Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 17, 2018   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
I've just discovered this thread and had a look at the link suggested above : https://rue89bordeaux.com/2014/08/ma...-belle-en-ete/

Let me remind everyone the Marmande tomato is perfectly round. it's well-known in the U.S. as it has been a standard for taste for a long time. The picture shows tomatoes with unusual shapes but doesn't give the slightest indication about their origin.

If Hudson Valley is really keen on knowing the variety I can try to get in touch with the organizers of the Marmande fair, they may have the answer. I must say I like challenges : a US tourist visiting the château of Versailles fell in love with a tomato growing in the Queen's garden. I managed to get in touch with the head gardener and could send the Tvilian the name of the variety and some seeds.
Of course I'll always be glad to go on sending seeds to the US whenever need arises. I'm aware I'll never reach the level of Marsha who is second to none.
Let's say that one version of Marmande is round as you say and I linked to Tania's page showing there were several versions of Marmande, I think 7.

It was another person who used to post here, can't think of his name now who was heavily involved in working out the genetics of a blue gene,or whatever it was, who was going to that Fair and I asked him to see if he could find Norbert there since Norbert had moved in the mean time and I had no way to contact him..

And yes Loulac, we know each other very well, as you already know.Are you still interacting with Ibsen in CA?

Just curious,but what level is Marsha at and I ask since you mentioned she is second to none.

Carolyn
Old November 18, 2018   #17
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Let's say that one version of Marmande is round as you say and I linked to Tania's page showing there were several versions of Marmande
I agree. Scientists have worked on the tomato to “improve” its shelf life and its resistance to packing and travelling. I’ll just say that kokopelli, the French reference of organic seeds, only sells the original variety.
Quote:
It was another person who used to post here, can't think of his name now who was heavily involved in working out the genetics of a blue gene…
I think you are alluding to Ambiorix, a Belgian botanist. He hasn’t posted on Tomodori, a little brother of Tomatoville, for a long time and as far as I know Norbert has never posted on the site. I doubt he could bring anything new as everything must have been said on that tomato.
Quote:
Are you still interacting with Ibsen in CA?
I remember there’s a bone of contention between Ibsen and you and I absolutely refuse to play a part in it. I’ll just say I never blacklisted him. I buy my seeds in several places in the US. I’m disappointed that I’m unable to buy seeds from a well-known producer who refuses to trade outside the US.
Quote:
what level is Marsha at and I ask since you mentioned she is second to none
I can’t say I know everyone posting on Tomatoville but I firmly state I have never met such a helpful, generous member. She can only be number one for me. Of course I have a thought for the kind people who send her extra stamps, thanks to them Marsha has a global reach.

Picture : Marmande tomatoes, Kokopelli
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marmande.jpg (16.7 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by loulac; November 18, 2018 at 09:23 AM.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(I can’t say I know everyone posting on Tomatoville but I firmly state I have never met such a helpful, generous member. She can only be number one for me. Of course I have a thought for the kind people who send her extra stamps, thanks to them Marsha has a global reach.)

No need to know everyone here at Tville, but there are many here at Tville who have had and still do have a global reach.

Have you ever looked at the seed offers posted in the trade subforum to see that?

Many here have a global reach,not just Marsha.

Here are some I can list just briefly

Charleen in France
Ilex in Spain
Nicolas in Spain
Swordy in Greece
Andrey in Belarus
Marina in Russia
Vladimir in the Czech Republic
Clara in Germany
Tude in Romania
Reinhard in Germany

and many many more

as for kokopelli

http://www.kokopelli-seeds.com/

Yes, I know all about why they took over from that other company, semence was part of their title, I bought seeds from them as well.

This may surprise you but I'm glad you are back posting at Tville.

Carolyn
Old November 19, 2018   #19
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
there are many here at Tville who have had and still do have a global reach.

You have been at pains to show that Marsha was not as important as I think. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear she sends more seeds to us in one day of her seed sending activity than all the highly respectable growers you mention in one year! I stick to my opinion, and as experience has shown me in the past that you stick to yours when I give sound arguments I think I’ll bring an end to this topic before it becomes boring to everybody.

Quote:
This may surprise you but I'm glad you are back posting at Tville.

Why should I be surprised? let me explain why I’m less active on Tville. The weight of years limits my activities and as gardening is only a pastime it’s not in the number one position. I keep reading the mails announcing new posts in my subscribed threads and only check new posts from time to time. After all Franklin D. Roosevelt was serving his first term in the White House when I was born…
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2018   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(You have been at pains to show that Marsha was not as important as I think. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear she sends more seeds to us in one day of her seed sending activity than all the highly respectable growers you mention in one year! I stick to my opinion, and as experience has shown me in the past that you stick to yours when I give sound arguments I think I’ll bring an end to this topic before it becomes boring to everybody.)

Not quite yet Loulac as to boring, not boring to me at least. How did you and Marsha first make contact? Were you reading just her seed offers and none of the many others who did and still do make seed offers here?

You have been a member here since 2013 and I've never seen you at the bottom of the page where all registered members in a 24 hr period have been here.Not until a couple of days ago.

Oh heck, I'm not going to continue with this other than to say I think I still have the e-mail where you apologized to me about your version of how Huevos de Toro got to be called Couilles de Taureu. Tania doesn't have it right either since she still refers to Angelo Dornay at her website as making the change.

Here are two names who had helped on that tissue that you might recognize.

Terry Tassonne, now married to the person she always called Seb( short for Sebastion), lives in France but also lists here at Tville. Her website is called Secret Seed Cartel.Terry used to go to France every year to find new varieties and when she came back she'd send me wonderful French Chocolates, and those excellent macaroons, and something else she just called Yellow Cake.

Conchi, I was told she was very ill a few years ago , so I don't know if she is still alive.

Peace,

Carolyn
Old November 19, 2018   #21
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

. Thank you for taking the part of my friend Marsha Loulac.
Many on This forum have benefitted from Marsha’s great generosity, myself included and all who know her appreciate all she does.
I’ll say hello to her for you.
I’ll also be sure to say hello to her from you as well Carolyn.
Have a nice day.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2018   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
. Thank you for taking the part of my friend Marsha Loulac.
Many on This forum have benefitted from Marsha’s great generosity, myself included and all who know her appreciate all she does.
I’ll say hello to her for you.
I’ll also be sure to say hello to her from you as well Carolyn.
Have a nice day.
KarenO
Loulac already said he knows Marsha, go back and read what he said.

Karen,no need at all for you to say hello to Marsha for me,she already knows me very well and that b/c she was a member here before you were as I recall,without confirming that,just by my memory/.

And how have I helped her?

She has always posted what she is going to grow in the next season and always says if anyone sees any mistakes in spelling or variety traits to please let her know about it.

And I have done that, but NOT publicly , but by PM.

Just ask her about that yourself. The one time both Marsha and I laughed since there was one BIG mistake and I asked her where she got that info,maybe it was Casady's Folly, I can't be sure without checking my past PM's and she said she had it on her computer,I asked her how she got that info and she said she couldn't remember.

This was way before you were making crosses and she was growing those crosses out for you.

Carolyn,where the snow continues to fall.