Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old June 21, 2021   #1
Maxamillion529
Tomatovillian™

Default Leader of indeterminate terminating?

Hi Folks,

Wondering if anyone can help me understand how this tomato is growing? It is a black russian, indeterminate apparently (https://metchosinfarm.ca/product/black-russian-tomato/) but following its first flower cluster it seems like the main leader has produced a second flower cluster? I was planning to prune to 2 main leaders but not sure what to do now... is there a chance that it is a determinate and I will be cutting production? I have 3 plants, 2 of which have this growth pattern. Also, first year growing lots of tomatoes so maybe this is normal?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black russian flower.jpg (233.5 KB, 90 views)
Maxamillion529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2021   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

That will be determinate for sure, so I would stop pruning now.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2021   #3
Maxamillion529
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Zipcode. Makes sense except that I’m meticulous about labelling and I’m confident they’re labelled correctly… and even if I weren’t I don’t own any determinate seeds that I could have mixed up. Any thoughts on what would explain that? Also, it’s the very first flower cluster of the season on these plants that its terminating at. Is that normal?
Old June 22, 2021   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Are these seeds saved by you from an indeterminate? In that case it's hard to explain. This is how determinates like roma grow for example. Not all follow the same patters. It's really important for determinates to let that big sucker under the first flower cluster live. In fact, that's how determinates are usually pruned: everything until that sucker, and then let the plant do whatever. This way you get the air circulation at the base but still have plenty enough branches that will form on top.
Old June 22, 2021   #5
Maxamillion529
Tomatovillian™

Nope, they came from a seed package! There's a very small chance I mixed them up with Indigo Rose but unlikely... will just have to wait and see!

For pruning determinates, most people on the forum say don't prune them at all - does that mean don't prune a single sucker, or prune everything below the first flower and then don't prune?
Old June 23, 2021   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Probably some seeds got mixed in the packet. Most people on this forum don't prune anything, including indeterminates.
Yes, the way you see it advised is don't prune at all, but in the countries where single stem is the default for indeterminates this is the way one prunes determinates.
I would say start with the nopruning method as the first one and then see how to proceed next year.