Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 29, 2012   #46
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

If they are in pots you can bring them in to extend the season. I have a greenhouse, and so was able to get a small amount of peppers all through the winter. But I've heard of people overwintering them in a sunny room in their house or even in basements or garages as long as you have some lights.

You just have to make sure they don't freeze and they have enough light and water to keep them alive. If so, then even if they don't produce during the winter, you can still get a few extra end of season peppers and then you start off the Spring season with a full grown plant.

All ready to go as soon as it gets warm enough!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #47
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Slonovo uvo looks like a pepper I'd like to try. If you look at this thread http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=6595
it shows more pictures under "elephant ear"

It one of the picture posted above it shows Soroksari that I want to try. Gourmet seeds does have that though.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #48
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm still trying to figure out if Slonovo Uvo is a hybrid or not. I contacted the Superior Seeds, Ltd. via a website FILMNET sent to me but haven't gotten a direct answer to that question. I emailed again using Google Translator and am awaiting another response. Below is what I've been told so far:

Dear Kathleen,

Thank you so much for your interest.★

Slonovo Uvo translated into English means Elephant Ear. These two are the same. We usually use Elephant Ear name when we speak with foreign countries to describe how big this pepper is. Our breeder Ivo Djinovic created this variety way back and all other peppers which are alike Elephant Ear are actually a copy and it is used similar crossing to try to create similar pepper. This pepper is popular because it gives fruits in large volumes and it was very popular in the back, maybe way more than now. For this reason there are many copies of this pepper.★

Palanacko Cudo is a copy of Elephant Ear (Slonovo Uvo) and it is from an institute in Smederevska Palanka. It is also a very good pepper.★

Superior is from Velika Plana.

Sincerely,★

Katarina Martinović
Export Sales Manager
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #49
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
If they are in pots you can bring them in to extend the season. I have a greenhouse, and so was able to get a small amount of peppers all through the winter. But I've heard of people overwintering them in a sunny room in their house or even in basements or garages as long as you have some lights.

You just have to make sure they don't freeze and they have enough light and water to keep them alive. If so, then even if they don't produce during the winter, you can still get a few extra end of season peppers and then you start off the Spring season with a full grown plant.

All ready to go as soon as it gets warm enough!
I have a three year old jalapeño and two year old habanero and anaheims. Peppers last a lot longer than tomatoes, much less disease prone.
Eggplants will overwinter well, too.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #50
kath
Tomatovillian™

Got good news this a.m. from Marko and from Katarina from Superior Seeds that Palanacko Cudo and Slonovo Uvo are both open pollinated varieties. Will try to figure out a way to bag blossoms/plants without sacrificing too many fruits.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2012   #51
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

So many great peppers....amongst favorite sweets - Orange Bell (got it when I first joined the SSE in the mid 1980s), Islander/Blue Jay F1, the long sweets like Corno di Toro and Marconi - both the red and yellow ripening forms.

Favorite hots - I love the NuMex Jalapeno types - Vacquero and especially Pinata - for Salsa. And all of the various ornamental types just for their appearance - Vietnamese Multiicolor, Chinese Five Color, Bolivian Rainbow, Fish, etc.
Old June 3, 2012   #52
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Stupid question but I hear people reference some as ornamentals, does that mean there are no culinary uses? Thanks
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2012   #53
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Not at all - ornamental hot peppers have dual use - culinary (most are very, very hot - they are great to dry when they turn red and grind them into hot pepper flakes, use in stir fry dishes etc - they tend to be smaller), but they are striking and lovely so are nice additions to interplant with flowers...or, if you are like me, just plant dozens and dozens in pots and put them in the driveway to enjoy!

Check out the ones in this thread - I am playing around with many colorful but edible hot peppers http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10044
Old June 3, 2012   #54
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Yep, those ornamentals will get you, if you're not careful! My son (over a decade ago) thought one was so pretty that he popped the tiny purple ball into his mouth.

It was hot enough that we ended up having to call poison control to find out how to get it to stop burning his mouth.

So, very beautiful and good for powders, but not so good around young children.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #55
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
Stupid question but I hear people reference some as ornamentals, does that mean there are no culinary uses? Thanks
You can use the ornamentals in cooking, but most do not have the
best flavor, since they concentrate on the looks.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #56
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Agreed roper - that's why I've found the best use as providing heat - I pick a slew of them when red, let them air dry - they are typically thin walled - bag them up. When we need hot pepper flakes, I just put a handful of them in a food chopper, whirl them a few times (don't breathe near the thing when you open it up) - and presto! Great hot pepper flakes.
Old June 4, 2012   #57
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

My favorite pepper by far is Inferno, a hybrid hot banana pepper. It is huge, early, and consistently hot unlike the open pollinated varieties. But what gets me is the unique aroma and flavor it has. It is not as hot as my favorite Jalapeno, Tula ( the hottest jal I've grown) but that just means I can eat more of them. They are also perfect straight out of the freezer for frying or grilling. I went through two bagfuls (1 gal. bags) this winter just for making breakfast sandwiches.
Old June 4, 2012   #58
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Not at all - ornamental hot peppers have dual use - culinary (most are very, very hot - they are great to dry when they turn red and grind them into hot pepper flakes, use in stir fry dishes etc - they tend to be smaller), but they are striking and lovely so are nice additions to interplant with flowers...or, if you are like me, just plant dozens and dozens in pots and put them in the driveway to enjoy!

Check out the ones in this thread - I am playing around with many colorful but edible hot peppers http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10044
Got it. Thats what I thought but was starting to worry. I was planning on using the ornamentals as flakes or in stir fry exactly as you said. Oh and trust you me I've watched your video several times already. The colors and shapes are amazing
Thanks guys.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2012   #59
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

If I missed it being mentioned I apologize. A discussion involving sweet peppers and no mention of Tollie's!? Wow. In my garden it is the sweetest there is. I also like Corno Di Torro and Marconi just to mention a couple.

Of the Jalapeno types Jaloro is a bit mild but has good sweet flavor. The Pepper Pack prefers Jalapeno M (heat/flovor combo).

Pepper Pack hot pepper recommendations: Ring of Fire and Bulgarian Carrot.

Of the super hots my favorite is True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote