Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 3, 2010   #1
alamo5000
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone ever tried pickled green tomatoes?

We had a dozen or so tomato plants in the ground that we stripped clean just before the first real frost. We had somewhere around 15 or 20 pounds of green tomatoes...

I heard of people making pickled green tomatoes so I looked online and found a whole bunch of recipies for it... all varying widely. So what I did was just kinda mix and match what I would want in mine....

I used about 1/2 box of pickling spices....some vinegar and water...a few cups of light brown sugar (about 1 pound) and a little bit of mustard powder, salt, and some dry dill weed.

I sliced up the tomatoes, two big white onions and 4 huge mexican bannana peppers...I marinated the tomatoes, onions, and peppers in really salty water... and while that was going on I had my mix all boiling away.

I had to add a little more sugar and vinegar and so on and so forth to fine tune it...once I got the taste I wanted I added the tomato/pepper/onion mix and let it soak for a few minutes.

I bottled it up and put them in a big pickle jar and then ladeled the soup over it and sealed it up.

Initial impressions are that I impressed myself. Not too shabby AT ALL.

Definitely worth a try.

On a side note we fried some of the green ones, and made another recipie with some of them, and this is now the pickled ones...

(PS I have 5 big tomato plants that are putting out nice fat red tomatoes in December thanks to my greenhouse...MMM!!! I have 35 Brandywine Suddith plants already a foot high as well)
alamo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote