Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 7, 2019   #61
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There is one Goldrush pepper plant the emerged Wednesday.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2019   #62
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The pepper plants are growing faster than I can remember. I had had to buy party cups because it's already that time. I would post a picture, but I don't want to waste Tomatoville storage space.
Old February 14, 2019   #63
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Happy Valentines Day. I hope you are having a good one.

Today me and our older grandson (The one that says he doesn't like tomatoes, but loves ketchup) potted up:

6 Pretty N Sweet F1
4 Nadapeno F1
4 Fooled You F1
2 Jimmy Nardello

The ones still too small to pot up are:

1 Fort Knox F1
3 Alma Paprika
Old February 26, 2019   #64
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Hello Robert-

I've yet to find a heatless jalapeno with any taste. The Nadapeno sounded so good from your post that I went ahead and ordered it.

It was one of the first to germinate, but only one seed is producing a viable seedling. The other seeds that germinated are headless, the top is pinched and drying up like a thread at where the leaves should be. No sign of a headless horseman with a seed coat on the ground. Sort of a reverse damping off.

I have over a dozen other pepper varieties in the tray and none of the others have any distress. Did you see anything like this?

I googles this variety and if I remember correctly Seminis was the wholesale source.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019   #65
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Mine germinated normally and are growing quickly. The seeds were bought from Rare Seeds (I can't think of its other name.) ... Baker Creek lol.
Old February 26, 2019   #66
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Check out the New Mexico State University Chile Pepper Institute site. They have Numex Primavera Jalapeno that is mild, and they have Numex Trick or Treat habanero that has no heat, but habanero flavor.

https://cpi.nmsu.edu/

I'm growing Numex Big Jim and another Numex type anaheim pepper. The Big Jim is supposed to be spicy. I imagine it's heat as similar to most poblano peppers. My late summer poblano's can be pretty warm, but the heat doesn't linger in my mouth. When I take a bite, I get a burst of heat and then it is gone very quickly/

The fooled you jalapeno's do have a good taste, but (and it is a big "but" for me) I can't get accustomed to eating jalapenos without any heat. Somehow, it doesn't seem right. In appearance and size, they look like the TAM jalapeno. When harvesting, be careful to not mix them because I don't think you can identify the hot jalapeno from the the heatless by sight.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019   #67
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I tried "Fooled You" (supposedly a hybrid) a couple of times, and it didn't do well for me here in IN. I got very few peppers, although they were mild. Hope your luck is better. I'm going with Numex Primavera next spring, and hope it comes though for me. I'm not a pepper afficionado at all, but the Numex varieties I've grown previously have done well.
-GG

The Numex varieties are developed to grow and produce best in hot, arid climates. The pepper institute was developed to produce varieties which would grow well and be productive for the farmers of New Mexico. Some of their varieties do perform well in other climates, but they were not developed for other areas. If you look closely at most of the Numex varieties, you will see they usually have heavy foliage to protect the fruit from the blazing hot sunlight of mid summer and the resulting sun scald.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019   #68
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The no heat varieties are being grown for the hell of it. I have no idea what they will taste like? They'll be good, bad, or ugly, or maybe some of all. It's just about the fun of growing peppers. Hot peppers are dirt cheap in Texas, so no real real reason to plant them.
Old April 15, 2019   #69
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today was pepper transplants plant-out day. April 15th may be the earliest I have planted out pepper plants. Two varieties I planted 2 per 5 gallon bucket. Pretty N Sweet is advertised as being able to grow in a quart pot so I think this will work. The other variety may be a different story. I had two 5 gallon buckets ready for Alma Paprika and 3 Alma plants that are smaller sized than all the other pepper plants I planted out. So, I planted two Alma in a 5 gallon bucket, and 1 in the other bucket. I've never grown them before, so we'll see.
Old April 16, 2019   #70
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

The pretty N Sweet and Fooled You you sent are doing well. I've had my plants outside
in mostly shade for a week and a half, but brought them in last night because it was suppose to be 46 degrees. Wound up being 48, I think they would have been fine outside. I think I can plant out now. Most plants will be in containers.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019   #71
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Today was pepper transplants plant-out day. April 15th may be the earliest I have planted out pepper plants. Two varieties I planted 2 per 5 gallon bucket. Pretty N Sweet is advertised as being able to grow in a quart pot so I think this will work. The other variety may be a different story. I had two 5 gallon buckets ready for Alma Paprika and 3 Alma plants that are smaller sized than all the other pepper plants I planted out. So, I planted two Alma in a 5 gallon bucket, and 1 in the other bucket. I've never grown them before, so we'll see.

Robert,

The Alma Paprika peppers that I grew were very tall and not as well branched as some other peppers. I don't recall them being small when they were transplants, but I have several different seed sources in my collection. For the tall plants that I remember, two in a 5 gallon bucket would be fine. Perhaps you have the opportunity to pinch the top of one, I do not in my climate. They were highly prolific for me, but in a "normal" summer, few ripened to make it worth growing. I prefer peppers to ripen to red.
- Lisa
Old May 9, 2019   #72
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today, 4 of us tasted Nadapeno and Fooled You. They only look like Jalapenos. I have to agree with Lisa. They don't have a lot of flavor, but the grandchildren liked them. Jan said that they are probably good to cook with. I don't know, they might be? Banana peppers don't have much flavor to me when eaten raw, but when they are sautéed they do have a good flavor.
Old June 5, 2019   #73
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

If you and/or other family and friends don't like the heat/spice of peppers - grow some Pretty N Sweet, Nadapenos, Fooled You, Jimmy Nardello, and many others. When you watch your adult child and grandchildren eating them like they were candy, and your grandchild says I've eaten 8, can I have 4 more - I'll eat them slowly...

That is why to grow them.
Old June 5, 2019   #74
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

Planted "Italian roasters" this year. Not exactly sure what they are. Where I buy my plants everything is labeled "italian' long hots, long sweets, roasters, or fryers. theyre all good but I have to laugh when I read they can be anywhere from mildly hot to super sweet.
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2019   #75
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Darn it Robert, I thought we were on to something tasty with Nadapeno. Have you tried grilling any of these heatless peppers to bring out the jalapeno flavor? Maybe pickled?

My Nadapeno plant is toast from the hail but I just replanted with a Bonnie Coolapeno. Probably all the same but one can hope.

- Lisa