Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 20, 2011   #61
dice
Tomatovillian™

I always stuff the landscape fabric down inside the wicking
chamber in my SWCs, whether I have a net pot there or a
piece of abs or pvc pipe under the wicking hole with holes
drilled in it (I have both kinds, with net pots and without).
Seems to work.

Last edited by dice; March 20, 2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: clarity
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #62
BSue54
Tomatovillian™

I finally got a picture of my BobbiTainer - but not really a good one of the wicking basket I used for most. I took 1 quart Dannon Lite N Fit yogurt containers, cut about 1" off the top, and drilled a bunch of holes in them...ziptied into place, just like the net pots. They may not be as durable as the netpots but I had a bunch of them, and the price was right
Old March 20, 2011   #63
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Looking good!!

When you install the Landscape Fabric, run it up the sidewalls about 4 inches. That will both prevent the Grow Media from going down the sides and into the water reservoir; as well as prevent the roots from getting into the water reservoir.

Also, when posting your photos, if you save them first as a 600 by 800 photo, they better fit the screen here on Tomatoville.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #64
BSue54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Looking good!!

When you install the Landscape Fabric, run it up the sidewalls about 4 inches. That will both prevent the Grow Media from going down the sides and into the water reservoir; as well as prevent the roots from getting into the water reservoir.

Also, when posting your photos, if you save them first as a 600 by 800 photo, they better fit the screen here on Tomatoville.

Raybo
I thought that one was 500x whatever... and freaked when it showed up so huge. Speaking of posting photos, do you upload them to this site or do they have to be online somewhere? That may have been the problem. I put them on my blog so I'd have someplace to link to - and it's been so long since I blogged, I forgot how that size thing works there.

I cut my fabric 26" like your directions said, then cut the 36" width in half, so they are 18" wide... I dunno how many inches they go up the walls, but seems to be working OK, at least on the filling part. Speaking of which, I still have several to fill, so better end my coffee break and get back to it!
Old March 20, 2011   #65
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Bobbie,

I use two (free) programs. I edit / crop / straighten photos with Picasa. Then click on the "Export" tab and resize the picture to 800 pixels.

Next, I use Photobucket to upload the photo from the Export file I've saved on my Desktop, to my Library. Then, for Tomatoville postings, copy the "IMG" file option and paste it into your Post. It's that simple.

Raybo
Old March 20, 2011   #66
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

For the wicking basket, you can also use 4" drain pipe with tulle fabric on the bottom held on with a zip tie to prevent the soil mix from going into the water chamber.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #67
BSue54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokutaaguriin View Post
For the wicking basket, you can also use 4" drain pipe with tulle fabric on the bottom held on with a zip tie to prevent the soil mix from going into the water chamber.
Jeff
Oh yes - you can... well, I used landscape fabric stuffed in the drain pipe on 2 because I hadn't finished enough yogurt to have 10 of those...
Old March 20, 2011   #68
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

I am wondering how many pepper plants are put in the Earthtainer. I am looking at sweet bells and then hot peppers like jalapeno type and size. Thanks
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #69
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
I am wondering how many pepper plants are put in the Earthtainer. I am looking at sweet bells and then hot peppers like jalapeno type and size. Thanks
Kat,

Last year, I planted 6 Pepper plants per 31 gallon EarthTainer. That turned out to be too many:

This Season, I am cutting back to 4 Pepper plants per 'Tainer as my thinking is that the Peppers will be larger.

Raybo
Old March 21, 2011   #70
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

I am trying the Earthtainer for the first time this year and am having trouble finding the 31 gallon rugged totes. I have tried all of the Lowes in my area and by my work and everyone is out. I'm excited to get started and disapointed that I haven't been able to find them. I have everything else. Any suggestions anyone?
kpatrick925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #71
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

The Lowes in Fremont show 17 in stock. This is what you are looking for:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_314141-61896...&storeId=10151

Click on the "Check other stores" tab for stores closer to you.

Raybo
Old March 21, 2011   #72
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

Don't get hung up on one brand. The size requirements are approximate. I don't think it's going to make a great difference if the container is 30 or 32 or even 35 gallons instead of 31. The beauty of Ray's system is that it can be adapted to many different sizes. There is plenty of fudge room. If you've ever seen the commercially available Earthbox, you know it's a heckuva lot smaller than the Earthtainer. It works fine and will support 4 pepper plants easily. I've done as many as 6 with respectable results. For your Earthtainer just make sure you get a good quality container and try to make it a light color, especially in the Sunbelt. Even then, poor quality containers will work, they just won't last as long. Dark colored containers can be covered with a light colored shield of some type, even an old bed sheet. They just won't look as cool.
duckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #73
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I think it was Geeboss who came up with the idea of wrapping an old cut-down bamboo curtain around his EarthTainers to shield them from the Sun. You can also take 2 ft. wide redwood lattice panels and make a 3-sided hinged panel to surround the 3 sides most exposed to the Sun.

The dual-wall EarthTainer III design will minimize heating of the Grow Media much better than the prior design, so having to use a darker color container now will not be as much of a problem as it was with the old design.

Some "visual" ideas done by others:

Raybo
Old March 21, 2011   #74
BSue54
Tomatovillian™

When I got my totes, I was more concerned with size than brand, and the Lowes my DH chose, had one 31 gallon Rugged Tote and it was navy blue. I decided that I wanted them to all be alike, and chose the "eco-friendly" ecotote - 90% recycled plastic, and they'll probably get recycled again, when they fall apart - as long as they make it through this season, I'll be happy, and will be ecstatic if they live through more seasons. And they're a decorative sky blue LOL

Just got through planting 12 of my babies. Decided to put a brandywine with the black krim, because it simplified my note taking - they are obviously NOT the same mater, and both started with a B LOLOLOL

Ray, I finally noticed that you said to top-water the tainers for the first 4 weeks or so. How heavily? I suppose that it doesn't matter too much, since the excess will drain out???

Thanx for inspiring me, gang.
Old March 21, 2011   #75
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Bobbie,

Top water sparingly when the Grow Media shows evidence of drying out. About a pint every few days ought to do it, until the plant's root system takes hold. The moisture barrier will help contain much of the water to begin with.

Of course, if you are in a rainy area, this step will usually not be necessary.

Raybo