Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old March 5, 2016   #16
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I would second taking a class. Really the best way to learn from people who have canned for decades. In my area canning is still commonplace so wasn't hard to find people to help me get started. Good luck and maybe check with your local ag extension for classes.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #17
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Follow directions and you won't have any problems.
Food borne botulism is serious but very rare in these modern times. The incidence of botulism according to the CDC is 0.1 cases per million people, of those only about a quarter are from foods, generally improperly canned game meats in Alaska (seal, whale, fish etc) . Of the total number of cases, statistically 3-5 % may die making it exceedingly rare to die from food-borne Botulism in the USA.
Make your recipes paying attention to good food handling hygiene practices and follow directions for the canning process and you will be just fine. Home canned foods are a wonderful way to preserve your garden bounty and a treat in the winter.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #18
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I want to assure you the presto canner will work on a glass top stove.
I have done the research not only with Presto but with my GE glass top stove.

By the way if you just buy the old school granite water bath canner kettle the glass top will not get hot enough to boil water.
I have to use my tri clad stainless to do it.

Worth
I've done lots and lots of reading about it. Basically we don't own the stove so we don't have an owners manual. If you have an owners manual many glass top stoves will tell you which canner you can use on them. There are very few that you actually can't use one on. But we don't know which one our stove is without the manual...so I'm not going to risk it.
Plus I simply can't afford the $300 the landlord will charge for there being a crack in the top or the glass turning colors due to the canner.

I have the granite type canner so I bought an inexpensive plug in two burner set up (It cost $15). I actually like it better! I can have the canner going full steam on one counter, me prepping the next batch to cook on the other counter and the jam/sauce cooking on the stove. I can get twice as much done in the same time. I love it! Plus in the summer I will be taking that plug in unit along with our camping stove outside onto the porch and escaping the heat indoors.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I didn't have a manual either I just looked on the stove and looked it up on line.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #20
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I have a GE flat top glass stove and my granite water bath canner works fine.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I have a GE flat top glass stove and my granite water bath canner works fine.
Strange my big one wont do it, it takes forever and have a GE.

Worth
Old March 5, 2016   #22
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I have a Sears something-or-other. But it has a crack in it due to my son dropping a heavy pot on it. Does that eliminate it from the canning?

Last edited by ChiliPeppa; March 6, 2016 at 01:10 PM.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #23
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
By the way if you just buy the old school granite water bath canner kettle the glass top will not get hot enough to boil water.
I have to use my tri clad stainless to do it.

Worth
Actually, my water bath canner (standard dark blue with white speckles enameled metal from Walmart) does boil water easily on our Fridgidaire glass top. I use it to sterilize jars and lids. It's all about the contact between the stove and the canner. It also helps to keep the lid on.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #24
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

We use the same thing on our glass top stove with no trouble.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #25
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Strange my big one wont do it, it takes forever and have a GE.

Worth
I start with hot water from the faucet to speed things up but it does boil fine.

Actually I don't need to use the big canner all that often. I mostly use a smaller stockpot with a rack in the bottom because I am canning smaller jars of jam, jelly or jelly jars of sauerkraut.

I freeze quart jars of tomatoes these days.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I start with hot water from the faucet to speed things up but it does boil fine.

Actually I don't need to use the big canner all that often. I mostly use a smaller stockpot with a rack in the bottom because I am canning smaller jars of jam, jelly or jelly jars of sauerkraut.

I freeze quart jars of tomatoes these days.

I use my huge 22 quart or 16 quart stainless kettles with the thick bottoms.

Worth
Old March 6, 2016   #27
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

My 30 quart cast aluminum All American canner weighs over 50 lbs when fully loaded with 14 quarts. This is just too much for the glass top electric cooktop that came with my new bride, so we bought a new stainless steel five burner propane cooktop and had a propane line extended into the kitchen. Been canning for over 40 years and am not about to give up my AA canner. Yes I know there are other much cheaper options but we wanted a gas cooktop for general cooking anyhow.

TomNJVA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #28
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Good for you, Tom. We are building a home and electricity is the only utility available. I hate my electric range and won't pc can on it. Too hard to control the heat (takes forever to bring a boil back down to a simmer). I insisted that we put in propane for the range so I can use gas. I expected a lot of pushback but hubby agreed fairly readily. So happy and can't wait!
Old March 8, 2016   #29
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Canning is great! I hope you overcome your fear and try it!

@Backyardfarm, question, what brand and where did you buy that standalone burner?
Quote:
I have the granite type canner so I bought an inexpensive plug in two burner set up (It cost $15). I actually like it better!
As said the presto works on glass. However, the glass needs to be kept very clean. When I first got a 23 qt presto a few years back it would not boil water on our glass top. It came close to a boil but then the stove would overheat and only cycle on for about 3 sec out of 10, on high. Upon removal, there were big hot spots on the burner. Same on another burner. I spoke to presto about it, sent it back, and they evaluated it; they claimed the bottom was within spec. When I got it back it worked fine... The only difference on my end was keeping the burner very clean with barkeeper's friend. I'm not sure if they swapped me another pot, or not. I just know the process was disheartening and a pain in the butt.

I would sure love to have a gas range, but we're stuck with electric at this point.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The government sites do more to scare people about canning then they do good.
There are better ways to get a point across than to scare the devil out of people.

If you are worried about botulism then just put 1/2 teaspoon if citric acid in each quart of tomatoes and be done with it.
You dont need to do this with a set of gram scales magnifying glass and an eye dropper.
The ball powdered critic acid is strong stuff.
Also if the instructions say to process for a certain amount of time dont add more time.
They have already added more time all you will be doing is ruing your produce.
The acid will not let the bacteria grow.
The object behind the processing is to get the jar to seal in water bath canning.
The object behind pressure cooking is to get the temps up to 240 degrees F for the required amount of time to make sure all of the food in the jar has gotten to this temperature for the required amount of time to kill botulism causing bacteria.

Water boils at a lower temperature at higher elevations so you have to take this into account.
The pressure has to be higher to get to that given 240 degrees.
The pressure gauge if it has the temps on it too are set at sea level.
I really do think they need to put real temperature gauges on pressure canners.

And by all means take the rings off once they have cooled.

Worth