Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old May 19, 2009   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default All my tomatoes are in the ground

... now comes the hard part - waiting!

I decided to try those plastic Automator trays this year, since all the studies say that toms like red plastic. Of course, my friend Janet, who has a three-year-old, says they look like "Tomato potties." We'll see how they work out.

Everything seems to be growing fine. So my final list is (one plant of each):

Sunray
Church
Sungold
Cherokee Green
Cheorkee Chocolate
Greater Baltimore
Hungarian Heart
Lemon Boy
Stupice
Hopkins
Black Krim
Chesapeake
Polish Dwarf (in a pot)

I inadvertantly gave away all my Kimberlys (Kimberlies?), but folks have brought them to MAGTAG before. I'm most curious and excited about the Mid-Atlantic collection (Sunray, Greater Baltimore, Chesapeake, and Hopkins), although Scarab and Delmar were duds.

A pair of catbirds have been keeping busy surveying their territory from my tomato pens, hopping down every now and then to snag a bug or two from the veggie patch.

So how are everybody else's tomatoes coming along?

P.S. They sprung my Dad from the nursing home last week, and he's looking forward to some fresh tomatoes from me in a month or so (I hope!). And I had my last chemo treatment on Thursday, so at least that's over with.
Old May 19, 2009   #2
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Congradulations on last chemo treatment! I have been thinking baout how you were doing. Hopfully it was not horrible? Glad you have your maters in the ground.
Kat
Old May 19, 2009   #3
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecilia,

Glad to hear about an end to treatment and the beginning of tomatoes!

I just got mine in the ground over the last 3 days and I still have some more to plant. It's a bit late for me but if I stave off the deer I will be ahead! They topped my plants last year.

It's great that you have so many new variaties. This could prove interesting. New ones I will bring include:

Persimmon (it made a showing before 3 years back)
Odoriko (or something like that:-)
Berkley Tye Dye Pink
A cross that is supposed to be Yellow Cookie and Cherokee Green. I have a bunch of F2s. We will see if I get a Green Heart!
Isabel Pink (another cross that is from the Prue and Marianna's Peace set). It is a light pink plum.
The Hybrid F1 of White Current and Cherokee Green (if it really took!)

Can't wait to eat some!

Greg
Old May 21, 2009   #4
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you finished your chemo treatments. Now let's garden and grow lots of veggies especially tomatoes.

have a good harvest,

neva
Old May 21, 2009   #5
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Cecilia:

I too have been wondering how you have been...glad the end is near for treatment.

I just got my tomatoes in on Monday...and peppers yesterday. Going to use straw this year for mulch...so I have to track some down.

In my small garden...I have the following

Sweet 100
Delicious
Rhoades BiColor
Black from Tula (tom trees seed)
Hugh's Yellow
Earl's Faux
Siberian (this is probably not true...it is potato leaf)
Sioux
Anas Noir
Arkansas Traveler
Old May 21, 2009   #6
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Adenn1:
I am growing Delicious for the first time this year. Do you have previous experience with it and if so, what was the production, taste, etc.
Thanks
Chris
Old May 21, 2009   #7
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Hi Cecelia! My Scarabs & DelMars are runty stunted looking little things (put I'm babying them along in the "special needs" garden). Chesapeakes are among the biggest most robust of the bunch. Hopkins are just pretty bright green little weeds. Glad to hear you have completed your chemotherapy & can now concentrate on mater therapy!
Old May 22, 2009   #8
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Chris:

Sorry...this is my first time growing Delicious too. I think I got the seeds as a bonus when I purchased some other seeds. I hope it turns out to be a winner!