Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 17, 2014   #31
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

So far my mosquito netting is working great controlling both bugs but the plants are getting cramped and will only get more cramped so I might have to try the 7 dust. Thanks for the tip.

I have noticed more bees in the clover too. Very glad to see them and I sure would not mind letting them helping me with pollinating chores.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #32
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Actually I am thinking we could try an experiment with this. I was just thinking that maybe " wilt proof " or "vapor guard" sprayed on the stem might be tough enough to keep the larvae from penetrating the stem. Any thoughts? I keep thinking what could I put on the stem to keep the SVB from coming in contact and everything is mechanical...paper, foil etc. any you have to keep getting all scratched up and reapplying the product, but a spray on "plastic" type barrier might be worth a try.
Old June 24, 2014   #33
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I had a similar idea few years ago. I tried that spray on black pruning sealer (the worst stuff you can use on trees, as an aside) at the base and up a few inches...killed the vine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Actually I am thinking we could try an experiment with this. I was just thinking that maybe " wilt proof " or "vapor guard" sprayed on the stem might be tough enough to keep the larvae from penetrating the stem. Any thoughts? I keep thinking what could I put on the stem to keep the SVB from coming in contact and everything is mechanical...paper, foil etc. any you have to keep getting all scratched up and reapplying the product, but a spray on "plastic" type barrier might be worth a try.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #34
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

No, not the pruning stuff. This is specifically for herbacious plants. It is used to keep the leaves from respirating too much moisture out when in transit, at transplanting time etc. and not being able to have enough water in the soil or enough roots to replace the lost supply. I sprayed it on all my tomatoes this year before transplanting and I plant in black plastic mulch. They never wilted down while developing enough new roots to compensate for the new climate.
Old June 24, 2014   #35
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

I don't think so. From the description of the polymer involved, it's way too unsubstantial to deter a chewing insect. Can't hurt to try though.

I know it's anecdotal, but I haven't had a problem with borers since I started dousing the area with cayenne pepper. I buy the giant plastic boxes of pepper from Asian or Hispanic grocery stores and cover the base of the plant with it.
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #36
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I still have the mosquito netting on my summer squash and this seems to be the best season I have had since growing them. The net has been lifted off the ground but it still seems to deter the bugs.

Even with hand pollinating and am getting more squash than ever.
Old July 7, 2014   #37
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Hmm... maybe I'll try cayenne mixed into a small amount of petroleum jelly, rubbed onto aluminum foil, instead of just plain aluminum foil.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #38
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering about a cayenne spray or something like that. My plants have way to much growth, leaves, and flowers to ever think about wrapping them up.
Old July 7, 2014   #39
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

We planted really early. Like maybe the beginning of April. We kept them covered with floating row cover until the leaves were pushing the cover up, hoping that the stems would be too hard for the DVB to get through by the time they arrive for the Summer. The pollination this year has been really poor until this week. I just came in from picking ( I have 3 rows of 18ish or so of plants) and I picked 2 totes full ( approx. 50 8"-10") and for a change they are beautiful. I almost am leery of commenting, but I see no SVB at this point. There are a few squash bugs, though.

Last edited by clkeiper; July 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014   #40
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Just saw some of those jerks flying around my vines, caught one of them laying eggs so promptly removed them...looks like I'll have to do a survey of other plants to try to see if there are any others.

Pollination has been horrible to date, I have not seen a single insect on a single flower anywhere in my garden, not on squash, zucchini, peppers, cukes, eggplants, tomatoes, or ornamental flowers...and since I have been acting as the bee this year and hand-pollinating I have plenty of close contact to keep my eyes open for squash borer moths or tiny eggs.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014   #41
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Toronto View Post
Just saw some of those jerks flying around my vines, caught one of them laying eggs so promptly removed them...looks like I'll have to do a survey of other plants to try to see if there are any others.

Pollination has been horrible to date, I have not seen a single insect on a single flower anywhere in my garden, not on squash, zucchini, peppers, cukes, eggplants, tomatoes, or ornamental flowers...and since I have been acting as the bee this year and hand-pollinating I have plenty of close contact to keep my eyes open for squash borer moths or tiny eggs.

This is an excellent reason to set up a hive near your garden. Even if you have no desire to work with the bees, there are people who do and would do it for the exchange of at least part of the honey.

I noticed the lack of pollination weeks and weeks ago. I was getting distressed over it, too. Now it finally seems to have turned about a bit and I am seeing many bees in the melons which are right next to the zukes this year.
Old July 8, 2014   #42
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

I haven't seen a single honey bee or bumblebee this year, just a few carpenter bees and a variety of wasps that I believe are all carniverous and aren't doing much aside from looking at flowers to see if any meals are in there. My garden isn't too huge so I can generally sub in for the bees if necessary, at least to some extent...squash and zucchini are easy to do, cukes are a bit of a pain though. I don't think anything else I'm growing needs pollination.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2014   #43
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I grow Sweet Success and Diva cukes which don't need pollinating. They are a life saver and great slicers.
Old July 14, 2014   #44
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I do what I always do - keep a razor blade handy, and slice them out when I see the frasse.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2014   #45
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I've never had problems with SVB but squash bugs kill my plants every year. This year, I am trying Tromboncino to see if there is less of a problem. A friend told me last year that he has great success fighting SB using diatomaceous earth and a duster. I did quit a bit of reading over last Winter and found somebody that was dissolving the DE (1T per quart of water) in a spray bottle. Spraying the plants leaves an even white coating. It has to be shaken frequently and re-applied after rains, but I have only seen a few SB so far. Time will tell. It's been annoying this week with record high temperatures and afternoon thunderstorms rolling through each afternoon. Spray, repeat. Sigh.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote