Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 18, 2012   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default Garden planning and selection

I have my 2012 garden already planned and have selected (and bought seed for) all the varieties of various veggies I plan to grow. I would be interested in any comments on a few new (to me) tom varieties I got from Skyfire because they were listed as doing well in her garden and/or tolerent of drought/heat: Rio Grande, Adelia, Porter. I've read about Rio Grande and Porter before but have never heard of Adelia. Also new to me from different sources are Nebraska Wedding, Sioux, and Mortgage Lifter. Any comments are appreciated.

I'm also going back to some of my old favorites: Eva Purple Ball, Cherokee Purple, Kellogg's Breakfast, Pruden's Purple, Stump of the World, Lucky Cross, Aunt Ruby's Green, Cuostralee, Earl's Faux, New Big Dwarf, Gregori's Altai, and Carbon. I found that I had a few seeds left of Ernesto and Rinaldo, acquired from a nice fellow here, but I don't remember his name. They were both very nice toms and if I can grow them out plan to can them. The same is true about Portuguese Monster #1 and #2, also acquired from someone here. For cherries, I'm doing Sun Sugar, Sweet Million, Dr. Carolyn and Black Pearl. As I stated in a previous post, it is a pain to germinate Black Cherry as they take too long for me. I figured Black Pearl was worth a try and if it is a spitter and will go back to cussing Black Cherry next year. Variegated was a novelty the year I grew it but I did like the abundant/tasty toms so I'm throwing that in too.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #2
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Ahhhh, it's so lovely to read about all those hot-weather, long-season tomatoes, all in one garden, and remember back to a time I was in Kansas in August, and we stopped to take a swim in a local pool, and when we came back to the car, the tires had sunk a full inch into the pavement in the heat.
I didn't know until recently that this is even too hot for tomatoes. Must be nice to be able to grow all those classic heirlooms, though.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #3
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Janezee, you sure are right about the heat! My garden suffers quite a bit of neglect when it gets like that as I cannot stand that much heat. Even though I just made that list a day or so ago, I was looking at Remy's site and ordered yet more. A few favorites and some new ones that I liked the sound of. So, I suppose I'll be getting back to the obscene amount of tomatoes that I used to have I had quit with that, looking for some miracle cure for heat, drought and neglect but I was happier having all my interesting varieties. So here's to hoping that a few will take for me and give me enough to enjoy through the summer and have a bunch to can or dry.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote