Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 9, 2014   #1
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Default Pruning to optimize, or just save space...

Not trying to grow a 1,000 pound pumpkin, but when I see my squash vines spreading and sprawling and dividing, and I try to train or direct them in a way to most efficiently use my garden square footags and allow as much photosynthesis as possible, I want to learn what is the best way to prune, and what the effects of pruning are.

So, if I did want to grow one huge fruit, how can I tell which portion of the vines are feeding that fruit, versus feeding other fruits or potentially sapping energy from the feeding of existing fruits (if that is even a possibility). I want to encourage the best growth possible of good, full, tasty fruits that will have a chance to mature before end of season, but given square footage limitations I would happily remove any vines or suckers or growth that is ultimately extraneous to development of selected fruits, and can be removed without impacting development of those fruits. I do like to train my squash vines in between other plants to take best advantage of space and use as ground cover, but at least once the growth got completely out of control and was into the lawn, over the patio, up and over other plants, etc. I'm fine with that happening as long as that foliage is doing something beneficial, but if is it not then I'd rather remove it.

I realize there may not be a definitive answer on this. Maybe I should find some discussion of growing giant pumpkins and extrapolate? I guess I'd like to (a) with one variety, grow one or two large specimens, (b) with other varieties, grow fewer and possibly larger fruits, or fewer and the same size fruits that have maximum nutrients flowing to them, and (c) as mentioned get rid of any extraneous foliage or fruit growth for that matter.

Thanks for any thoughts...
Anthony
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote