Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 9, 2021   #31
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Lisa,
yes, they usually come with a warning. Mine did. When I first used them I laughed at it. A big mistake. After several days I developed conjunctivitis (pink eye). Not a very serious case, but it wasn't pleasant. They say it's the high frequency blue light. Since then I've been trying hard not to look into them and I always switch them off when I need to tend to my tomatoes. And if that isn't possible, I wear dark sunglasses. No need to say that they have to be shaded so that the light cannot come into the room (I use them in windows). The problem hasn't recurred.

Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2021   #32
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Milan. They were very heavy when I first bought mine. Menards, a hardware store in the northern midwest of the US, is advertising one for $50. I wonder if the large LED's are lighter in weight now too. Might be worth rebuying for convenience at some point.

Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2021   #33
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

I am not sure if they are lighter now. The weight is mainly due to the heat sinkers/absorbers. The lights proper are relatively small and not heavy. But of course, the design of the structure/frame also matters.

Milan
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2021   #34
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
Wow, that really is a good price. Thanks!

Still being sold at my Wally World (went from delivery to pick up only after I ordered one for trial on a small shelf, so may be a closeout). Any update on how the seedlings did?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote