tall and made no mention of it being a dwarf so I think it can't be FTD.

I hope Gardeneer grows it beside his green copia because it would be neat to see the comparison. That said so many tomatoes have similar characteristics these days that I would rather celebrate what this tomato is rather than what it isn't. What it is is a beautiful fruit with beautiful taste. I like the name because it will be easy to put on a tag as 'GGWT'. Nothing else has those initials so no mix-ups!

Pete
Pete, you have a good head on your shoulders. No for sure it is not a dwarf, and last season I grew GGWT and also FTD, the fruits are rather different looking if seen together. Both were delicious, but different flavored. And it is not a green when ripe. Its a deep burgundy.
Old December 4, 2015   #39
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Green Copia, AKA Green Vomit.
Vomitar Verde in Spanish.

haha Thanks for your unbiased review.
But I bought the actual fruit @ farmers market and tasted it, then saved seeds from it.
Even if the taste was not up to pare, I would want to grow it for its look on the vine , in the basket and in the salad.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #40
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendozaMark View Post
Girl Girl, Dog Dog...hmmmm. I think this is an excellent time to say.... go out and adopt a dog or cat. One of the great benefits is that they come pre-named. In Calgary, my neighbour, who enjoyed his beer excessively, named his cat Meow Meow. Fortunately, the cat did not stay long, and probably returned to its original or new owner. We can only hope that Meow Meow wasn't renamed Cat Cat.

GGWT is on my 2016 grow list, so I will let you know how it likes the Mendoza heat.
Funny post, Mark, and I still love your avatar too.
Old December 4, 2015   #41
natural
Tomatovillian™

I obtained Green Copia from Andrey many, many years ago. I grew it and was extremely happy with it. It had great flavor. I continued to grow it for a few years and then stopped growing it (too many other to try ).
Last year, I grew a plant of Green Copia from seed that I had obtained in a swap. The tomato looked the same but the flavor was not there. This year, I plan to use my old seed and trial it again.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #42
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I got some seed last year from ginger, and tried to grow it out. But I had poor germination, and only a couple of plants made it to plantout. Unfortunately, I also had a vole problem, and GGWT was one that they took a liking to. They ate the two strong plants up, but I had one runt plant, which I put in for a replacement, hoping it would burst forth with vigor when planted out. Nope, it stayed a runt, topping out at about a foot tall, and produced one lonely, but appropriately sized and correct looking fruit, which I sacrificed to the seed saving process. I'm curious to see if the genetics come true, or if I'll just get runty plants like the parent.
Old December 4, 2015   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Dog Dog.
Were I used to live there was an excessive amount of drug dealing and crime right in front of my house.
It was also a prime spot to dump animals like dogs and cats.
The dogs would pack up as dogs will do.
There was an old long haired stray hound dog people called Mama dog that ran around.
She could never be caught by the dog catcher who who was my friend and lived there and we called him Snake because he was skinny.
We tamed her and had her fixed and she lived under my tomato plants in a warren of tunnels she dug out.
She was a big dog.
The tomato plants were in containers on wood pallets to help keep the fire ants out.
Dog Dog was another stray but he didn't run with the pack he stayed at out house with Mama dog under the tomato plants.
Another female stray started following me around everywhere I went and the guys named her bullet head because she had a pointy head.
She was wild also and wouldn't let you pet her but she hung around and follow you.
We caught her and tamed her and she lived for 18 years with us.

Then there was Chad the lived with an elderly lady down the street he was a big chow dog of some sort and mean he would chase people as they went by.
They took the lady out of the old house because they were afraid she would fall through the floor.
They just abandoned the dog and left him there.
Thad came to my house to live and he took up with us.
Dog Dog would come to see me everyday I came home from work and he always followed us around.
But I could never catch him to pet him.
All of these dogs got along great and they protected the place..
No one ever attempted to come on my property to steal or do anything wrong.
But yet friends could come over the dogs knew who the good folks were.
Then the mean rooster we called Chicken and Rice that was an abandoned. Easter chicken we tamed that ran with the dogs and cats and would come to meet me every day after work with the dogs and cats.
That is the story of Dog Dog Mama Dog Bullet Head Chicken and Rice and Chad.
Four mean stray dogs and a mean rooster that came into our lives and protected us and lived under our tomato plants.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #44
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
It looks like GREEN COPIA too
NLY N THE UTSIDE.

INTERNALLY, GREEN COPIA A.K.A.
GRUNE ERBRCHENEM
VERDE VMIT
VMI VERT
GREEN VMIT
etc...

has fairly large locules near the edge.

GGWT has smaller locules scattered throughout the interior. This trait I've found in my trials, usually means a very good tasting tomato. I'm sold Ginger. It gets a spot for 2016, in my garden. And, a few seeds will go to a local community garden (tomatoes handled by a Master Gardener who's looking for some flash) this year.

TRMAT
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #45
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

You guys MUST grow this- I got a few seeds from Marsha, and decided to try to grow one inside under a grow light this winter. It's going gangbusters! Here are two I just picked three days ago, the largest almost being a pound. They are simply delicious!! This thing is growing so well, I may just transplant in the yard come next March!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2053.JPG (133.2 KB, 452 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2155.JPG (111.4 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2156.JPG (98.4 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2157.JPG (110.7 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2158.JPG (125.9 KB, 448 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote