Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2013   #1
tedln

Default Tomato Sandwich!

I enjoyed an experience yesterday I look forward to each year. We had BLT sandwiches for dinner. I bought some maple cured bacon and saved it for this moment. We used Orange Minsk tomatoes I harvested yesterday. They were still warm from the garden. I sliced a sweet onion from the garden and used cold iceberg lettuce on the sandwich. It was great with tomato juice overflowing the edge of the toast.

My wife suggested we try a tomato and peanut butter sandwich today. We used Bear Creek tomatoes. I know the two main components don't sound compatible, but it was great also.

I have a friend who has fond memories growing up with onion and tomato sandwiches. I will try that within a couple of days.

What are your thoughts or memories of sandwiches utilizing fresh, home grown tomatoes as the star ingredient?

Ted
Old June 29, 2013   #2
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post

What are your thoughts or memories of sandwiches utilizing fresh, home grown tomatoes as the star ingredient?

Ted
Grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches my grandfather made for me at lunch time. Tomatoes from his garden of course.

Sometimes, if there had been some leftover pork from a previous supper, we'd have grilled pork and cheese with tomato sandwiches for lunch. I still call those Pepe're sandwiches.

Now I'm a Pepe're. My grandchildren will hopefully enjoy them too.

Last edited by marc_groleau; June 29, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2013   #3
Claudia
Tomatovillian™

I love egg, bacon, cheese and tomato sandwiches!! Tomato and bologna with lots of miracle whip are a favorite summer treat too!
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2013   #4
tedln

i don't know why, but the idea of cheese and tomato doesn't cause my mouth to water in anticipation. I suppose my mind is picturing a slice of pasteurized American cheese. Maybe some creamy Brie cheese would be good. Someone mentioned Bologna and tomato. I think my taste buds would go more for a good Salami and tomato combo. I like my sandwiches on a crusty artisan bread or a dark rye bread with mayonnaise or a grainy mustard. We have been using a bread new to us made by "Natures Own". It is called Honey Wheat and is only forty calories per slice and makes a very light weight slice of toast. It tastes very good but doesn't distract from the components of the sandwich like the tomatoes and onions. Anyone ever eat plain tomato sandwiches?

Claudia, how do you prepare your eggs for the sandwich you mentioned? Do you fry them? We recently started keeping chickens and we are beginning to get a lot of fresh eggs. I've already discovered the backyard eggs taste much better than the store bought eggs and could be great on a sandwich.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; June 29, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old June 29, 2013   #5
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I LOVE just tomato sandwiches. On either white bread such as shepherd's bread, sourdough or a light wheat. Not too much mustard so it doesn't overwhelm the tomato.
I use only French's brown mustard, Real Salt and freshly ground pepper.
Delicious !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2013   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

We don't eat red meat, but that didn't stop us. One of the first ripe was a plant that came from Carolyn's seed offer as an experimental. It was Indian Stripe X Possibly Daniels. Weighed about 20 oz, so one slice covered the entire bread. Used a very thick turkey bacon, and Alvarado Street sprouted whole wheat toasted, mayo, and dill pickle chips. Absolute heaven.
I totally saved the seeds from those 2 plants.
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2013   #7
tedln

I'm waiting for some really large Belgian Giant tomatoes to ripen on the vine. They should
provide some slices which overlap the toast on all four sides. I will give a tomato sandwich a try with some slices cut 1/2" thick.

Marsha, I've never eaten Turkey Bacon. Does it taste like bacon or fried turkey slices?

Ted

Last edited by tedln; June 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old June 29, 2013   #8
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

Love me a great BLT, but I do also like a Tomato, Avocado & mayo on good rustic sourdough, lightly toasted. Yumm! Can't wait!
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #9
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Love me a great BLT, but I do also like a Tomato, Avocado & mayo on good rustic sourdough, lightly toasted. Yumm! Can't wait!
I like the avocado so ripe I can spread it like mayonnaise thickly on the toast and leave the mayo off. I can't find good sour dough bread and I'm not much of a baker. I suppose I am spoiled by the sour dough that used to be sold around Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. You could smell it baking all over the area. The last time we were in San Fran, I couldn't find the old time sour dough bread. You don't need to taste sour dough to know if it is good. You can smell it baking for a mile if it is really good.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; June 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old June 30, 2013   #10
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

I'm so jealous! Congratulations on your first great sandwich of the year.

Where I grew up in PA, we used to make tomato sandwiches. Bread (or toast), butter, salt, and tomatoes. Simple but nice.
lycomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #11
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I'll eat tomatoes any way, on any kind of bread or toast, it's all good! I'm a reluctant cook, so I like to keep it quick and simple if I can.

A very light coating of mayo is good, but not necessary. Thick slice of tomato covering the bread, tiny bit of salt, generous pepper. Topped with slices of raw onion. Add some thinly sliced cucumbers, for variety once in a while.

Cheese on a plain tomato sandwich doesn't appeal to me either, but it's fine if you add the meat - but then the tomato becomes sort of a condiment for the meat and cheese instead of the star attraction.

Sometimes I'll quickly pan fry some sliced onions, green pepper and tomato slices in a bit of olive oil, and smear the results onto a crusty piece of toast rubbed with a cut clove of garlic. MMMM, heaven!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #12
thefluffybunny
Tomatovillian™

LOL, I am a tomato-sandwich-aholic.

Here is one that is good for everything but blacks...

Take a 1/2 cup of lowfat small curd cottage cheese, add about 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, mince 1/2 teaspoon sweet onion, add a clove or two (depending on your taste buds)of minced garlic, blend till smooth.

Take a frying pan and coat with a little olive oil, heat oil toss in a few radish greens and slightly wilt the radishes, turn off the heat and add a tiny bit of ground pepper and then drizzle a tiny bit of a good quality cider vinegar or balsamic on the radish green.

Slice one radish into slices.

Simply toast some bread (onion rolls are particularly good as are the oat skinny's now available and generously spread the cottage cheese mixture on one side so it is on there fairly thick, then add tomato slices - a sweeter tomato is a good idea here, top with the wilted radish greens and then the radish slices. Now eat : )

variation add in a little fresh basil and or caramelized onion
thefluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #13
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

What I really like about topics like these is they get all these ideas flowing around in my tomato brain. Hehehe!
There is a lot of work to be done now!

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I always just liked tomatoes mayo on white as a kid. Never needed the bacon, lettuce optional.

Now I usually put it on multigrain bread instead of white, but still like it that way.

Several tomato sandwiches I have tried though. One spicy sandwich is to split a pickled hot banana pepper and lay it flat with the tomato and mayo. A great hot sandwich is to make a grilled cheese sandwich with a tomato slice in between the cheeses, yummy. If you are going for a Dagwood with multiple ingredients, don't forget alfalfa sprouts.

My sister used to make a weird thing with peanut butter potato chips mayo tomatoes pickles or some strange weird thing like that. I never had the guts to try it myself, but she liked it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #15
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post

Marsha, I've never eaten Turkey Bacon. Does it taste like bacon or fried turkey slices?

Ted
It depends on the type. If you get the cheaper stuff such as Butterball brand, it has a bacon taste but its got a rubbery texture if pan fried, or it's crisp if microwaved, but gets a little spongy. If you buy the expensive type it isn't nearly as processed, and pan fried it gets a great crisp texture very similar to thick cut bacon. It definitely tastes close to bacon, and on a BLT it is perfect. Much less fat, you have to put a little spray or margarine in the pan, but no painful splatter. To answer your question they all have a bacon flavor.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote