Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old October 14, 2016   #1
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

Default johns purple polish pole bean

i got these from tom galucci who hasn't been on here in a long time.

the purple is the color of the seed. a medium purple with a splash of white on the back of it. the bean is a flat pod yellow bean about six inches long. has anyone else grown it?
i know annette in B.C. has seeds that i sent her. all i know about the bean is tom got it from a neighbor of his named john who i assume is polish. i haven't seen anything quite like it. i grew it out a few years ago, before growing it again this year.
i will have seed available once everything is dried, and shelled.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2016   #2
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

Hi Keith,

So far I've only grown them once from the seed you sent me, I only grew for seed so didn't get a taste, the one pole (4 seeds) grew well and produced a good amount of beans and I got a fair amount of seed. Next time we get to eat some.

The seed you sent is as you describe

the seed I harvested was a little different in color but same seed coat pattern, growing conditions?

I took another picture,(not very good) with a flash which brought out the purple shade.

I've accumulated so many beans I haven't grown yet and time is marching on but hope to grow these again in the not too distant future and actually get to eat some .
Annette

I thought I had inserted pics but they didn't show up.

Last edited by aftermidnight; October 16, 2016 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Pictures didnt show up
aftermidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2016   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Sounds interesting - PM sent!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2016   #4
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

The description matches two other beans that I know of; "Lilaschecke" and "Olteanu's Romanian Yellow". The latter of the two was sent to me misidentified as a runner bean (probably due to the deep purple seed color), but when grown, turned out to be P. vulgaris. Fairly short, flat yellow pods, with unimpressive flavor.

I received seed for "Lilaschecke", and it is visually identical to "Olteanu's Romanian Yellow"... but I have not yet grown it for direct comparison.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote