Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 13, 2011   #16
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Growing Asparagus in Houston. Well, there are easier things like sword-swallowing.

I think the challenge is not enough chilling hours and thus the asparagus crowns/roots don't properly enter dormancy. Although I say that and despite the "climate change", the last few years in Houston have had the coldest winters on record that I remember. Snow used to be a once-every-other-year event, and typically there were only 1-2 weeks of temps in the 30's. The last few years have seen multiple days of snow and 3-4 weeks of temps in the 30's.

I would find out what varieties of Asparagus that Texas A&M is growing here. I believe they've got a patch of Asparagus in Bryan/CS that produces well for them. Maybe check out some of the better (non-chain) nurseries and see if they have some insight.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011   #17
yopper
Tomatovillian™

I built frame out of treated 2x6's laid it on the ground and dug 2 ft. of clay out of the inside of the frame. Then filled to the top of the frame with compost , cow manure and good dirt. [You could use the mushroon dirt.] I would not plant as asparagus in any thing that has a bottom in it as aspargus roots go realy deep.YA can't beat home grown aspargus!!!!
GOOD LUCK WHAT EVER YOU DO! YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011   #18
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Alamo, frost isn't the problem with asaparagus, too few chilling hours might be. Did'ja get yours where the sales people are knowledgable? IE not WW.

By report there are newer cultivars that require fewer chilling hours...
Old March 1, 2011   #19
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Tons of it grows in Michigan, in very sandy soil.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #20
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Yeah it's a weed in Michigan.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #21
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

It's wild in many northern states I believe. When I was a child my grandmother would take us for a ride to get wild asparagus. She would tell us to watch out the windows and yell when we saw some. I suspect she knew exactly where it was as we never seemed to ride that long without finding some. It WAS quite common to find it growing along the road or in overgrown fields. I still harvest some from my FIL's field. It's been there at least 50 years and probably much longer. I get some tremendous spears. Thick as 2 thumbs, my grandma would say. Sadly I don't see it much along the roads any longer. Probably too much road improvement. Most of the roads were dirt or just oiled at the time(late 1940's and early 50's).
Tom
Old March 31, 2011   #22
grapenut
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
If I have 18 crowns, about how much asparagus could I get from that? Assuming that I do everything right.
On average you can expect around 1/2 pound per plant +/- and for eating raw, Purple Passion is the only way to go, very sweet.
grapenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2011   #23
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Yeah it's a weed in Michigan.
Yes, you can pick it on the roadside in many counties. Morels and Asparagus for breakfast, Mmmmmmmmmm
Old April 5, 2011   #24
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapenut View Post
On average you can expect around 1/2 pound per plant +/- and for eating raw, Purple Passion is the only way to go, very sweet.
Yes the purple types are the best for sweetness,ive got the Pacific Purple variety which i grew from seed,i'm fortunately that i live in a remote area so there no other asparagus within five miles, so now that my plants are 6 years old the seed i'm now harvesting seed thats true to type,ive got truck loads of seed pods turning red now if anyone would like some seed to do a trade send me a PM.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #25
grapenut
Tomatovillian™

So, how is the taste compared to Purple Passion? I had no idea there was another Purple one out there...Cool!
grapenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011   #26
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

I've grown asparagus at my last two homes. My first attempt I purchased expensive male only hybrid 4 year old premium roots and then planted them too deep (18 inches) and still half of them produced wonderfully for years until I moved. My second attempt was at my current house, I purchased inexpensive "Martha Washington" roots at our hardware store here in town. The roots were 8 per bag for $3.99 and I bought two bags and planted them in 2008. Ours are planted in mostly common garden soil, I added some sand and maybe some compost and planted them about 8 inches deep. Now this Spring, three years later we have picked asparagus three times already this year and it is coming up very well. You will probably do fine just don't pick the first year, only a light picking year two and then pick for about 10 weeks each Spring after that then let it grow into ferns for the remainder of the year. I'm not sure if this method is textbook accurate but it is working well for me in zone 5b Indiana.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Asparagus 2011 S.jpg (96.7 KB, 31 views)
“Men should stop fighting among themselves and start fighting insects”
Luther Burbank
Indyartist is offline   Reply With Quote