Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 10, 2008   #16
Lomatia
Tomatovillian™

Paul, I grew Giant Aconcagua this year and will certainly do so again. I think that it was my best pepper (although I found Sweet Cayenne pretty good as well)
Allowed some to go red and grilled them. Nice, sweet and quite large.
Lomatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2008   #17
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayax68 View Post
Andrey, so is cheese pepper a what we used to call "gogoshar" in Moldova?

Maya.
Yes, Maya. Gogoshary is a typical cheese (or tomato) type sweet pepper. There is also Novogogoshary sweet pepper and some other flattened sweeties like that of Russian origin (Solnyshko, Sadovoe Koltso, Yaroslav)...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2014   #18
sm1nts2escape
Tomatovillian™

I grew the Giant Acongagua, Red Marconi, Corno di Toro, carmen hybrid, Sweet apple pepper, Topepo Rosso, Red cheese and Jimmy Nardello. Out of all the ones listed the CDT was still the sweetest I have had with a tie for 2nd between the rest with the jimmy nardello being my least favorite beacause there isn't much meat to the pepper and it is full of seeds. I will be growing all of them again next year minus the jimmy nardello carmen+red marconi (late producers,susceptible to black spot and low on production). I am trying shepherds ram horn next year with high hopes for it.
sm1nts2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2014   #19
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Dang it, I wish I could grow them all.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2014   #20
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I prefer Alma Paprika only thing is they are pretty small.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2014   #21
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

Ddsack, I grew a cheese type called Greygo(seeds from Alex...got some Elephant Ear seeds from him too)when living in Wisconsin, zone 3/4. They did well in containers and in a raised bed, so don't give up on trying the cheese types. I have yet to try them here in the PNW, but I really liked them...very sweet.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2014   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Early Sunsation was my best bell, and I really liked both Corno di Toro Yellow and Red.

I have a pic of my peppers from last summer as my desktop background right now, maybe because it's winter and peppers make me think of summer:
http://i.imgur.com/H9l5C1B.jpg
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2014   #23
peppero
Tomatovillian™

THAT IS ONE NICE PICTURE! ENVY, ENVY AND MORE ENVY.

JON
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2014   #24
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

thanks
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2014   #25
sm1nts2escape
Tomatovillian™

Nice pic! Here is one of mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140822_094211_283.JPG (144.6 KB, 171 views)
sm1nts2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2014   #26
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Although Jimmy Nardello's are not that big, I haven't found one sweeter or tastier.
Not that I've grown a whole a lot of different varieties. Also very sweet to me was
Carmen F1.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2014   #27
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have grown a lot of sweet peppers but the sweetest by far was a hybrid called Early Thickset. It made rather small bells that had incredibly thick dark red walls. Karma and Socrates are the sweetest large bells I have found but I no longer grow Karma because of the brittle limbs that tend to break every time we have high wind or heavy rain. Another really sweet pepper is Slonovo which is an oblong pepper with a pointed tip and it also has thick walls. I have not found an exceptionally sweet yellow pepper but I like to plant a few for the variety they offer.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2014   #28
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Two of my favorites have already been mentioned:

I grew the conical Elephant Ear this year; it ripened completely in a cooler than normal summer. I liked its earliness, weight (avg. over 5 ounces), thick walls, glossy appearance... and of course, its flavor. It kept pretty well after harvest, too, much better than Cubanelle, which I also grew. Of the two, though, Cubanelle was sweeter immature, and more productive as a green pepper.

Greygo is the largest cheese pepper I've grown, and is one of the few peppers I grow every year. It too is only OK to me when green, but when ripe, as sweet as an apple, without the aftertaste I get from many ripe peppers.

Orange Bell is one of my favorites for sweet flavor, but it is temperamental in my climate.

My favorite green pepper, Pizza, is technically a 'hot' pepper, which it will be if picked in warm weather. But if harvested green just before frost, it becomes almost completely sweet. If not growing it for seed, I generally plant it a little bit late for that reason. The peppers look like over-sized jalapenos, with very thick walls. They have delicious flavor, with a surprising crunchiness that they maintain in storage... and they keep for an incredibly long time with only minimal loss of quality. I am still eating the peppers I harvested October 5th. Can't say enough about this pepper, IMO it is truly gourmet quality.

I've grown quite a few peppers that were very sweet when ripe, but had thin walls (which I am not fond of) such as Apple and some of the long thin 'frying' peppers.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2014   #29
sunshine33
Tomatovillian™

That pic is so colorful and wow!
sunshine33 is offline   Reply With Quote