Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 1, 2010   #16
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I'm finally ready to attempt to grow these HOT peppers. I've read that they take over 30 days to germinate with a heat source and am prepared for that. The question I have is this - I just read that the seeds should be soaked in a solution of bleach (2 bleach to 4 water) and want to know if this is necessary.

Would it be best to pre-sprout them, or would it be OK just to plant in peat pellets or potting soil and then use a warm heat source?

I've never used the bleach method - is there a reason for this?
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2010   #17
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

What I love about Bhut Jolokia is that I can use a small amount to heat something up & it won't overwhelm with some extra-fruity chinense flavor that I personally don't care for.
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2010   #18
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
I'm finally ready to attempt to grow these HOT peppers. I've read that they take over 30 days to germinate with a heat source and am prepared for that. The question I have is this - I just read that the seeds should be soaked in a solution of bleach (2 bleach to 4 water) and want to know if this is necessary.

Would it be best to pre-sprout them, or would it be OK just to plant in peat pellets or potting soil and then use a warm heat source?

I've never used the bleach method - is there a reason for this?

Grow them just like you would the rest of your peppers. I haven't grown them but once, but I didn't have any germination problems with Bhuts or Nagas.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2010   #19
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Troll View Post
What I love about Bhut Jolokia is that I can use a small amount to heat something up & it won't overwhelm with some extra-fruity chinense flavor that I personally don't care for.

*gasp!*

*edges away*
Old February 1, 2010   #20
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Blueaussi,
I'll be planting them tonight like others peppers I've tried - without the bleach.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2010   #21
Flame of Bodensee
Tomatovillian™

this year i try this bhut jolokia too, i'm not sure if i try one fruit when it's ripe but the plant lookin awful.
till yet i have three little seedlings in pots, germination was after 1 Week, germination heat was around +28 degrees have soaked them in chamomile tea for 1 whole day before sowing.

greetz Matthias
Old February 2, 2010   #22
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

"Pepper Gal" ( http://www.peppergal.com/) Recommends soaking all pepper seeds in a Salt Petre solution.

Quote:
Salt Petre, Potassium Nitrate - Add one tablespoon to a quart of water. Then put the water in small glasses or jars (depending on how many varieties of seeds you wish to soak) and leave for 4 to 8 hours. This soaking will speed up the germination of otherwise difficult to germinate seeds. Seeds lying dormant for too long a period will blacken and rot before germinating. Drain and save the solution to use for watering the seeds.
I tried this last year and did have better germination. Also, peppers "pout" in any mix that contains peat. I have found this caveat on many, many sites.

From Redwood City Seeds http://userwebs.batnet.com/rwc-seed/...wing.tips.html

Quote:
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ever use peat pots, peat pellets, or potting soil that is mostly peat.

Everyone always asks "Why??" ---We don't know---It may be that the peat is too acidic, or that there is something in peat that inhibits pepper seed germination. All we know, is that whenever anyone has had problems with pepper seed germination, when the seedsare known to have good germination after testing them on top of moist cotton--part of the problem has always been peat pellets, or potting soil that was mostly peat.
Photos testing various potting mixes below, sowing the same seeds in each three inch pot:

Sand and Supersoil potting mix

Miracle Gro® Seed Starter mix and Sphagnum Peat Moss

Miracle Gro® Cactus mix and Scott's Premium mix

Miracle Gro® Orchid mix and Miracle Gro® Organic Choice
Here are my ratings, of potting soil for pepper seed starting, based on the number of strong seedlings that resulted on June 7, 2009 when planting the same seeds were planted in each three-inch pot on April 19. Rated from zero to eight, with eight as the best.
0 = Sand
1 = Supersoil, Miracle Gro® Seed Starter and Miracle Gro® Sphagnum Peat Moss.
3 = Miracle Gro® Cactus, Palm and Citrus mix
7 = Scott's Premium potting soil
7+ = Miracle Gro® Orchid mix
8 = Miracle Gro® Organic Choice
The toxic effect of the pure sand on the pepper seeds was a surprise, so instead of using any sand in your pepper potting soil, use perlite instead.
For pepper seed germinating, the inhibiting effect of the various mixes, was usually in direct relationship with the percentage sphagnum peat moss in each mix.
1 = Miracle Gro® Seed Starter = 90-95% peat moss.
3 = M.G. Cactus, Palm & Citrus mix = 40-50% forest products, plus, peat moss, sand, and perlite.
7 = Scott's Premium potting soil = 45-55% forest products, plus, peat moss, sand, and perlite.
7+ = Miracle Gro® Orchid mix = 100% forest products.
8 = Miracle Gro® Organic Choice = 50-55% composted bark, plus, peat moss, and poultry litter.
Overall, I would recommend the Miracle Gro® Orchid mix, as the best for starting pepper seeds.
Old February 2, 2010   #23
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I grow a whole lot of peppers every year, and I have to tell you, that's just silly. I use peat pots and seed starting mediums with peat all the time. Peat cups are not my favorite things to use, but it has nothing to do with inhibiting pepper germination. Keeping them evenly moist is fussier, and a lot of them start to crumble before it's time to plant. Sometimes they're what's to hand, though, so I use them.

And I never soak seeds unless I know before hand there are are issues with germination in that batch.
Old February 2, 2010   #24
cmpman1974
Tomatovillian™

Hey JT, so nice to see you posting!!

Chris
cmpman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2010   #25
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Hi Chris,

Sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut.. LOL! I hope Greg likes this variety as much as I do. Bhut Js will will be a staple in my garden for as long as am able to grow stuff.

And if anyone in the world knows abt growing super hots it is you! I fondly remember you offering me a teeny tiny sliver of one of your fresh pods and I literally could not talk for minutes. Alex (habaneohead) chomped down a larger portion and was almost immediately a fountain of sweat. Never seen a person's face sweat that much so quickly in my life! Sweat poured off him! If only I had had my Flip Ultra then.

So I don't like excessively fruity flavor... can't help it. And is one of the reasons I like Chocolate Habs.

Be watching your mail box around Saturday, my friend.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2010   #26
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

I have had mixed results with Bhuts. Some seed took three weeks other three days. Both pre-spouting and planting in a soil less mix work. I also do give the seeds a warm bath for half an hour before planting. Right now I am attempting to start some Chocalate Bhuts and it has been a challange. Two seeds have sprouted but don't appear to be doing well. Also I am using coir to start other peppers and it works great.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2010   #27
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
I grow a whole lot of peppers every year, and I have to tell you, that's just silly. I use peat pots and seed starting mediums with peat all the time. Peat cups are not my favorite things to use, but it has nothing to do with inhibiting pepper germination. Keeping them evenly moist is fussier, and a lot of them start to crumble before it's time to plant. Sometimes they're what's to hand, though, so I use them.

And I never soak seeds unless I know before hand there are are issues with germination in that batch.
Maybe it's an "SUB-urban legend"??? No kidding, I have read that same advise on numerous chili sites. Was just passing it on...Now I can personally vouch for the salt petre soak...I had much improved and much quicker germination including Bhuts...mine germinated in 12 days last year (and I always use heat mats to start everything anyway...) The year before, it took nearly 5 weeks and I had much fewer germinate (and as these were from the same batch of seed, one would assume that the older seed would have poorer germination than the new seed but it was the opposite....) I start them for a friend as I don't need anything nearly that blazing. Her father is from India and actually eats them out-of-hand...I cannot even imagine...
Old February 2, 2010   #28
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
Maybe it's an "SUB-urban legend"??? No kidding, I have read that same advise on numerous chili sites. Was just passing it on...
You know, I perused that guy's site, and he's just a font of silliness. I think I would question any of his assertions, and I *know* I wouldn't buy anything from him.

Unfortunately, once these myths get started, they're hard to stamp out. I was just flipping through an earthworm book the other day, and the author suggested sprinkling corn meal around ant mounds to kill the ants. She said it would swell up in their stomachs and claimed rice thrown at weddings would do the same to birds. It doesn't matter how often both those claims are proved false, people will swear they're true.

Quote:
..Now I can personally vouch for the salt petre soak...I had much improved and much quicker germination including Bhuts...mine germinated in 12 days last year (and I always use heat mats to start everything anyway...)

That's normal, not fast. Maybe you had old seed to start with, and they needed the boost to germinate. Regular one to two year old Bhut or Naga seed shouldn't be any more difficult to germinate than any other variety. Tepin peppers can be slow to germinate, and some of the wild peppers are notorious for being slow, but I've never heard of anyone having much trouble with Bhuts or Nagas.

That being said, I think it was Carolyn who said that nitrate can improve germination in old seeds, but I believe she suggested using the blue stuff from the big box stores.

Most of the hard core pepper growers I know have some sort of voodoo soaking method they use to get faster germination. I've tried a few of them on occasion, but I haven't seen much difference.
Old February 2, 2010   #29
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
You know, I perused that guy's site, and he's just a font of silliness. I think I would question any of his assertions, and I *know* I wouldn't buy anything from him.

Unfortunately, once these myths get started, they're hard to stamp out. I was just flipping through an earthworm book the other day, and the author suggested sprinkling corn meal around ant mounds to kill the ants. She said it would swell up in their stomachs and claimed rice thrown at weddings would do the same to birds. It doesn't matter how often both those claims are proved false, people will swear they're true.

That's normal, not fast. Maybe you had old seed to start with, and they needed the boost to germinate. Regular one to two year old Bhut or Naga seed shouldn't be any more difficult to germinate than any other variety. Tepin peppers can be slow to germinate, and some of the wild peppers are notorious for being slow, but I've never heard of anyone having much trouble with Bhuts or Nagas.

That being said, I think it was Carolyn who said that nitrate can improve germination in old seeds, but I believe she suggested using the blue stuff from the big box stores.

Most of the hard core pepper growers I know have some sort of voodoo soaking method they use to get faster germination. I've tried a few of them on occasion, but I haven't seen much difference.
Quote:
but I've never heard of anyone having much trouble with Bhuts or Nagas.
Really? I have heard lots of complaints about slow germination (not so much for poor germination) Well...it must have reached legend status...I did a quick check and there were 3 sites saying the no peat stuff...I don't use peat cups or starter that has much peat anyway (peat cups fall apart too easy and are not large enough for me...) I use large styrofoam...I don't want to have to transplant or handle any more times than I have to. Peat cups also dry out too fast. I have found that bottom heat has been the single reason for better/quicker germination and in everything, not just peppers. I think lots of first-time growers don't know that and that is why they have poor results and get frustrated. I have not personally bought from Redwood City Seeds but I do know they have been around for a long time (they were the breeder "I think" of the tomato "Romeo" that no one seems to be able to find anymore (Carolyn, if that is wrong, feel free to whack me...) I will bow to your pepper expertise as they are not a primary crop for me and my husband actually grows them, not me...although I start everything.
Old February 3, 2010   #30
Mjdtexan
Tomatovillian™

I am growing the Bhut Jolokia, Red Savina, Trinidad Scorpion, 7 Pot, Fatalii, Jalapenos, Tabasco, and several Habanero varieties.