Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 11, 2011   #1
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default BT worm killer

I am sorry if a similar topic was started before but I have some major worm problems with my corns. Last year I used BT worm killer on cucumber plants and it worked very well for me.
My first question is: Does BT worm killer work on corns as well?
Second question: I couldn't find an expiration date on the container and I bought it last October. Is the BT worm killer still good or should I buy a new one (also I am not sure what the maximum temperature is that is still good for the bacteria)?
Third question: I was out of town for a few days and when I came back I found out that my corns were highly damaged; however they are still forming ears. I found some worms hiding and feeding underneath some of the forming ears. I killed them however I am not sure if they eat the corn stems on the inside. Should I give up my corns or keep growing them?
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011   #2
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

My dad would be putting mineral oil in the silks early when the small moths or millers as I remember, lay their eggs. The oil is supposed to coat the silks and stop the egg or worm or whatever and yes they will eat down to the rows of kernals and ruin your beautiful sweet corns. How long does bt take to halt a corn worm?

They put expiration dates on there for a reason. Don't risk your corns with non-effective pesticides.
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
I am sorry if a similar topic was started before but I have some major worm problems with my corns. Last year I used BT worm killer on cucumber plants and it worked very well for me.
My first question is: Does BT worm killer work on corns as well?
Second question: I couldn't find an expiration date on the container and I bought it last October. Is the BT worm killer still good or should I buy a new one (also I am not sure what the maximum temperature is that is still good for the bacteria)?
Third question: I was out of town for a few days and when I came back I found out that my corns were highly damaged; however they are still forming ears. I found some worms hiding and feeding underneath some of the forming ears. I killed them however I am not sure if they eat the corn stems on the inside. Should I give up my corns or keep growing them?
1st bt kills caterpillars not worms. i think your problem is the corn borer? it is a caterpillar and bt will kill it. bt will kill any caterpillar including butterfly cats so use it carefully around milkweed or other butterfly host plants.

is your bt a concentrated liquid? mine is and i have been using it since around 1994 or 1995. as long as you store it in a cool dry location i think it lasts indefinitely. if you kept it in a garage where temps can get to 100, i see you're in flordia, then maybe it has deteriorated. my bt does not have a expiration date on it.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2011   #4
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

BT takes almost no time to kill the caterpillars, however it will not get them if they are already inside the husk...
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2011   #5
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for replying. I resolved the problem with my corn by spraying Safer brand BT on them but I must say the caterpillars that hide behind the ears are very frustrating. Not like hand-picking them from the tomato leaves...
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2011   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

On corn, it's really a preventative operation.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote