Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 23, 2012   #1
barryla61
Tomatovillian™

Default Which of these Pinks?

Only have room for so many. I have seeds for the following so which of these would you reccomend for growing in hot humid central VA?

HOY
GERMAN QUEEN
COWLICK BRANDYWINE
PONDEROSA
BARLOW JAP
barryla61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2012   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I've grown 3 of the ones on your list and even though my Cowlicks got TSWV it still produced nearly 30 fruit. I gave a Cowlicks plant to a friend who set it out and it was one of his top producers.

Barlow Jap made a huge plant but dropped most of its' blooms during the high heat so I only got about 5 or 6 tomatoes. They were fairly good sized and very tasty. It might do fine in Virginia which seems almost up north to me.

Hoy suffered and never produced any usable fruit for me last year.

I know for a fact that Cowlicks can handle the high heat and humidity; so if you can only grow one it might be your best bet. I'm not familiar with the others.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Cowlick's followed by Barlow Jap. Ami
Old February 24, 2012   #4
JoeP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Cowlick's followed by Barlow Jap. Ami
Does anyone know of a seed source for Barlow Jap. I have looked on Tatiana's site and nothing is listed.
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #5
bluebonnets
Tomatovillian™

Blue Ribbon Tomatoes on Ebay.
bluebonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I've grown three on your list as well, and the only one that I'd go for is Hoy if you're limited just to the ones you listed. I don't see Ponderosa as being anything special and have also grown German Queen, and while a beautiful plant I don't see the taste as being as good as many others. But then I can only speak to what I prefer and taste is personal and perceptual, as we all know, I think.
Old February 25, 2012   #7
camochef
Tomatovillian™

I've grown 4 of the 5 you listed and although I'm a Brandywine lover, (and Brandywine crosses), I would be hard pressed to pick between Cowlick Brandywine and Barlow Jap.
Both are excellent tomatoes, both produce well most years. and have decent disease tolerance. The first year I grew Cowlicks Brandywine it was the most productive tomato I ever saw. Hundreds of large pink tasty fruits which is what caused me to take notice of it and send seeds to other tomato growing friends.
The past few years it's been more on par with Barlow Jap and Liz Birt and has fallen behind the other Brandywines. Brandywine-Glicks has become the one to beat here lately.
Not to cloud the issue, but last year, my #1 tomato was Purple Dog Creek. But that changes every year.
Good Luck with whatever you decide to go with.
Enjoy
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote