Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 1, 2018   #1
uno
Tomatovillian™

Default Jimmy Nardello peppers that are NOT hot

I grew Jimmy Nardello peppers for the first time in 2018.

They were beautiful and did great. I loved everything about them except they were so hot no one could eat them and I had a hard time even giving them away.

They were so hot that my finger tips burned (around the fingernail bed) for days after cutting them up.

I got my seeds from Tomato Growers. I really TGS I have ordered from them for decades but this pepper was anything but sweet!

Just wanted to see if someone could recommend a seed source for Jimmy Nardello peppers that would for sure NOT be hot?

I would love to grow them next season I just want them to be sweet.

Thanks

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jimmy nardellos 2018.jpg (371.0 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg jimmy nardello 1.jpg (355.5 KB, 259 views)
uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2018   #2
mannalon
Tomatovillian™

try bakercreek
mannalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2018   #3
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

something got mixed up somewhere.

the real jimmy nardello pepper is a mild sweet pepper. not a hint of heat to be found.
i have grown it several years now. my seeds may have come from sandhill preservation.
try contacting TGS. new owners may offer a replacement to keep your business. don't know till you go.
jimmy nardello is long, skinny, and wrinkled. the pepper in your picture looks more conical, and wider at the top.

keith

Last edited by rxkeith; December 1, 2018 at 01:50 PM.
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2018   #4
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

I grew 4 Jimmy nardello plants from the mmm. 2 of them gave hot peppers, 2 sweet peppers.
I am afraid that peppers cross easily and that is always possible a cross happened with a neighboring hot pepper plant.
I would assume a commercial source would have good seeds. Baker creek has them and so far I've had no problems with their seeds. They were always true to type.
I had the same problem this year with my sh*sh*to. That plant gave loads and loads of hot peppers. Good news when you love hot peppers but I don't.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2018   #5
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Peppers do easily cross. Those of us who save seed from tomatoes (which don't regularly cross pollinate) sometimes forget that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann123 View Post
I grew 4 Jimmy nardello plants from the mmm. 2 of them gave hot peppers, 2 sweet peppers.
I am afraid that peppers cross easily and that is always possible a cross happened with a neighboring hot pepper plant.
I would assume a commercial source would have good seeds. Baker creek has them and so far I've had no problems with their seeds. They were always true to type.
I had the same problem this year with my sh*sh*to. That plant gave loads and loads of hot peppers. Good news when you love hot peppers but I don't.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2018   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yes it's true - bumblebees fall savagely upon any flowering pepper plant that gets set outdoors.

Tradewinds Fruit have Jimmy Nardello - I found them to be reliable in the past with a good seed count and all their seeds were very fresh and viable, for very reasonable price.

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/sweet-peppers/
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2018   #7
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Reimer seeds. Zero heat, delicious and productive.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2018   #8
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Hot Jimmy Nardello sounds like a pepper worth growing!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2018   #9
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

They look more like Joe E. Parker Numex rather than Jimmy Nardellos. The Parker has about 1/2 the heat of a jalapeno, mildly hot but not scorching.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2018   #10
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Seed Savers Exchange has them also, never had trouble with their seeds.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2018   #11
uno
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mannalon, Keith, Ann123, Fred Hempel, Bower, Nematoad, Pcmgrady, Rhines81, and Zeedman.

I like Tomato Growers and have had good results from them for decades. I just wanted to post where I got the seeds from so I would not get suggestions to try them!

I ordered from Baker Creek a while back and I thought they were great and they had a really nice catalog.

I posted the photos because I'm new to growing some of these peppers and I wanted to see if they looked like they were Jimmy Nardello's.

I would like to give them a shot next season hopefully I can get some seeds that grow sweet peppers instead of insanely hot like these ones were.

Thanks

Jim
Old December 4, 2018   #12
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Here are my Aquaponic JD's they were sweet.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2018   #13
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I would try Seed Savers Exchange. I ordered them from Baker Creek last year, and they were a little off somehow. They weren't as sweet as I remember Jimmy Nardello's being raw, and they were a little bigger. Luckily they were sweet when cooked. I'm still going to make my usual order from Baker Creek, but I'm going to purchase the Nardello's from Seed Savers Exchange.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2020   #14
uno
Tomatovillian™

Just thought I would give an update.

Thanks Zeedman and Roper2008 for the Seed savers Exchange recommendation!

I ordered from Seed Savers and the Jimmy Nardello's were completely sweet no heat at all. So now I know what people are talking about with this variety. I also ordered a bunch of other flowers and vegetable seeds from Seed Savers and they were all great. The germinated well and I was very happy with my order.

I did tell TGS about the Jimmy Nardello's being extremely hot. They just told me that 5 of "their best customers" tried them and said they were ok and that they would get back to me and they never did. I thought their response was kind of rude.

After growing the Jimmy Nardello's from Seed Savers there is no way that these are the same pepper.

I had been ordering from TGS since the 1990's and recommended them to many people. I understand that they changed hands so maybe that explains things.

Jim
Old March 20, 2020   #15
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

I got my Jimmy Nards sweet seeds last year for just .99 cents a pack for 15 seeds got 2 packs of them so I have enough left for this season. Got them online from migardener.com Order them now before they sell out for the 2020 season.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote