Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 3, 2006   #1
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Default Oaxacan Jewel (PL)

Anyone have experience with this one? Here is the info I have to date. I have grown Lucky Cross once - and while the flavour was fabulous, production was low and it was very late. This variety appears to be about two weeks earlier? Tried Virginia Sweets last year, and I suppose typical of most bicolours just did not have the taste I was looking for, although a beautiful one to look at. Really trying to finalize my grow list (would like one bicolour), and this one's been on it since I received seeds

This little gem from Oaxaca has a wonderfully intense, lingering fruity flavor. Exceptional! One of the great surprise of the 2003 season. Bicolored, medium to large size fruits covered with very long petioles (left picture). Marbled flesh. Medium size, potato-leaf plant. High seed purity. Very rare! From the mountains of the state of Oaxaca, Mexico (zapotecs). Highly recommended. 75 days. 5" smooth beefsteak fruits; unlike most beefsteak varieties, this is orange (not yellow) with a red starburst on the bottom; excellent sweet flavor.MI AU L 99 - from CV
Leland Austin, Ann Arbor, MI
Not listed in Garden Seed Inventory v.5
Old February 3, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Oaxacan Jewel is a regular leaf variety as far as I remember - if it is listed as PL, something has gone on with it (cross, mix up, etc). Also, beware of trusting any info on maturity dates - it all depends on....everything, for the most part! Give it a try - let us know how it does!
Old February 3, 2006   #3
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Oaxacan Jewel (PL)

D,
My PL database shows one Oaxacan Jewel (PL) source as being from Reinhard Kraft's 2002 list.
I agree with Craig that there had to be a cross somewhere back there. I probably have PL seeds for 50+varieties that are supposed to be RL . That's OK because the PL ones are unique, but they should be given a separate and different name as Craig and others have stated in the past to avoid confusion.
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2006   #4
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Thank you both for your comments. Looks like I may end up with either leaf form. Haven't yet heard back from trader.

Spudleaf - if I do get a PL - maybe we should agree on a new name for same
Old February 5, 2006   #5
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Oaxacan Jewel PL, name for new one

D,
Spud says: how about Guadalajara Gem!!!

I think I spelled That Mexican city right ????
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2006   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Oaxacan Jewel (PL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudleafwillie
D,
My PL database shows one Oaxacan Jewel (PL) source as being from Reinhard Kraft's 2002 list.
I agree with Craig that there had to be a cross somewhere back there. I probably have PL seeds for 50+varieties that are supposed to be RL . That's OK because the PL ones are unique, but they should be given a separate and different name as Craig and others have stated in the past to avoid confusion.

Bill,

As long as it was a single spontaneous mutation that converted a heterozygous RL to a PL and all else is the same I don't think a new name is needed at all.

I maintain several varieties in both the RL and PL forms, and all else is the same for both, but I don't distribute seeds for the wrong leaf form, as determined by what the original variety description was.

I made one exception and that was two years ago when I was offering about 150 varieties at GW and I had only enough seeds for Polish ( Ellis) or Polish C, I can't remember which right now, if I used the RL seeds ( both are PL), and since so many wanted that one variety I ended up sending out those seeds, but asked everyone to NOT distribute them and grow them for personal use only.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2006   #7
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

I didn't have good productivity at all the year I grew Oaxacan jewel, but want to try it again.

I found Marvel stripe to be a nice bicolor, but I think there are two varieties with the same name. I believe mine came from Marianna's.