Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 24, 2017   #1
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Mosquitos! Please HELP!!!!!!!!!

Last week I spent my family and I spent most of our free time in the yard, garden beds, flower beds, and herb gardens. Gigi, my daughters, and I were attacked by mosquitos. The little blood suckers left the guys alone! There also seemed to be a no fly zone about 50 ft from the poultry pens. I always turn over anything I see holding standing water so the blood sucker ladies will have to find somewhere else to lay their eggs. 1.) Any suggestions on how to get rid of them without waging chemical warfare? 2.) Any suggestions on how to make all the beds a no fly zone? Thanks in advance!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Put up kerosene lanterns up wind of you.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

bats...
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #4
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Misquito bits and dunks, (amazon)
I sprinkle the bits around the yard. Dunk chunks in any necessary standing water.
(like a rain barrel)

Not sure around chickens...you should research that.

Avon skin-so-soft, but you'll smell like a 'hoe'.
I use a homemade organic nicer stink.
Lots of choices for clothing and skin...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #5
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I have the 1/2 acre one on the back patio away from where we sit. You don't want it near you because you want this to draw the mosquitos away from where you are. This thing works, I swear I get less and less issues with mosquitos in my yard. I am a mosquito magnet as well and I also make sure to empty all water holding things after a rain. Hubby has one in the garage and when he opens the garage the moths and mosquitos, everything comes in. They go right for the dynatrap in most cases, some take a while to find it. These things are great. I have yet to find any bees or good bugs in it. However, we did find a dried up anole lizard in ours. The fan stopped spinning and hubby opened it up to find it stuck inside. Now we make sure to check it at least once a week but it's been running 24/7 for about 8 months. You have to change the light bulbs in it every three months. QVC often has a great deal on them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dynatrap-...00XL/203151930

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; May 24, 2017 at 07:22 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #6
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I was going to suggest a flamethrower, but if you have plants and children that may not be advisable.

Otherwise, try to get stinky like a man.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #7
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

There are some repellents that work. Off! is not one of them. (The Deep Woods variety may be an exception to that.) I use heavy duty Cutters. But then, I naturally stink to them already. They only come after me when there are no alternatives.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I use Cutters spray too.

It is strange how biting bugs will leave others alone and will fly/jump miles just to bite you. For me, it's fleas and yet, they won't bother my wife at all.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The lanterns for at night and deep woods off for when I'm on the move.
West Nile virus is not to be laughed at.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #10
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I use Cutters spray too.

It is strange how biting bugs will leave others alone and will fly/jump miles just to bite you. For me, it's fleas and yet, they won't bother my wife at all.
You did say she was tomboy..
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #11
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Lol..@ dmforcier... no a flame thrower isn't advisable around children and the many hours we've put in to get as far as we have trying to be more self sustainable. Everyone else thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look into some of those. Skin so soft doesn't work. They still bite me. I used to use the Deep Woods off until I got some education about what it contains and it's long term effects on me and the surrounding environment.

Oakley I'd be interested in the homemade remedy if you're willing to share the recipe.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #12
Cheryl2017
Tomatovillian™

Lavender oil helps decrease the amount of bites I get but doesn't stop it all together.
Cheryl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #13
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I use Cutters spray too.

Possible you have a vitamin B deficiency, Salt? I am also a bug magnet; a flea will pick me over a dog nearby, if it had a choice. Many years ago I read that people like us "smell" different to these blood-sucking bugs and they like us for our low level of the B-complex vitamins. I used to take a supplement daily when I lived in Hawaii and I must say during that time I rarely got bitten. Nowadays I only need to take them during the summer months here, it's not humid where I live now so the mosquito problem isn't so bad. But fleas still find me if I'm not careful.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I use mosquito bits and dunks. It's just BT, a natural bacteria, gives the larvae an infection and they die. Harmless to other insects, pets, us. Not very expensive either, it works perfectly.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #15
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I think Bonide makes an all natural product from essentially oils . it is a granular product lasts up to 3 weeks. it says in the description. apply 4 oz per 1000sq ft it is called "Mosquito Beater" if you can't find it there the place I can buy it is called Belin Seed/product #4749. they will ship. I have not used it but I haven't found anything they sell to be bogus, either. their number is 877-464-0892. the cost is 12.50

Last edited by clkeiper; May 26, 2017 at 06:59 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote