Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 5, 2007   #1
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

Default Blue Beech Paste

Has anyone grown this? I could not resist buying two seedlings of this variety from our local tomato growers but cannot find much about it from the internet. I have a general idea of the history, but wondering at this point more about how it tastes and it's growth habit. Is the ideterminate plant huge? Heavy fruit set, sparse fruit set? Eventually I will figure it out, but I thought I would ask if anyone had good or bad experiences with it.

Thanks,
Tiffanie
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2007   #2
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

I've never grown it but you should be able to find more info about it from Fedco's catalog, I think they are one of the few places that carried seed for it.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2007   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffanie, I didn't answer your post b'c I haven't grown it myself, but several years ago the half sister of Steve, whose garden I was growing a few plants in did grow it and I did see it and did taste it b'c with a name like that I was curious.

My memory is no longer perfect, ahem, but I can't remember being wowed by it and I nevere talked to Bridget about it so don't know what she thought of it. And yes, it was indeterminate and caged. And as Mark has said, it's sold only by Fedco, last time I knew as well.

I looked in a couple of SSE Yearbooks and at least the ones I looked in there were no listings for it.

So maybe you might download the Fedco catalog and take a look at their description of it although I guess you already do know something about it since you said you know the history.
Old April 10, 2007   #4
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys. I was wondering if anyone would respond . I wasn't sure where my local farmers bought the seed, so the Fedco link sure helps. I thought maybe I was dealing with a variety with alternate names and I had the name less used. So it looks like I just have either an unpopular paste, or just a paste that tastes good (for a paste) that is underrepresented. I guess I will find out soon enough. Thanks again for responding

Tiffanie
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote