Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 4, 2013   #16
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I have an electric OMRA Pro 1 HP that I have used for years...I process about 400 to 600 pounds of tomatoes and this does it for me lickety split! It says it can process 800 lbs per hour (like I can feed them in there that fast...) My hands are just to arthritic to use a hand crank. I realize that most people don't process as many as I do so this would be on the spendy side for smaller amounts. What I like best is that it is easy to assemble and disassemble for cleanup. You don't need a schematic to put it back together I am of the schematically challenged...
Old August 4, 2013   #17
Dak
Tomatovillian™

That's a lot of tomatoes, I'd want an electric one too at that point. (I have to admit I was glad my son was here when I put my Victorio together, w/o him it might have taken me a *bit* longer than it did) Roughly how many plants did you have going to be able to harvest 400 pounds?
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2013   #18
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
That's a lot of tomatoes, I'd want an electric one too at that point. (I have to admit I was glad my son was here when I put my Victorio together, w/o him it might have taken me a *bit* longer than it did) Roughly how many plants did you have going to be able to harvest 400 pounds?
I have about 800 paste/drying varieties with some going for drying and some for paste. Husband dries some also...He likes the blacks dried. I have narrowed down my grow list to the most productive that fit my criteria so we get a lot of tomatoes off of each plant. It is a sprint to get them all picked and used...In Wyoming, I had as many green to ripen indoors as I did vine ripened so the work was spread out a lot more. Bought a used bathtub (scrubbed it REALLY good) to soak the tomatoes in wine for drying.

For my sauce, I try to process enough for 2 five gallon buckets per day. That is all I can handle turning into sauce and cooking down at one time. Takes me about 2 weeks to get all processed, cook the puree down and then add all the other stuff to make my marinara sauce. The actual canning takes me about 2 days. The marinara, because of the meat, peppers, onions and mushrooms in it takes 90 minutes per batch in the pressure canner.

I don't can anything else. My Husband does relish and vegies and salsa and hot carrots. I only grow tomatoes and peppers. He grows everything else. He cans tuna that he catches also...I have no idea why as we go out on the boat and fish about every other day when we are not traveling. I have a 2 freezers full of fish!
Old August 5, 2013   #19
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Wow, 800 plants, that is awesome. Not to mention, a bathtub full of red wine, what an image. I bet the smell of marinara is pretty nice for that couple of weeks.
Old August 5, 2013   #20
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I still have my basic Back to basics I got several years ago. I crank and I crank and I crank. But since last several years garden has been horrible I have not cranked as much as I wanted
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2013   #21
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
Here's the video I watched to make sure I got it put together right. I bookmarked it since I know I'll need a refresher next year!

http://www.victorio.info/food-strainer-video.html
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2013   #22
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I may have to bookmark that too.
Old August 5, 2013   #23
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Here's the video I watched to make sure I got it put together right. I bookmarked it since I know I'll need a refresher next year!

http://www.victorio.info/food-strainer-video.html

Thanks so much for posting this video!! I just bought a Victorio 250 and haven't actually used it yet. I did try to put it together, and it was difficult to figure out for my non-technical brain!

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2013   #24
gnol
Tomatovillian™

Great piece of kit.
I have used mine for the last couple of seasons and it is very helpful.

gnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2013   #25
Crissyb
Tomatovillian™

Victoria Food Strainer, where have you been all my life?! I ordered one and it arrived this week, used it this afternoon after work to process a bunch of tomatoes. It goes so quick, I spent an entire day peeling and seeding tomatoes earlier this week, but no more! I did need to watch the video posted to help put together and then it went smoothly. Definitely worth the money I spent.
Crissyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013   #26
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Here's the whole kit with motor for $104.00

http://www.mendingshed.com/completefoodstrainer.html
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013   #27
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

That is a good deal!
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #28
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

Had a Villa Ware (i believe) for many years and liked it. I was going to replace it last year but it made it through the season. This year it just didnt cut the mustard anymore. The wife went north to Amish country to pick up a Victorio but came back with a Norpro Sauce Master 2. I have used it twice and it dosnt work any better than my old one, it is going back to the store. How does the Victorio 250 and the Norpro Sauce Master 2 compare to each other?

Paul R
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2013   #29
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Paul, I used the reviews from Amazon to decide. The Victorio has over 200 reviews, while the Norpro only 26, but overall, it seems to be the better machine for the money.

Now in an ideal world, I prefer the idea of everything being stainless steel, but those start around $199.
Old September 8, 2013   #30
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I'm with you on the ideal world thing.

Paul R
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote