Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 26, 2010   #1
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Default A possible new treatment for fungus on tomato plants

I was at a medical conference this past weekend. There is a product made from grapefruit seeds that is being used to treat fungus affecting the skin. Originally it was developed to treat fungi affecting fish hatcheries. It is non toxic.

I ran the idea of testing this on tomato plants affected by fungi. The owner was quite receptive to the idea. Who can I refer him to who can help test this product on tomato plants?
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2010   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Elliot, could you get the name of the product and what are it's ingredients. Ami
Old January 26, 2010   #3
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

http://www.pureliquidgold.com/

I used it for a couple of years on my garden and with my control plants ... could not see any difference... it didn't hurt anything.. my purpose in its use was for tomato seedlings.. I did not try it on transplanted seedlings.
Its been around for awhile called GSE.
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2010   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I did a little research on GSE and tests conducted showed that GSE alone showed no antifungal properties. It was the preservatives added to it, Benzethonium chloride in most cases which was responsible for the antimicrobial activity. Ami
Old January 26, 2010   #5
salix
Tomatovillian™

... what Tuk and Ami said.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2010   #6
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

The product which is used medically is called Onychol. Its for skin fungi. Its made from ground up grapefruit seeds (which do not get mouldy). The way it would be applied would be to actually spray the plants with it rather than have it absorbed. It was originally invented to treat fungi in fish hatcheries where they needed a non toxic product. It worked and has since been modified for the medical market.

I spoke with the ceo of the company last weekend. He is interested in doing some research on his product (its not GSE) to see if it would help us gardeners. Other than for myself I don't know who to recommend. He would prepare a special form of it for gardeners to test.
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2010   #7
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
The product which is used medically is called Onychol. Its for skin fungi. Its made from ground up grapefruit seeds (which do not get mouldy). The way it would be applied would be to actually spray the plants with it rather than have it absorbed. It was originally invented to treat fungi in fish hatcheries where they needed a non toxic product. It worked and has since been modified for the medical market.

I spoke with the ceo of the company last weekend. He is interested in doing some research on his product (its not GSE) to see if it would help us gardeners. Other than for myself I don't know who to recommend. He
would prepare a special form of it for gardeners to test.
I'm always open to new ideas and would be glad to test for the gentleman on a controlled batch. Should be interesting in the GA heat and humidity. If interested send a PM for my address.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2010   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Elliot, will he supply it cost free for the research project? If it does work it will benefit him in the long run. And if thats the case I'm sure you can find some folks to give it a test. Ami
Old January 27, 2010   #9
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

I've tried everything from Eagle Poop .... to Aspirin on my veggies.. and am open to try (almost) anything... LOL..
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote