Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 26, 2012   #1
ljp
Tomatovillian™

Default Frost Dates and Zone

I've noticed that people in zones 5 and 6 are reporting last frost dates similar to my last week of May. Is it fair to say that how cold it gets is only a very general indicator of frost dates. Also, in warmer zones are the last couple of frosts mild, just below freezing, or like mine 12-20F.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012   #2
janezee
Tomatovillian™

When I lived in New England, we didn't call 12-20F a frost! We had a lot of other words for it, often ending in 'ing,' modifying 'cold.'

As I recall, we even had snow in early May often enough that it wasn't earth shattering news, but still very unusual to have temps that low.

jane
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Too many people equate last frost with average last frost. My average last frost is April 28 but record last frost is mid-May sometime ... and records are made to be broken. I plant close to the "last' frost and hope this year is not a record year.
Old February 26, 2012   #4
NorthTom
Tomatovillian™

Is it fair to say that how cold it gets is only a very general indicator of frost dates.

'Zones' are based on the average 'lowest low' an area experiences in the winter, not the average first/last frost dates, so yes. Even though their winter might be just about as long as ours, it is not as cold on average.
NorthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2012   #5
WillysWoodPile

May 15th is our last frost date here in lower Michigan. But there has been a couple of years where I had to replace all that would not take a frost. One would be wise to plan ahead for this as you can always sell or give away extra plants.

Last edited by WillysWoodPile; February 28, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old February 28, 2012   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Our average last frost is Feb 15 and most people try to get tomatoes out around then because it's a race to beat the heat. However, last year and it looks like this year, frost is going to happen around March 1. We have frost possibility ( lows of 34 tonight and tomorrow) so I'm really glad I've waited.
You can easily get frost with temperatures in the high 30s, depending on humidity, dew point, wind, etc.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote