Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old April 19, 2009   #1
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Default Canning jar lids

Anybody used the new lids from Kerr? Instead of the bronze/gold finish they are now "brushed silver." This is part of their 125th Anniversary:

"This spring, Ball will also release a series of anniversary products for fresh preserving and storage:
In addition to the anniversary products, Ball will also update their lids on all fresh preserving jars which will feature a brushed silver finish for a sleek, new design."

I am wondering if the quality these new ones is the same, since I think these new ones cost less than the old ones. Or is the change purely cosmetic?

I might try to find some of the old style even though they cost a bit more. I think our local Ace Hardware still has some of the old style lids.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.

Last edited by Ruth_10; April 19, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2009   #2
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Ruth, I used the new lids putting up jelly and I could not tell any difference in them. Hope this helps.

here's to a good season,
neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2009   #3
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that info, veggie babe. I was wondering about them too.
Do you think they'll be that color from now on?

~* Robin
Old April 23, 2009   #4
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

I hope they're not made of aluminum.

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote