Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 24, 2012   #16
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
The excel sheets are almost a necessity.

I would say as your variety of tomatoes and peppers grow that a single Excel sheet with every vegetable may become unmanageable.

What people have found is that you really want all of this on a tomato-specific Excel sheet or tab:
  • Variety Name
  • Color
  • PL or RL
  • Fruit Shape/Type
  • Year Seeds were Saved
  • Last Year Grown
  • Source (TGS, SSE, or someone's name)

Might sound like overkill but you never know when you'll want to refer back to who sent you seeds (in case of a cross), or whether seeds are particularly old.

I do NOT actually have a sheet like this myself as I had not quite reached the point that I needed it, but I was getting very close. When I would get seeds from someone, I did write the year and name of the person who sent them on the back.
Thanks for the heads up on making separate templates'
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #17
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
I make mine in excel. I've been trying to prove whether this whole hobby save me money or not. Excel is nice because you can re-create it very quickly every year and customize it exactly to what you want.
Did you make the template? It sure does look good in layout of information.
Old February 24, 2012   #18
John3
Tomatovillian™

This is called Planting seeds by colors
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...i:TC030004952|
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bg.jpg (178.5 KB, 106 views)
Old February 24, 2012   #19
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

I am currently using this program which is not complete yet. When finished it will have drop downs and print and export and list making properties.I call it SeedTracker. Sorry for the poor quality example but you can kind of get the idea of what I am working toward.I have been using and refining this program for two years now and hope to have it completed soon. Any additional data or capabilities that need to be added please let me know. Right now it is a work in progress.

thanks
ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rons camera pics.jpg (187.8 KB, 32 views)
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #20
John3
Tomatovillian™

Garden photo album - this one is a Word template. I opened it in the free openoffice Writer program.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/results.aspx?ck=1&ex=2&qu=gardening&av=all#ai:TC01 0266841|
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bg.jpg (102.2 KB, 105 views)
Old February 24, 2012   #21
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipchip2000 View Post
I am currently using this program which is not complete yet. When finished it will have drop downs and print and export and list making properties.I call it SeedTracker. Sorry for the poor quality example but you can kind of get the idea of what I am working toward.I have been using and refining this program for two years now and hope to have it completed soon. Any additional data or capabilities that need to be added please let me know. Right now it is a work in progress.

thanks
ron
It's looking good as far as I can tell. After looking at it I thought it would also make a DVD Movie Tracker by the way you laid out the input template.
Old February 24, 2012   #22
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

John

I havent thought about that. My goal is to include everything a hobbyist tomato grower might want as far as information all in one place and room for your own comments.I currently have only 183 entries but it will hold over three thousand and will alphabetize by everything,planting list,trading list and germination list. Should be very useful once completed. I guess it could track almost anything but I am passionate about my tomatoes and peppers.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #23
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
Did you make the template? It sure does look good in layout of information.
It's not a template, just an excel file I slapped together but yes I put it together. I just started naming columns for things I wanted to track or could never remember, added a few formula's and some conditional formatting for fun and poof, a file I look at all the time. I like having all the information I want on one screen. I hate searching around for stuff.

I do a new one each year with a quick C&P!

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #24
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipchip2000 View Post

thanks
ron
Oh that looks nice ron, well done!

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012   #25
John3
Tomatovillian™

If you have Microsoft OneNote here is a nice Gardening journal.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...i:TC001119625|
Old February 26, 2012   #26
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I've collected so many seeds this year through purchase or trade so I just have an excel spreadsheet, sorted alphabetically. My colums are these:

Name (its all tomatoes so I list the variety)
RL/PL
Color
Source/year
Description (I relied on this section a lot to do my planning this year of what I will grow and what not...yet, I paste in growing detail, flavor, color, any idiosyncrasies pertinenet to that variety)
Old February 27, 2012   #27
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
I've collected so many seeds this year through purchase or trade so I just have an excel spreadsheet, sorted alphabetically. My colums are these:

Name (its all tomatoes so I list the variety)
RL/PL
Color
Source/year
Description (I relied on this section a lot to do my planning this year of what I will grow and what not...yet, I paste in growing detail, flavor, color, any idiosyncrasies pertinenet to that variety)
That sounds simple enough the way you described it and at the same time puts fourth a lot of information. If you have a blank template of it and can zip it up you could upload here. Some Tomatovillians might would want to use it.
Old February 28, 2012   #28
no charge
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...highlight=seed

Here is a program that ContainerTed put together back in 2009, has worked gr8 for me since.

John
no charge is offline   Reply With Quote