Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 15, 2014   #1
jeffma
Tomatovillian™

Default Trellis Orientation and Spacing

I have a 4 x 8 bed (the longer length is oriented N-S) that I am designating for cucumbers. Should I orient my trellis east-west or north-south to maximize sun exposure for all plants? I am leaning towards N-S so the trellis will be about 8 feet and directly facing the sun, then stagger plantings staring in the rear (west) of the beds and moving forward to the east so as not to block the sun . i hope that is not too confusing.

How far apart should I plant the cucumbers?
jeffma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014   #2
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

My rows run North and South. Planted staggered rows 2' apart on both sides of the trellis. 10" between hills with 2 seeds planted per hill. Thin to strongest plant and leave 2 in the next hill if you have a skip. Prune all suckers so you just have one stem. Tomato clips were only used to train the vines to the trellis. I don't use any fertilizer. You really do have to pick them every day.
Photos are from last year. Claud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden 7-26-2013 031.jpg (252.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 7-26-2013 033.jpg (166.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Garden 7-26-2013 034.jpg (246.1 KB, 69 views)
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote