Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 12, 2011   #16
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Elizabeth - There are tens of thousands of species of nematodes worldwide, most of them harmless, and only a few do agricultural damage. They are a really serious problem in places like Africa - and they could become a major economic problem here as well since methyl bromide fumigant was banned - unless economically viable organic solutuons are found quickly. They're working on it.

Your extension agent will know just what species you have locally. You may have a different species than we do (Meloidogyne incognita and, to a lesser extent M. javanica). But I'm quite sure that the control measures we are discussing here - organic matter and clean fallow - will work as well on one as another.

Just a word from an old-time nematode warrior - don't put too much stock in things like marigolds, brassicas, elbon rye, sweet corn as a trap crop, etc. Those things have always led only to disappointment for me and my neighbors.

It works far better to starve them and dry them out with clean fallow and tillage than to plant cover crops. I would buy commercial compost that has been properly heated and processed and pour it to your garden. It took seven dump truck loads to get a handle on the RKN that infested my wife's 800 sq ft flower garden.

Nematodes cannot function in a compost-rich environment - that's all you need to do - change your growing medium from sand/dirt to compost, dry it out real good in the sun every couple of years and add more compost as necessary. Landscaping suppliers have good compost and they'll deliver and spread it as well. Don't scrimp - better too much than too little. The best home gardens around here, including my wife's, are pretty much pure compost.

Jack

One additional note - Elizabeth, The live fungus product from Certus USA, which they call "Melo-Con", does not have a short shelf life but it must be kept frozen until it's applied. It is currently available only from commercial suppliers in large quantities, but I see no reason, if it proves as effective as advertised, that it can't be stocked in retail stores - as long as it's kept in a freezer.
It comes from tropical Africa and turns the ground purple as it devours nematodes - I can see the movie title now -ATTACK OF THE FUNGUS FROM HELL. lol

Last edited by JackE; August 12, 2011 at 03:51 PM.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011   #17
JackE
Tomatovillian™

A couple more thoughts and reflections -

I would be very surprised if they came in your transplants. I don't think nematodes would be in the kinds of mediums they use - not their sort of habitat. It also takes a very long time for them to spread. Someone said above that they travel several feet in a year, but I think it's actually more like a few inches. They aren't very mobile at all and, as I learned from Dr Carolyn long ago on another forum, that's why they just can't survive in organic matter. Chances are that your first breeding stock appeared in your garden several years ago and went unnoticed until now.

I'm actually more than a little surprised that you have them at all. I was in San Diego in the service (55 yrs ago lol), and it didn't seem like a climate that would warm your soil enough for them to reproduce, at least not in sufficient numbers to be such a problem. Our local nems are dormant in soil temps below 70 and don't really reach problem levels until 80 degrees at a depth of 4". We successfully plant early spring crops, like spinach which harvests in May, in heavily infested soil without damage. And we can even get away with very early tomato varieties (some years). It's much hotter here in May than August in San Diego.

With your cooler summer temps, it seems pretty unlikely to me - but they are constantly evolving to changing conditions and you may also have a different race of RKN that is adapted to your area. Talk to your extension agent - I would be interested to hear about what he/she says.

Jack

EGAD! A long-buried, painful memory just came back - While stationed in San Diego in 1956, three other sailors and I spent a night in the Tijuana jail for drunkeness. I spoke fluent spanish and talked them into releasing us at 6:00 so we could make morning muster at 7:00.

Last edited by JackE; August 12, 2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: N
Old August 15, 2011   #18
JackE
Tomatovillian™

With raised beds, that can be easily covered with plastic, you probably could safely fumigate the soil - if you can get the stuff. Vapam is still legal. The danger is to the applicator(s) - no residual toxicity. Some landscape and nursery people know how to do that and might have the stuff.

Jack
Old March 10, 2020   #19
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Do you have any experience with: Actinovate or Monterey Lawn & Garden nematode control??
Thanks
Rick
Central South Carolina
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2020   #20
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Need info. Are you saying tomatoes listed as {N} resistant is knocked out if temps rise above 85*. I live in South Carolina and we go mid 90+S July August. Sometimes 3 digits.
Any info. on Actinovate or Montery Nematode Control?
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nematodes , tomato