Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old December 17, 2016   #1
katwest
Tomatovillian™

Default "Striped Barcelona plum" x Lg Barred Boar

I found a striped plum (pic of tomato in my hand) in Barcelona, Spain a few years ago in the Caterina Public Market and brought back seeds. I grew out a plant (the fruit looked similar) and crossed it with Large Barred Boar (striped beefsteak).

I grew out 5 seedlings, not being sure if the Barcelona plum was OP or not, and sure enough, the F1 seedlings were all different so it was a hybrid. All about 1/3 bigger than the striped plum, all striped, 3 round and 2 plum-shaped.

The best part - one of them was the best tomato I've ever tasted. #4 seedling (pic with long tress) was a great balance of acid-sweet and then a super sweet finish, almost as if the layer directly under the skin was sugar saturated. I usually don't like sweet tomatoes, but this was superb. #4 was also hyper productive and produced really long tresses. I'll be growing out this one for sure.

Also, I'm new to tomato breeding so feel free to correct my verbiage or assumptions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 F2 Barcelona X Lg Barred Boar #4.jpg (620.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Barcelona.jpg (324.0 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by katwest; December 17, 2016 at 05:32 PM.
katwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #2
katwest
Tomatovillian™

Here's another pic of seedling #4 to show size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 Barcelona X Lg Barred Boar #4.2.jpg (211.3 KB, 90 views)
Old December 17, 2016   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Very nice. I know nothing of breeding but I congratulate you on finding a great tomato
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #4
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Those are remarkable Katwest! Beautiful and best tasting what a double dip. Let us know when their available. And your living in the gorgeous PNW! Lol.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

That's a beauty
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Those are remarkable Katwest! Beautiful and best tasting what a double dip. Let us know when their available. And your living in the gorgeous PNW! Lol.
Plus she lives in a red Tardis lol.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2016   #7
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Nice catch Marsha. What are tomatoes like in the future Katwest?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2016   #8
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Default Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Marsha, I was so tired from lack of sleep when I saw your post I didn't get it! The phone booth duh! . And I've watched a ton of those shows.. Are your plants still "showing off" down there? Florida Gals Fan jimbo
Old December 18, 2016   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

This thread might help since there are several places where one can buy an open pollinated versions.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...+striped+heart

And how I loved Barcelona,learned to pronounce it barthelona, and watched the flamenco dancing and the bullfighting and ate excellent food including the outstanding pastries.

And that's where I took the funicular to the top of MT Tibidabo.

Good memories all.

Pattyb, mentioned above in the link, had sent me lots of cherry sized fruits and Black Striped Heart was one of them.So I got to taste them and note in the link that there are other places that also sell seeds for the OP versions.

Carolyn
Old December 18, 2016   #10
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
This thread might help since there are several places where one can buy an open pollinated versions.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...+striped+heart

And how I loved Barcelona,learned to pronounce it barthelona, and watched the flamenco dancing and the bullfighting and ate excellent food including the outstanding pastries.

And that's where I took the funicular to the top of MT Tibidabo.

Good memories all.

Pattyb, mentioned above in the link, had sent me lots of cherry sized fruits and Black Striped Heart was one of them.So I got to taste them and note in the link that there are other places that also sell seeds for the OP versions.

Carolyn
Funicular sounds like fun! What is it? I've heard from family members that Spain is wonderful.
Old December 18, 2016   #11
katwest
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link to the pics of Black Striped Heart, obviously not the same as the striped plum from Barcelona (I adore this city too) but they certainly look similar!!!

I forgot to add that the "Striped Barcelona plum" has very dark flesh that must be dominant because all 5 seedlings were dark fleshed, but it didn't pass down the tougher skin it has so I guess that's not dominant.

As to the future of tomatoes, who knows??? But it is super exciting. I'm tinkering with striped tomatoes because I got hooked by the superior taste and disease resistance of Large Barred Boar and Berkeley Tie-Dye Heart from Brad Gates in my climate (oregon), and because they create a wow in my network. But I can tell you that on my small farm I won't be tinkering with the anthocynanin gene anymore. I'm too small an operation to get rid of the antho taste effectively while maintaining the color/health benefits. I'll leave that to the bigger operations.

Here's another pic of seedling #4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 Barcelona x Lg Barred Boar #4.1.jpg (355.6 KB, 68 views)
Old December 22, 2016   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Funicular sounds like fun! What is it? I've heard from family members that Spain is wonderful.
I fetched the links,but forgot to come back and post them for you.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...k1.7Gbb0xbei5A

https://www.google.com/search?q=funi..._AUIBygA&dpr=1

You take a bus from Barcelona,they run several times each day,they take you to the place where the gondolas are loaded, and up and up you go ever so slowly,

Get out of the gondolas,they each carry many folks, take a look around at the scenery,and then take an empty gondola back,and reverse trip.

The day I did it it was very cold up there and I was glad to get back into a warm gondola to go back down.

Carolyn