Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 8, 2016   #136
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I thought that was the case, but with all the tomatoes you're growing you probably don't want t have to the store and get cilantro. Up here its rare my cilantro comes in when the tomatoes have their main harvest.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2016   #137
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I thought that was the case, but with all the tomatoes you're growing you probably don't want t have to the store and get cilantro. Up here its rare my cilantro comes in when the tomatoes have their main harvest.

- Lisa
More of an experiment than anything it will be long gone before I get a ripe tomato.
I have never grown it in my life but I would like to see what fresh coriander was like.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #138
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
More of an experiment than anything it will be long gone before I get a ripe tomato.
I have never grown it in my life but I would like to see what fresh coriander was like.
You can direct sow cilantro/coriander right now. They will come up on their own term when conditions are right.
The same goes for scallions and basil. My brother sows all of them mixed in one bed. And some radish too. They grow like weed.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #139
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

This thread brought up the 'crunchiness' aspect of some lettuce versus others. Something I hadn't thought about since I haven't grown it much, but I do enjoy lettuce that has a little more crunch as it's easier to chew. So today when I bought seeds I looked for one that fit the bill, Merveille des Quatre Saisons was one of the varieties offered so I went with that. I've seen it offered on seed racks in the stores but this will be my first time trying it. It's a nice looking plant, hopefully it'll taste just as good.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #140
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Any lettuce can be crunchy all you have to do is leave a little sand in it.

Worth
Old January 9, 2016   #141
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Any lettuce can be crunchy all you have to do is leave a little sand in it.

Worth
Hmmm, well, I think I'd prefer to just buy the crunchy kind. "Waiter, please bring me a salad, with the crunchy kind of lettuce, and NOT, I repeat NOT with sand in it."
Old January 9, 2016   #142
True Timbers
Tomatovillian™

Cool.. Never had that one, see Baker creek has it. It is a butter.... So soft not so crunchy, best I can tell. (Personally, I love butters)
But if you want full crunch... Seek Batvians! Batvians are also the secret to warm season lettuce..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
This thread brought up the 'crunchiness' aspect of some lettuce versus others. Something I hadn't thought about since I haven't grown it much, but I do enjoy lettuce that has a little more crunch as it's easier to chew. So today when I bought seeds I looked for one that fit the bill, Merveille des Quatre Saisons was one of the varieties offered so I went with that. I've seen it offered on seed racks in the stores but this will be my first time trying it. It's a nice looking plant, hopefully it'll taste just as good.
True Timbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #143
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Merveille des Quatre Saisons is one the Old Victory Garden Show always planted and I still grow it. It is pretty and does well here in Wyoming where we go from winter to summer. It is tasty too and not bitter.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #144
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

First attested in English late fourteenth century, the word coriander derives from the Old French: coriandre, which comes from Latin: coriandrum in turn from Ancient Greek: κορίαννον koriannon.
Cilantro
is the Spanish word for coriander, also deriving from coriandrum. It is the common term in North American English for coriander leaves, due to their extensive use in Mexican cuisine.
Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #145
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My mom had a patch of coriander/cilantro that went to seed very late in the year. I cut them at the last minute and did get some ripe seeds but also had some normal sized seeds that just dried greenish instead of brown... so I ground some of the green ones to make samosa filling... and the taste was pretty darn amazing.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #146
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
My mom had a patch of coriander/cilantro that went to seed very late in the year. I cut them at the last minute and did get some ripe seeds but also had some normal sized seeds that just dried greenish instead of brown... so I ground some of the green ones to make samosa filling... and the taste was pretty darn amazing.
Yeah. Coriander make a good spice on meat, chicken, fish, soup ... just about anywhere that black pepper is used. You can mix them with pepper corn in your pepper mill.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #147
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Timbers View Post
Cool.. Never had that one, see Baker creek has it. It is a butter.... So soft not so crunchy, best I can tell. (Personally, I love butters)
But if you want full crunch... Seek Batvians! Batvians are also the secret to warm season lettuce..
Thanks for the tip, True Timbers.
Old January 10, 2016   #148
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
Merveille des Quatre Saisons is one the Old Victory Garden Show always planted and I still grow it. It is pretty and does well here in Wyoming where we go from winter to summer. It is tasty too and not bitter.
Barb
Good to know, Barb. Was going to buy another one that is great tasting but by the description it didn't seem like what I wanted. I'm very particular about my lettuce as you can see.
Old January 10, 2016   #149
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Good to know, Barb. Was going to buy another one that is great tasting but by the description it didn't seem like what I wanted. I'm very particular about my lettuce as you can see.
Do you like Romaine it is crunchy?
Worth
Old January 10, 2016   #150
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Do you like Romaine it is crunchy?
Worth
I don't mind eating romaine lettuce. When I transplanted seedlings for my indoor garden I sprinkled about 100 seeds of Giant Caesar which is a romaine type and one germinated about a month and a half later. Haven't tasted it yet but had another variety of romaine that was halfway decent but not very crisp or crunchy. Don't recall the name of that one.