Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 1, 2017   #16
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

I should have posted pics a while ago but I always forgot about it

So here we are today:

Groundcherries, this is only one variety, the second one was almost a no show, only two seedlings came up but they were so much later than the others that I didn't bother keeping them, these are all Goldie:

Some happy little Dwarfs:

A cherry tomato:

Eggplants:

A melon plant, I originally had two varieties, 3 of each, with one variety I had three healthy, well growing seeldlings, with the other one I had three poor looking seedlings that just got lanky but didn't really grow leafs, I decided that I can't be bothered and threw them out, three plants are enough...

My indet. tomatoes, the wispy ones look soooo poorly I know it's normal but I just hate wispy seeldings, they look so bad:

With my limited space, some plants are under lights, others have a nice south facing window. This march is really warm and sunny... With the weather now, they'd totally survive outdors. But sadly there can be frost till mid mayAnd the weather will certainly change now in April and get much colder...
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #17
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

I have way too many seedlings The problem is, people are happy to take seedlings for free - if I take care of them till plant out date
And as soon as I try to explain that I have to get rid of them because I don't have the space they kind of beg me to keep a few "just for me".

I'm tired of this, obviously I don't have the space nor am I willing to carry even more plants in and out for hardening off... I'm tempted to just throw the extra seedlings out

Except for one sweet neighbour who always takes in my very young extra seedlings and brings me tons of cake that I can't eat. I have somehow missed the appropriate point to tell her that and now it would be kind of weird *sorry, I don't do dairy so over the last years I always gave away your cake to other people* She wouldn't be to happy about that...
Old April 9, 2017   #18
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merediana View Post
I have way too many seedlings The problem is, people are happy to take seedlings for free - if I take care of them till plant out date
And as soon as I try to explain that I have to get rid of them because I don't have the space they kind of beg me to keep a few "just for me".

I'm tired of this, obviously I don't have the space nor am I willing to carry even more plants in and out for hardening off... I'm tempted to just throw the extra seedlings out

Except for one sweet neighbour who always takes in my very young extra seedlings and brings me tons of cake that I can't eat. I have somehow missed the appropriate point to tell her that and now it would be kind of weird *sorry, I don't do dairy so over the last years I always gave away your cake to other people* She wouldn't be to happy about that...

You could tell her your doctor has just told you you have to cut out dairy, and you won't be eating any dairy from now on ;-)
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #19
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

If I weren't such a bad liar I'd try it That's the problem with being to nice to say no to such gifts, once you accept them it gets harder and harder

I just started transplanting my plants, way to late, the bottom leafs already started to look a bit yellow but my dog is quite sick right now and taking care of her was more important. She is doing a bit better now, so no more excuses...

The plants even have their first buds
Old June 4, 2017   #20
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

I finally got some pics from my tomatoes... They are now in their containers since mid may and doing well. All plants have buds or flowers, Candy Sweet Icicle, Sungold and Black Cherry already have some green fruits.

Candy Sweet Icicle is the most surprising one, it brings out more flower trusses than any other tomato here, I already had this variety last year but could't remember that. This pic is about a week old, they are already much lager now.

This is Lucid Gem (left) and Primrose Gage, while Lucid Gem puts out quite a bunch of flowers and starts to set fruit, Primrose Gage grows tall but has very few flowers so far, very big distance in between trusses

This is Auria and my garden chaos, it's described as a wispy plant, yes it is kind of wispy, but not nearly as fine as other wispy varieties which is a plus. The amount of flowers is quite ok so far.

These are my groundcherries, groundcherries are not common at all here in Germany and I couldn't find much information how to germinate them, so I haven't been lucky at all. Poor germination, one packed did not germinate at all, the other one took me like 3 weeks for half of them popping up so I certainly did something wrong. Ended up with only 5 plants because I dropped the tray with the seedlings and got a bunch of broken stems But those are loaded with many many fruits!

This one is Black Cherry, not many trusses, but more flowers than usual on each truss:

Sungold on the other hand has lots of smaller trusses:

This poor plant is Afternoond Delight and another victim of me being clumsy I dropped it and did break the main stem, so I'm growing out 2 suckers. Obviously this did set the plant back, no flowers so far.

This is one of many dwarfs, at the moment I'm not to sure if it was a good decision to try out so many dwarfs in one season. They look cute and all, but seem to be a bit late?! Not many flowers yet and these are the only varieties that are dropping flowers like crazy right now But probably they are just a bit late because I did leave them bushy while all the others are pruned?

Beside that I'm trying Yacon this year, paid a fortune for a plant but since I planted it, it looks worse and worse Luckily all the other things I'm trying seem to love it here.
Old June 5, 2017   #21
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

By the way, why do people say that you can't transplant corn? I did start my sweet corn extremly crowded indoors, neglected it and transplanted it a bit late outdoors - it's doing amazing

This year I'm trying two of the very few non hybrid sweet corns that promise to be super sweet. Last year I had one old sweet corn variety and a hybrid, I much prefered the hybrids taste. I have an extra early variety and a late one, can't wait to try them
Old June 7, 2017   #22
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

I've just ordered my first seeds for 2018

Marizol Gold - I ordered this variety already for my first season but recived the wrong seeds, I don't know why I haven't tried it again since then...

Girl Girl's Weird Thing - yes, I've read the thread here and now I have to grow it

Candy Sweet Icicle - just in case that I miss saving seeds, I LOVE it

Sunrise Bumblebee - was on my list for this season but I forgot it

Legenda Tarasenko - never heard about this before, but the description sounded interesting

Yellow Dragon - didn't find much information about this one, but it looks so pretty

Beside that I wan't Aunt Ruby's German Green, Japanese Oxheart and Opalka. Plus others, but I'll will wait till the end of the season. I need some early ones and I want some Wildboarfarms varieties but can't decide which. Plus maybe a Brandywine? And cherries. And a bigger garden
Old June 14, 2017   #23
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

I just did a baby fruit shooting

Almost all plants do have some now, except for some Dwarfs (Uluru, Summertime Gold and maybe one more?) and Afternoon Delight - which I broke the main stem, so completly my fault

The clear winner is Candy Sweet Icicle, it's going crazy. Not a pretty plant, wispy and quite short, but SO MUCH fruit set.

The clear loser is Primrose Gage, with 3 stems and ONE fruit set (it has small fruits) It has super long distances in between each truss, it's a tall plant, but each sucker has 1 truss with buds, that's it. Maybe it just doesn't like my growing conditions, as I've heard it should be productive

Of the Dwarfs, Wherokowhai (picture) is the clear winner when it comes to fruit set Summertime Gold (no pic) however has lots of promising looking flowers.

I'm surprised that Lucid Gem has really good fruit set so far, many more trusses showing up... Never thought that Brad Gates varieties would do so well here in Germany.

Sungold looks ok:

Black Cherry has been growing fast lately:

Auria:

Old June 24, 2017   #24
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Sungold won the race and is the first ripe tomato in my garden. I'm not a huge fan of cherry tomatoes but this little fruit is amazing, can't wait for more to ripen

The weather was crazy hot and it obviously stressed my plants, but they are still looking fine and growing fruits. Can't wait for them to ripen. On the hottest day I instantly got some BER

Surprisingly, nothing on Candy Sweet Icicle so far, however my other elongated tomato, Auria, got some, I had to remove some fruits which is sad, as it doesn't seem to be productive in general. Lucid Gem had some too, but it's loaded with fruits.
Old June 28, 2017   #25
Gin3ll
Tomatovillian™

You do an impressive work with your little space, Congratulations and keep us up to date, I follow you with interest
Gin3ll is offline   Reply With Quote