Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 8, 2007   #1
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Greenhouse questions/setup (mdvpc)

Michael, I would love to know more about your greenhouse and various ways you use it. I am particularly interested in uses for a fall crop/growing dwarves in it as you do. I'm sure others would like to know more as well.

Here goes:

What are the dimensions of your greenhouse (LxWxH)?

Brand, style? Or was this some sort of custom assembly?

What type of racks/shelves are you using?

Watering -- looks like you're using a drip system. What system, does it work well?

Do you ever need to heat it for fall crop? If so, how?

Area prep/setup -- what did you do to level/prepare the ground before the pavers were put down?

Regrets, changes -- If you had it all to do over again, what would you do differently and why?

Pictures -- I've seen several shots of your plants in the greenhouse, but would love to see some pictures of the entire greenhouse (when you get a chance) so that I could get a better perspective on the layout and siting.

Anything else you care to add would be welcome.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2007   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Suze and John-My greenhouse is from Texas Greenhouses.

http://www.texasgreenhouse.com/

Its 8 x 10 and about 6-7 feet wide. There is a photo of the model I have below-I bought mine about 8 years ago.

The company brings it out with a crew and assembles it in about a day-the crew that did mine was good. You need to have the foundation for them already.

One thing you should do is check and see if you need a building permit to put one up-it depends on your location.

The racks/shelving come with the unit and they are very sturdy-they are steel- In the photo, you can see the exact ones I have.

I had the drip system installed and ready when the crew came-to me its the only way to go.

For me, I had the evaporative cooler taken out and a refrigerated unit put in-the a/c comes on intermittantly from September to probably middle of October here, then the heat is on from October to about March or so. Then the a/c back on till I empty the greenhouse out in April. Because of the heat here, I dont use it from April till September.

One thing that needs to be done is it needs to be disinfected once a year. I do it just before I plant in September. You also need to make sure that you put it where it will get maximum exposure to sun.

I had a contractor talk with the greenhouse folks and they got it straight how to prepare the land-wasnt much to it.

Regrets? Yeah, its not big enough! Seriously, I got the painted version, and wouldnt do that again. In the humidity, the paint flakes off and is a pain-even repainting it is not that satisfactory.

I have had 3 types of flooring-pea gravel, concrete and now brick. I would stick with the pea gravel if I did it again.

Of course, venting is super important, and this model comes with appropriate venting fan, windows to open, etc.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please feel free to ask more, and I would welcome others posting in this thread their experiences.

Old January 13, 2007   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Michael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc
Its 8 x 10 and about 6-7 feet wide. There is a photo of the model I have below-I bought mine about 8 years ago.
That's actually about the size I want. I think. Don't want to get too carried away, gotta rest a little sometime.

I'm also considering an attached/lean to style on the south side of the house.

Quote:
For me, I had the evaporative cooler taken out and a refrigerated unit put in-the a/c comes on intermittantly from September to probably middle of October here, then the heat is on from October to about March or so. Then the a/c back on till I empty the greenhouse out in April. Because of the heat here, I dont use it from April till September.
What made the refrigerated unit preferable to you? Also, what kind/brand of unit?

Same with the heater. What kind/brand of unit?

Appreciate the tip on the paint. I'll pass on it, then.

Quote:
I have had 3 types of flooring-pea gravel, concrete and now brick. I would stick with the pea gravel if I did it again.
Why? Because you can stick cages down into it, or another reason?

Quote:
Of course, venting is super important, and this model comes with appropriate venting fan, windows to open, etc.
Auto vents?

Suze
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2007   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Suze-I considered an attached greenhouse, attached to the house, but I was worried about getting those little black bugs in the house-my wife would go ballistic if that happend.

The evap cooler just would not keep it cool because its all glass and even in october, november, feb, march it gets very hot in there, even with a shade cloth. I had an ac guy figure out what kind of window refrigerated unit would fit and he did it. The heater comes with the greenhouse, as does the automatic vents.

I think the pea gravel is preferable because it drains off the water on the floor better.

Last time I was at Texas Greenhouses, they had a couple of units set up-you may want to drive down and look at them. There are near Fort Worth. You should also check out other companies, but since you are in Texas, it might be more cost-effective to buy from them. Up to you.
Old January 25, 2007   #5
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Suze, here's my Rion with shade cloth which came from Rion. It's simple to attach using a step ladder.

Click for Larger Size
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2007   #6
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Earl what size is your greenhouse? I have looked at the Rion's. I mainly want one now to move my plants to before I put them in the garden and also to extend the season a little on the end with a few in large tubs. Thanks Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2007   #7
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Jay, it's 8x12 and can be extended. Here's a look inside.

Old March 14, 2007   #8
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Off topic here, but EARL, what is all that green stuff in your yard.... GRASS??? Shouldn't that be planted in TOMATOES???!!!!
Old March 14, 2007   #9
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I notice price isn't being mentioned. Not the kind of thing that can be done on a shoestring. The only way I could justify a greenhouse would be if I were going to sell lots of seedlings.

I may try to box in my 4' x 8' bed so I can grow peppers over the "winter". I would need to figure out how to heat it for those 10-20 days a year that are 30-40 (this year we had 2 months like that). I don't think a space heater would do it.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2007   #10
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Feldon said, "......figure out how to heat it for those 10-20 days a year that are 30-40 (this year we had 2 months like that)....."

Since March first I've been using a propane heater on low, 5000 btu setting and at night it keeps the 8 by 12 temp up by from 25 to 35 degrees, according to weather, wind, etc. I also use an electric heater as backup, set on 55 [lowest it will go] incase the gas runs out.