Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 1, 2017   #1
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Default How to stop rats

In spite of having bait stations that are working (dead rats in the yard that I get to dispose of), I've got some rats that prefer to eat my tomatoes instead of the bait. They seem to be ignoring the rat traps with peanut butter too. I know it is rats because I've caught them scampering away from my beds at night when I put a light on them. Then by the next morning, entire tomatoes are gone and/or large portions of them are eaten. They prefer them starting to ripen, but, will take green if that is what there is. (I pick on blush, so green is what there is).

I would appreciate you responding to this thread with your best techniques for stopping the rats from stealing your months of hard work, just before you get them. Thanks and good luck out there.

Dewayne.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Rats are smart.
It may be the ones not messing with your bait and traps can smell you on them.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Or they saw their brethren die.
Old June 1, 2017   #4
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Someone mentioned putting water out for critters as they may be eating tomatoes due to thirst. But it's been raining in Texas hasn't it.

Last year I used the mesh netting bags that oranges and other veggies come in to put around my trusses of tomatoes and that worked. They tried to get through, couldn't and stopped trying.
I also used old mesh curtain bits to wrap the figs on the tree in to keep rats out of them. Both seemed to work along with bait stations.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Someone on here from San Diego had a rat problem. Their solution was to build a metal lathe screen enclosure to keep them out.

I'd be tempted to fence the area for a small dog that would hunt them. A lot of animal shelters have policies that allow you to "test drive" a shelter pet for a weekend or so. You could hold auditions for the best rat hunter, winner gets adopted.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #6
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Metal screen is interesting. I assume it would have to be a cube with a roof though? Rats can climb for sure.

It has actually been an extremely dry May in DFW (.7 of an inch for the month, normally our wettest month.) I may try putting out water...nothing to lose by that.

G.C. do you mean the plastic or rubber mesh bags? How would that possibly stop razor sharp rat teeth? I would totally do that. If you can, please describe them more and I'll hunt some up!

Keep them coming. Rats out number us, so many tactics will probably be needed in this war!
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #7
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

This is what I mean.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=image...w=1138&bih=704

And yes, they actually worked! I have noticed that very few rats will have anything much to do with plastic. At first they tried biting through to the tomatoes but gave up without ever biting through the mesh. A few I doubled but it seemed unnecessary.
A screen house, if affordable, would be fabulous for keeping out bugs etc too.

Some of last year's.

Last edited by GrowingCoastal; June 1, 2017 at 01:09 PM. Reason: memory - I'm old!
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #8
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
It has actually been an extremely dry May in DFW (.7 of an inch for the month, normally our wettest month.) I may try putting out water...nothing to lose by that.
Be sure you change the water daily. There will shortly be wigglers in it. I found a batch in a watering can with a fertilizer mix in it. I didn't think they'd like the chemicals but

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #9
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

PM Sent.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #10
hill60
Tomatovillian™

As Worth has stated rats are smart. There is no one method that will work all the time. We have used old fashion spring loaded traps with different baits. We have used the battery zap traps, built maize style traps used sticky traps. We frequently change up the placement of the traps. If a trap has caught one or two rats we change the trap and where it is placed. They prefer baits to not sit around long.

When we are having more than the usual issues with rats we will change traps and baits every few days. It becomes a focused mission they don't get to live where we live.

Denice
hill60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #11
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Someone on here from San Diego had a rat problem. Their solution was to build a metal lathe screen enclosure to keep them out.

I'd be tempted to fence the area for a small dog that would hunt them. A lot of animal shelters have policies that allow you to "test drive" a shelter pet for a weekend or so. You could hold auditions for the best rat hunter, winner gets adopted.
We're the ones in San Diego with the rat problem. It's been bad for years and just keeps getting worse. We can't grow anything edible outside any more as the rats just eat everything when green. My husband built some "lath houses" - our name for them, which is like a greenhouse made of rib lath screening with a poly panel roof. Google Lath House Gardens for some pictures of our set up. We started with a Harbor Freight 10x12 greenhouse that my husband modified by taking out the poly sides and replacing with rib lath. It's not the cheapest option, but it definitely keeps the rats out. I'm growing tomatoes, zucchini and cukes inside them this year.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #12
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Lovely lath houses. You did a great job!
Old June 1, 2017   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had a big giant rat run up ,my leg and onto my chest looking at me.
My Pit Bull Miss Kitty jumped up grabbed it and swallowed it whole.

Worth
Old June 1, 2017   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Rats are smart and they will keep coming back until they eat everything so you have to kill them. There is a poison for rats that can be added to water that will work when they are looking for something to drink but it must be under cover and inaccessible to other animals like dogs, cats and birds. I use a bait station with the little green pellets in it and it has worked great just as long as the bait is fresh. I only put it out when I have a problem and in a few days they are all dead. I got the bait station at Tractor Supply and the bait.

A shotgun and flashlight will work but it is frowned upon in my town. You could get a few with a pellet rifle and flashlight but it might take some time and a lot of mosquito bites.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2017   #15
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Know your enemy. Rats have a tendency to run in a straight line along the bottom of a house or fence. If you leave a trap in the middle of the yard, you won't catch the rat. He doesn't like to travel in the wide open space. Put the trap next to a fence or wall closest to the garden. If you have a raised bed, put the trap along the wall below the garden.

The bait stations with two holes work great. Position the bait station next to a fence or wall so the rat running along the wall will run straight into the hole in the bait station. Rats love holes. He will find the bait and so long Mr. Rat.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote