Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 16, 2011   #1
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default slow pepper seedlings

My Thai Bird, and Pepperdew seedlings are growing so slow its unbelievable under lights, so I open a bag of Coast On Maine lobster, crab compost put a little on top yesterday. Great for them only 1-2 inch high.

FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2011   #2
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

My Peppers are growing slowly as well. The only exception is the Uyababa peppers which grew at a faster pace and are ready to be set out. Looks like I won't have any peppadews this summer unless my luck changes soon.

Tim
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2011   #3
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Hot peppers need a lot of heat for good growth. Some diluted Miracle Grow fertilizer is also helpful.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2011   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Filmnet, I just picked up a couple bags of Coast On Maine Lobster Compost. I was surprised to see it being sold in our area, even more surprised that our local Wegmans grocery store is selling it. I've read nothing but great things about it, so I had to have it. What's your experience in using it?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2011   #5
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Nice news, open the bag unbelievable looking!!!!This is my first year using it, we live by the coast here have last spring by the cold wind from the ocean. So last week i put some inside in plants in Pot, some from last garden herbs. I hope the help them , as nasty winter. I will just put a cup in the hole with Neptune fish water in each hole when i plant in 6-8 weeks, all herbs and plants. Today is 8 weeks from May 12 so i will now get seeds growing inside now, I look at the garden l still have have black plastic on the ground, i looked under, WOW!!! worms all on the top they like the hot ground. I put new leaf compost, lime, on top and some new$ dirt on top last Nov and covered with black plastic, it will cook for the next few weeks, i am not going to dig down a lot again this year. Feed the ground holes again with Neptune
Fish fertilized and Coast of Maine compost, lime and plant them in. Mixed some in new pots also this year for Herbs I grow them in pots beside Tomato plants, do not move them all year, they grow through the pots in the dirt perfect. The 40 lbs bags were $8.99 here, how much were yours?
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2011   #6
les matzek
Tomatovillian™

my pepper seedlings are growing very slow also
but in the last 5 or 6 yeare of growing peppers
here i have found out that untill the nights stay
above 55 degrees and the days are at least 75
degrees when the temps are at the above temps
they will really take off, regards.

les
les matzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2011   #7
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

The bell peppers I started are doing nicely, but it took almost a month for my Tabasco peppers to germinate. I was getting worried about them.
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2011   #8
RayR
Tomatovillian™

1 cu ft. bag is $9.99 here. I opened a bag yesterday and you’re right—unbelievable stuff! Best looking bagged finished compost I’ve ever seen. I added some to my pots for container peas first. I’ll sprinkle some of that compost in top of my onion and leek seedlings too today. I started pre-sprouting pea seeds indoors Wednesday night, checked them this morning and many have germinated right on schedule, less than 4 days. Probably start planting them in the containers tomorrow.
Started peppers and eggplant Thursday, got them cooking on the heat mat. Started some broccoli, cauliflower, kale, radicchio, endives and some others yesterday. Next is tomatoes and lettuce.
The worms are everywhere under everything, Looked under the piles of shredded leaves laying on the beds and under the containers, the buggers are active and hungry.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote