Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 28, 2015   #1
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Default tomato mill accessory for meat grinder?

We have a good meat grinder, a German made Krefft kompaktwolf r70, that rips through deer meat as fast as we can feed it. Rather than buy another yet another one-trick-pony, I'm trying find a tomato mill that is designed to fit on this grinder. Anyone have any idea where to look? Everything I see on web searches is in German.

We also have some less capable, smaller meat grinders that would surely give enough torque to crush tomatoes, but I can't think of the names right now. Royale, something like that? Regal? There are loud and driven with just a small slot key I believe. The Kreft has about a 5/8" hex drive.

I know there are a lot of stand alone tomato mills out there. I don't want to spend $300 and have to make room to store it somewhere, but I wouldn't mind spending $100 for a well made accessory to hook it up to our Kreft grinder. Between the Kreft and a Hobart slicer and a pressure canner, extra bread machine and crock pots, I'm really not looking for another stand-alone appliance.

I'd love to find something made for my grinder, even A grinder, but may end up with a victorio hand crank and some creative welding?

Thanks for any help.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Lets see if this works.
http://www.krefft.net/en/kuema.html
It seems that if you hit the English button none of the tabs work.

I also noticed the cutting knife isn't a square drive which is standard for almost every one that makes grinders.
At least this is what the picture looked like.
Can you take or show pictures of you machine and it's parts.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; August 28, 2015 at 11:29 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay I have looked till I am blue in the face and cant find anything in your price range.

Here is what I would do if I were you.
I would get a good tomato strainer that has a handle that goes into a hole in the strainer.

These handles are universal and fit many things like pasta makers.
Take that handle or an extra one that fits and cut the part off you need.

Weld this to square stock that fits a deep well socket that fits the male drive that comes out of the grinder.

Here is a drawing of the job, I could do it in no time at all with my TIG welder.
Then all you have to do is line the two machines up with each other, up, down, sideways and level.
Not hard at all.
If you didn't want to get picky about the alignment you could put a 1/2 drive universal joint between the square drive and the socket.

Worth

Tomato Mill Shaft 1.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; August 28, 2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old August 28, 2015   #4
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

My dog eats tomatoes, so it would be nice to find that this "wolf" can, too.

It's a really nice grinder, 2 fwd speeds, 2/3 hp. I don't know the typical tomato mill target rpm. This grinder says 230 U/min, and it looks like 4 per second so that sounds like u/min = rpm.

The output is a large hex, 0.947". A 15/16" 12 point socket fits very well, though I'd love to use a full hex. The worm itself has a female 1.000" hex.

I think I could take a mill like the victorio and couple a shaft in between them in a few hours of time, but it would require sizing and leveling a baseplate which would be a pain to wash, and take up space. Also, I don't know if a tomato mill needs a reverse. This grinder lacks reverse.

Hey Worth here is something else you might know, regarding the grind plate. 2.73" diam x .279" thickness is the size of the grind plate. Is that a standard size? I would like to get grind plate with just a few large holes for grinding panfish remains after filleting.

Pics flickr album
https://www.flickr.com/gp/67353060@N08/w1gBn2
Old August 28, 2015   #5
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a cross post while I was doing the pics, but I was thinking the same. Half inch drive to a socket.

I don't have a tig, just a cheap fcaw wire welder.

Would the victorio 250 work for this? It must have a removeable handle since it can be driven by a $60 60 watt chinese motor. I like the price at $50. I don't get around yard sales and flea markets much, or I probably would have found something decent by now.

What do you consider a good strainer for this?
Old August 28, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The grinder plate is a #12 and any 12 like that will fit it I am almost for sure.
The Knife has a strange drive I have only seen a few times.
Worth
Old August 28, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have never strained a tomato in my life.
But many people here have the victorio
Just make sure it has that stab in handle with the ears on it.
The RPM will be fine.

An option in the square drive to the handle would be to drill center and weld.
Any small machine shop should be able to do it for you.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; August 28, 2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old August 28, 2015   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I have a Back To Basics manual food mill. It is vertually identical to the Victorio hand crank model. 230 RPM would be way too fast. I find that a hand crank RPM of about 40 to 50 is possibly a bit on the quick side. The problem is in getting any thinner juice pockets. They will squirt out thru the small holes on the strainer and have the potential to wet you down. I know this because I've had some days when I have gone thru 3 or 4 shirts

I also would add that I get more of the pulp from the tomatoes when I slow the rpm down a bit and allow the mechanical press function of the worm screw to do its thing.

All that said, your design has given me some ideas. I have about a half dozen of the gear motors used by the old paint mixers to stir the tint. The little motors have a pretty good bit of torque, with an RPM of about 15.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Worth, I have a Back To Basics manual food mill. It is vertually identical to the Victorio hand crank model. 230 RPM would be way too fast. I find that a hand crank RPM of about 40 to 50 is possibly a bit on the quick side. The problem is in getting any thinner juice pockets. They will squirt out thru the small holes on the strainer and have the potential to wet you down. I know this because I've had some days when I have gone thru 3 or 4 shirts

I also would add that I get more of the pulp from the tomatoes when I slow the rpm down a bit and allow the mechanical press function of the worm screw to do its thing.

All that said, your design has given me some ideas. I have about a half dozen of the gear motors used by the old paint mixers to stir the tint. The little motors have a pretty good bit of torque, with an RPM of about 15.
It also goes at 180 RPM it is a two speed.

I think that is about the same speed as the big motorized ones.

Worth
Old August 29, 2015   #10
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I responded twice last night each time I went to preview post it gave me some error and blanked my post. I didn't try a third time. So, briefly:

60-100 rpm seems about top speed for vict250 when I try picture it. I assume the worm's twist is optimized for the RPM. I wonder what RPM that 60 watt chinese motor puts out>

The big electric mills might turn higher RPM with a different faster twist rate on the worm for more torque applied to the load. I don't see any reason this base unit could not be used but it would have to be matched up for proper overall speed. I do have some reservations about trying to turn a newer partly plastic victorio at 180 or 230 rpm...

There is a vegetable attachment for this kreft but it does not appear to be a strainer/mill from what I can tell. Which is a shame.

I'll probably get a new victorio and go from there - I may be okay with hand crank. I had a foley style that was a pain in the butt due to manually clearing the mash.

Thanks for the #12 id.
Old August 29, 2015   #11
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

From web search it looks like 180 would be way fast as Ted alluded...
Quote:
Don't know, but I would guess around 50+/-. Way better than doing it with the hand crank!! Worked on tomatoes, apples, and pumpkin quite well. Definitely worth the investment. We've had this motor for two years and well satisfied. p-j-s answered on November 26, 2014
Quote:
We've added the Motor (model VKP250-M) for the Victorio 250 Food Strainer. Details from the manufacturer:

The new electric drive motor makes using your Victorio Model 250 food strainer even easier.
Fits the Victorio Model 250 food strainers only.

Features:

Quick and easy installation and removal
Energy efficient and durable
High torque power combined with all metal gears provide years of reliable service
Low speed 57 RPM motor
Motor specifications: 120 VAC, 60Hz, 60 watts
57 rpm from the 60 watt motor.
Old August 29, 2015   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just hope the center whole on the meat cutting disk is the same.
From what I could see it was.
Mine is around 0.400 and the outside is about 2.745
None of them are exact, I have one that is just a little too big to fit and I am going to have to turn it down so it will fit dont know why it came out large but it did, made in Poland.
As for your cutter blade will a square drive fit?
You can sharpen them yourself.

My electric meat grinder is a 1 1/2 horse power #22 the thing can swallow a cow.
Weighs about 70 pounds.

The electric motor that you can get with the Vittorio will work fine.

You might find this place of interest I have purchased from them before and they have a ton of stuff.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...209RWw9qt1veng

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; August 29, 2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old August 29, 2015   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post

Ted and the rest I dont know if this handle would work or not on the tomato strainer but here is a link to buy one if you need one.
The ears are 0.100 thick.
They are around 0.390 wide from side to side.
And the shaft is 0.320 in diameter.
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/marcat...handle-p111489
If this fits they also sell a Pasta drive motor that could be retrofitted to fit too.
It is made in Italy.
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/marcat...e-motor-p18377

Worth
Old August 29, 2015   #14
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

.393 is the hole diameter on one of the grind plates I have.
Old August 29, 2015   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That should be fine as you already know.
I measured the only other #12 I have and it is 0.394
Mine is really a #10 but a #10 and #12 use the same plate.
Here is a link to all of the plates you can shake a stick at.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/grinding-plastes-s/1910.htm